Author Topic: Horses have no natural predators  (Read 28686 times)

Offline Siboire

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
  • Sergentariá D'armas
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Occitan
  • Game nicks: Occitan_FullMetalJacket
Re: Horses have no natural predators
« Reply #135 on: May 09, 2011, 07:46:54 pm »
In NA cav isn't op...
Not as much cav as there are in EU (I've plyed on Eu servers)
ranged weapons balance out cav fine
2-4 arrows horsey dead
1-3 throwing weapons horsey dead
1 pike horsey dead

nerfing heirlooms for horses is a bad idea
like magikarp said
Arabian horse needs a bad nerf
it turns unnaturally well
nothing can turn with it an therefore it can take angles that Noone can fuck with

drop is maneveur to 45
and it will only have 49 maneuver at champion

+1 to EVERYTHING said here

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #136 on: May 09, 2011, 07:49:45 pm »
Dont forgot about the formula 1 courser
Courser is fine, that speed won't do you any good, makes you so unmanouverable, that youll always get instakilled when you fuck up.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #137 on: May 09, 2011, 07:59:06 pm »
Is it possible to decrease the sound for friendly cavs, yet increase it for enemy cavs? Sometimes when cavs are directly behind me, I cannot hear them until I'm already about to get impaled.

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm going to need you playing at 6AM on Saturday..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: POSTMASTER_PHANTOM0_OF_BIRD
  • IRC nick: PhantomZero
« Reply #138 on: May 09, 2011, 09:15:58 pm »
There should be a ninja horse to go with the ninja armor/weapons that is equipped with horse socks that makes them quieter when running around.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #139 on: May 09, 2011, 09:25:09 pm »
There should be a ninja horse to go with the ninja armor/weapons that is equipped with horse socks that makes them quieter when running around.
Disclaimer:
The views expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of, and should not be attributed to, Clan Ninja or any of its affiliates.

Offline Bonze

• Knight
  • Renown: 47
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Anti-Fagcher-Liberation-Front (AFLF)
  • Game nicks: King of FF bump
« Reply #140 on: May 09, 2011, 09:35:37 pm »
In NA cav isn't op...
Not as much cav as there are in EU (I've plyed on Eu servers)
ranged weapons balance out cav fine
2-4 arrows horsey dead
1-3 throwing weapons horsey dead
1 pike horsey dead

nerfing heirlooms for horses is a bad idea
like magikarp said
Arabian horse needs a bad nerf
it turns unnaturally well
nothing can turn with it an therefore it can take angles that Noone can fuck with

drop is maneveur to 45
and it will only have 49 maneuver at champion

in europe

7-15 arrows
3-7 throwing
1-4 pike

:wink:

Got no Balls? Play archer. Got no sex? Play horse archer.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 09, 2011, 09:40:37 pm »
Ya, I was reading that and I can't name a time when I've had 2 non-headshotting arrows kill a horse.

With the recent nerf to throwing, if use a throwing lance to kill a horse, you have lost half your ammo for the round. This means that if you, in fact, nail the rider with your next throwing lance, you are unarmed and completely defenseless.

Pikes: 1 pike may stop a horse, but it won't kill it. Typically I have to get 2 perfect stabs on a horse to kill it. With a horse stopped right in my face, a pike's hit often whiffs and does little damage to the horse.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #142 on: May 09, 2011, 11:24:22 pm »
Ya, I was reading that and I can't name a time when I've had 2 non-headshotting arrows kill a horse.

Pikes: 1 pike may stop a horse, but it won't kill it. Typically I have to get 2 perfect stabs on a horse to kill it. With a horse stopped right in my face, a pike's hit often whiffs and does little damage to the horse.
In NA most archers go 9 PD strong/war bow and such, and 2 arrows non headshot will drop coursers/arabian warhorses/etc. Anything not armored in 2 or 3 arrows. Pretty much guaranteed.
I don't know about EU metagame for archer builds, but from what I hear your archers tend to go low PD and prefer to run from melee too?

I 1 hit horses with a pike all day. If it is something like a war horse or heavier? I will usually kill it with the second stab before it can run away after being stopped. If it survives it will be with absolutely no health and will drop to an arrow or 2 guaranteed. If the pikeman has proper footwork He will NEVER GLANCE on a horse unless it is running away from him -- in which case the pikeman didn't stop it in the first place.

Oh, and if you stop the horse it is dead. There are these things called teammates, and if you are a pikeman you are ALWAYS BY TEAMMATES [Or you are doing pikeman wrong, what are you protecting from cav lololol]. 97% of horses that I stop die and my teammates appreciate the kill if I don't get it myself.

Again, this is a teamwork issue and not a balance issue. IF archers shoot the cav they are gone within a minute of the match and I don't even get to dehorse them! You guys ever see a group of 5 archers calling out targets and focus firing cav while protected by a guy with a long stick? Oh my god cav literally drop in less than 5 seconds if within sight of the archers. Cav can't do anything to it. Try it sometime. You will find it so enjoyable.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 11:31:03 pm by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Chestaclese

• Earl
  • Renown: 340
  • Infamy: 106
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
« Reply #143 on: May 10, 2011, 12:06:44 am »
In NA most archers go 9 PD strong/war bow and such, and 2 arrows non headshot will drop coursers/arabian warhorses/etc. Anything not armored in 2 or 3 arrows. Pretty much guaranteed.
I don't know about EU metagame for archer builds, but from what I hear your archers tend to go low PD and prefer to run from melee too?

I 1 hit horses with a pike all day. If it is something like a war horse or heavier? I will usually kill it with the second stab before it can run away after being stopped. If it survives it will be with absolutely no health and will drop to an arrow or 2 guaranteed. If the pikeman has proper footwork He will NEVER GLANCE on a horse unless it is running away from him -- in which case the pikeman didn't stop it in the first place.

Oh, and if you stop the horse it is dead. There are these things called teammates, and if you are a pikeman you are ALWAYS BY TEAMMATES [Or you are doing pikeman wrong, what are you protecting from cav lololol]. 97% of horses that I stop die and my teammates appreciate the kill if I don't get it myself.

Again, this is a teamwork issue and not a balance issue. IF archers shoot the cav they are gone within a minute of the match and I don't even get to dehorse them! You guys ever see a group of 5 archers calling out targets and focus firing cav while protected by a guy with a long stick? Oh my god cav literally drop in less than 5 seconds if within sight of the archers. Cav can't do anything to it. Try it sometime. You will find it so enjoyable.

You're totally right. Needing six people to take down 1 horse is completely balanced.
"Threatening Chesty with tea bagging is clearly not worth the effort. It is like offering sex addict an orgy." - BaleofGay.

"ILL OPEN MY GIFTS LATER MOM, IM BUSY FIGHTING CHESTACLES IN AN ONLINE HORSE SIMULATOR GAME." - Oprah Winafrey

“He's using everything he can to get me banned, admins please don't let him get away with this. He's ban baiting me, please help.” - Ducky_The_Banned

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 10, 2011, 12:54:06 am »
@Marathon, I'm on NA, and we actually play together quite often, though my character names are different than my forum names.

Currently my most active characters are a cavalry HA hybrid, and a polearm wielder. With 6, soon to be 7 PD, one-shotting a full health cavalry is rare. On my HA, who currently is only using a rouncey, only the occasional super high PD/Longbow archer can take out my horse with 2 shots. Additionally, I have to be closing in on the archer for this to happen.

As chestaclese has pointed out, balancing a game where one character requires multiple characters to be defeated hints at an imbalanced game. Additionally, the situation you described of the piker/archer combo is pretty romanticized, and as someone who has played with you as a horseman, it is very rare.

Occasionally you will see an organized squad, but most of the time, if I'm focusing (which often im not!), I can swoop in and  get a guaranteed couple of kills.

Another factor you are leaving out: organized horsemen. In the situation you described, a lone horseman can be killed by a greater number of players. However, on a level field, if you have the same number of infantry versus an equal number of horsemen, if both teams are equally organized or disorganized, the horsemen should come out on top in the current patch.

Archers? Guess what, horsemen are also very deadly archers.
Throwers? Thanks to the patch, the top tier throwing weapons are inferior to low tier ones due to ammo restraints and nerfs. Throwing is now a minor annoyance.
Pikes? Still a problem, but much less so of one thanks to the fact that very few people on the battlefield use them. They are a highly inconvenient weapon.
Xbows can be pretty damning, but they need cover to be a threat.

And remember, player skill always plays a strong part in this. A single ancedote or example most likely won't carry a lot of weight. Keep your eyes open, because you're going to see more and more cavalry and HA this patch once people start catching on. You're also going to see these players do better than they normally do with an infantry character.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Huey Newton

• Duke
  • Renown: 555
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Huey_Newton
« Reply #145 on: May 10, 2011, 01:34:06 am »
yes cavalry will do better
but
it costs much more

so

less gold more kills = cavalry

more gold less kills = infantry

which one do you want?

your choice

also theres plenty of terrifying pikemen that onehit my horse every time

waltf4 (god forbid im near him),Brunchlady etc

the only thing OP about cavalry is the arabian war horse
it turns unlike any horse irl
 and i know this game isnt based off realism, but this is pushing even the most wild persons imagination

Offline Siboire

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
  • Sergentariá D'armas
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Occitan
  • Game nicks: Occitan_FullMetalJacket
« Reply #146 on: May 10, 2011, 02:13:41 am »

completly right.

You're totally right. Needing six people to take down 1 horse is completely balanced.

Oh and a Tin Can (heirloomed) shielder with a metal shield  and a steel pick can be as hard to kill as a cav and it costs as much for upkeep. I know a guy who can't be killed beside being ganged up on or couched by a cav cuz he pumped his str while using that equipment just mentionned... will u ask for a nerf on him too?  8-) also, look at how TS group of archers on NA when working togeter are able to easily dispose of ennemy cavs  :wink:

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #147 on: May 10, 2011, 03:20:48 am »
I've come to retract my previous statements. After the heirloom reset, I was able to go with a Warbow and pure archer setup. I had to scramble for weapons to melee, (though Ive since picked up a weak 0 slot 1 hander), but I was able to go from negative k/d with a Masterwork Strong bow (both hybrid and pure), to a postive k/d with the warbow. It does enough damage to drop horses, usually in 2-3 shots, but I've seen one (unarmored) take 4 to bring down.

The Arabian Jetpack is still ridiculous, though more from a melee standpoint.
Speed bonus on a lance turned 90 degrees for a 1 hit kill is still silly.

Throwing is broken though. I feel bad for those who have played the build for 6 months or more and are Gen 1.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #148 on: May 10, 2011, 03:22:02 am »
I've come to retract my previous statements. After the heirloom reset, I was able to go with a Warbow and pure archer setup. I had to scramble for weapons to melee, (though Ive since picked up a weak 0 slot 1 hander), but I was able to go from negative k/d with a Masterwork Strong bow (both hybrid and pure), to a postive k/d with the warbow. It does enough damage to drop horses, usually in 2-3 shots, but I've seen one (unarmored) take 4 to bring down.

The Arabian Jetpack is still ridiculous, though more from a melee standpoint.
Speed bonus on a lance turned 90 degrees for a 1 hit kill is still silly.

Throwing is broken though. I feel bad for those who have played the build for 6 months or more and are Gen 1.

Gran Pappy?
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Chestaclese

• Earl
  • Renown: 340
  • Infamy: 106
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
« Reply #149 on: May 10, 2011, 03:22:18 am »
completly right.

Oh and a Tin Can (heirloomed) shielder with a metal shield  and a steel pick can be as hard to kill as a cav and it costs as much for upkeep. I know a guy who can't be killed beside being ganged up on or couched by a cav cuz he pumped his str while using that equipment just mentionned... will u ask for a nerf on him too?  8-) also, look at how TS group of archers on NA when working togeter are able to easily dispose of ennemy cavs  :wink:

I can run away and or chose to engage the tin can. I could even actively hunt him every round if I wanted to. I can not do the same with cavalry. To even DEFEND myself against calvary I have to spawn with a weapon I have no proficiency in. Additionaly, the polearms you need to kill calvary restict your use of other weapons because they are unsheethable and take up two inventory slots
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 03:34:51 am by Chestaclese »
"Threatening Chesty with tea bagging is clearly not worth the effort. It is like offering sex addict an orgy." - BaleofGay.

"ILL OPEN MY GIFTS LATER MOM, IM BUSY FIGHTING CHESTACLES IN AN ONLINE HORSE SIMULATOR GAME." - Oprah Winafrey

“He's using everything he can to get me banned, admins please don't let him get away with this. He's ban baiting me, please help.” - Ducky_The_Banned