Author Topic: Horses have no natural predators  (Read 29066 times)

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Horses have no natural predators
« Reply #105 on: May 07, 2011, 07:04:49 pm »
Lol, all I see in this thread is stupid whine, people have perfectly and readily available weapons (pikes, bamboo spears, war spear) to deal with cavs but they whine anyway and not use said weapon, one thing I noticed is how apparently everyone want to just roll in with their main weapon and kill 10 people a second while dehorsing and slaughtering cavs left and right, then they complain they got killed by cav because they're trying to take them on alone.

Offline Chestaclese

• Earl
  • Renown: 340
  • Infamy: 106
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2011, 07:42:55 pm »
Lol, all I see in this thread is stupid whine, people have perfectly and readily available weapons (pikes, bamboo spears, war spear) to deal with cavs but they whine anyway and not use said weapon, one thing I noticed is how apparently everyone want to just roll in with their main weapon and kill 10 people a second while dehorsing and slaughtering cavs left and right, then they complain they got killed by cav because they're trying to take them on alone.

I don't think people are whining. I was just making an observation. The weapons you just listed are all good defensive weapons against cavalary but they aren't offensive weapons in that you can run after and hunt cav with them.

The throwing nerf has more to do with the throwing stacks being reduced than anything. That is the reason only diehard throwers like Native are still around and everyone else has moved on. The decreased throwing stacks makes throwing completely useless in strategus in my opinion and certainly less fun to play on the servers with.

It was a few pages back but someone brought up the arguement that a server filled 20% with calvary is a reasonably slice. That is entirely wrong because there are more than just five types of player classes. There are shield and board, 2h, polearm, archers, crossbowmen, calvary, and throwers. Throwing is the least represented class on the battlefield and I believe calvary will be the most.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 07:44:02 pm by Chestaclese »
"Threatening Chesty with tea bagging is clearly not worth the effort. It is like offering sex addict an orgy." - BaleofGay.

"ILL OPEN MY GIFTS LATER MOM, IM BUSY FIGHTING CHESTACLES IN AN ONLINE HORSE SIMULATOR GAME." - Oprah Winafrey

“He's using everything he can to get me banned, admins please don't let him get away with this. He's ban baiting me, please help.” - Ducky_The_Banned

Offline EyeBeat

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 175
  • 20th BEST PLAYER IN HOSPITALLER
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: EyeBeat_The_Wanderer
  • IRC nick: EyeBeat
« Reply #107 on: May 07, 2011, 08:32:36 pm »
Yeah I didn't care when bows were king.  I didn't care when throwing was king.  I am 1h/shield and this cav thong wouldn't be bad if there was a 1h polearm of some sort that was good for anti cav. 

Hopefully something gets changed.  This is ridiculous.

If not let me know so I can retire and change my character.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Being a smallish community doesn't entitle you to act more like a dick than other communities.

Offline Siboire

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
  • Sergentariá D'armas
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Occitan
  • Game nicks: Occitan_FullMetalJacket
« Reply #108 on: May 07, 2011, 09:40:01 pm »
I once QQed like a lot of u are doing over being killed by cav but I tried cav before starting a thread like this one. Cav can dish out a good amount of damage (one hit kill sometimes) but if we're not patient/skilled we can get one shot killed too, it goes both directions. Also, we pay a lot for upkeep, a decent horse is 20k+ alone plus you add the price for a lance (heavy lance is 6k for example) and that's without shield and armor... in résumé it's expensive: you need to sacrifice armor to afford a good horse. If you tell me "oh you can take a palfrey or some low budget horse and still be OP" ... like not really! 2-3 arrows of Qaki with his kergit bow took my palfrey down and it was full health and no headshot! and he wasn't the only archer that annoyed me on my horse. Also, controlling your horse and stab at same time makes you pretty much "tunnel vision" on ur prey: you can't really see in front, in ur back or on ur other side, so you can now be easily back stabbed by another cav or somebody hiding near. For the "pike is not an offensive weapon", stick togeter, only one or 2 pikemen with a good situational awareness playing in a group with teamwork can easily protect you from horses AND can be really helpful in melee. I already did a dedicated pikeman once and I can tell u it's really effective with teamwork and I could easily one shot a horse and it's rider (stab from the front in the neck of the horse, it will kill the horse (if it's running fast enough) and kill the rider at the same time), you can also stop a horse by stabbing it on the side at an angle of 90 degree or less from it's front and poke it again and it will kill the horse for sure and than proceed in anal raping the cav while he's taking a nap on the floor. So many times I went around a corner to get one shotted by a (regular) crossbow in the chest cuz I had the speed bonus working against me. Same thing goes for archers, good archers killed me and other cavs a lot of times that way.

Oh and having more cavs on battle servers has increased the amount of dedicated pikeman, which gives a whole purpose to a class that did not existed pre-patch due to the fact that anyone could hide a pike in their poket and stab you in the face at last second. Also, it's not true about the cavs not going after another cav, it's much likely the contrary. Whenever I see an ennemy cav, he goes after me (or I go after him) and whenever we're a group of cavs in same team (not necessarly from same clan), we just stick togeter and gang on ennemy cavs too.

IMHO the class is alright cuz it's an expensive class and it's like a glass canon: do a lot of damage but risk getting killed really easily.

Edit: thx for taking the time to fully read my long text lol  :) 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 09:44:16 pm by Siboire »

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #109 on: May 07, 2011, 09:42:09 pm »
How is it shitty? Get surround sound headsets if you want to know where the sound came from. Hearing loud cavalry sounds is a warning, looking around is something perfectly doable. Why can't you what others can?

Hurr durr durr, someone thinks he has skilzz, I can beatz any cavalryman on foot! But I can't lookz aroundz meh!
Seriously, if you can't keep track of whats happening around you, how can you ever keep track of someones hits?

:wink:

You're an idiot.  I said within the first sentance I'm using a headset (yes, surround sound).  The sound engine in this game is SHITTY.  You cannot deny that.  Compared to any standard FPS (hell, RTS or MMO for that matter nowadays) the sound system is complete crap.  Secondly, and you fucking quoted me ffs, I made mention that cav is rediculously easy to track once you spot them which is how I hunt them.  Do you even read what you quote?  FFS man, if you weren't cav I'd expect better but I suppose this is par for the course here.

*Hearing loud cav sounds when they're across the map, while having silent horses right fucking behind you is ONE of the ways the sound system is shitty.  You're just defending it because of your cav bias of course, which is to be expected.  If this game got patched with a REAL surround sound engine you can bet your ass cav awareness in infantry would go up 200% easy.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #110 on: May 07, 2011, 09:45:37 pm »
It was a few pages back but someone brought up the arguement that a server filled 20% with calvary is a reasonably slice. That is entirely wrong because there are more than just five types of player classes. There are shield and board, 2h, polearm, archers, crossbowmen, calvary, and throwers. Throwing is the least represented class on the battlefield and I believe calvary will be the most.
First of all, all I've seen since this patch is a massive increase in archers and shielders. Ranged spam is back.

Secondly, cav can go many ways too: Lancer, Horse Archer, Mounted Thrower, Mounted Crossbowman, 1Hander+Shield, Mounted 2hander.
People are merely whining that the cavalry class is finally being played. While the others know how to fight us and do so admirably.

@Gorath: Yes the sound engine is crappy, but you are relying too much on hearing us than seeing us probably. And I'm not biased, I have over 10 alts, I play almost every class there is available. If anything gets nerfed, you bet that one of more of my alts got nerfed. This also means that I know more than enough about every class to reply objectively.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 09:48:06 pm by Magikarp »
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #111 on: May 07, 2011, 09:47:23 pm »
Secondly, cav can go many ways too: Lancer, Horse Archer, Mounted Thrower, Mounted Crossbowman, 1Hander+Shield, Mounted 2hander.

Edited out all the shitty non-viable ones that damn near no cav plays in any kind of serious manner other than for gimmicky lulz and trololo'ing

Offline Bjarky

• Earl
  • Renown: 352
  • Infamy: 31
  • U got gold? I bring tea, silk, hemp, camels +more!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Leadership member)
  • Game nicks: Guard_BD_Bjarky, Guard_the_Lederhosen
  • IRC nick: bjarky
« Reply #112 on: May 07, 2011, 09:49:07 pm »
:
Yeah I didn't care when bows were king.  I didn't care when throwing was king.  I am 1h/shield and this cav thong wouldn't be bad if there was a 1h polearm of some sort that was good for anti cav. 

Hopefully something gets changed.  This is ridiculous.

If not let me know so I can retire and change my character.
have u tried the redtassel/warspear, awlpike or bamboospear?
u don't need wpf to use them properly and they work together with a shield (bamboo can't sheath though, but is fine for the start of the round) :twisted:
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 09:52:32 pm by Bjarky »

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #113 on: May 07, 2011, 09:50:57 pm »
Edited out all the shitty non-viable ones that damn near no cav plays in any kind of serious manner other than for gimmicky lulz and trololo'ing
Except that the people using onehanders on horses are returning to the game? I've seen at least 25% of the cav use onehanders. Mounted Crossbowman sadly can't get a buff, since it will buff Crossbowmen too. Mounted Throwing is just not popular atm, dunno why. Mounted 2hander is just as viable as onehander and shield.

But yeah, HA and Lancers are better because they can keep more distance from their foes.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 07, 2011, 10:13:54 pm »

I have a mounted 2h polearm horse, and it works perfectly fine. Its actually incredibly easy to get kills with.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Siboire

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
  • Sergentariá D'armas
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Occitan
  • Game nicks: Occitan_FullMetalJacket
« Reply #115 on: May 07, 2011, 10:17:32 pm »

I don't think horse throwers, 2h/1h-shield mounted are for lulz... they can be quite effective! Horsethrowers can easily own my horse, it's a powerful anti-cav build. 2h/1h shield can use weapons like Morninstar and be really effective, just look at Dan_ATS (if I remember correctly). He was a 2hander and he would spawn with a horse and use his morning star (no shield at all) while mounted, dismounted he would use a sword of war or something similar and he would do both really effectively (toping score board). Same goes for one hander, no lulz-build here.

Offline Lorenzo_of_Iberia

• Baron
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Peloponnesian League
  • Game nicks: Lorenzo_of_Numidia , PL_Hoplitai_Lorenzo
« Reply #116 on: May 07, 2011, 10:25:58 pm »

I have a very viable Horse Thrower that if you ever have the pleasure of meeting will gladly put a javelin through your chest :P And then i will take your belongings and make them trophies in my house for your crimes against uniqueness :D
Your local Jav Cav

Looking for like Minded Hoplites? Look no further - http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,22631.0.html

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #117 on: May 07, 2011, 10:35:01 pm »
First of all, double posting is not allowed on any forum. Use the modify button instead.

Secondly, all ranged characters are more deadly to my efforts than a pike. A pike I can avoid, unless hes in the last group of enemies alive. Throwers simply were forced to go for more agility and thus more wpf, is that so bad? Everyone else has to, why can't you? Throwers are still a pain in the ass with their weapons, yesterday a teammate even tked me, at 50% damage, with a heavy throwing axe.

About your whole cavalry don't counter themselves argument, that's pretty invalid. Why wouldn't they be a counter to themselves?

Throwers were not the best counter, ever, archers and crossbowmen are.

You could even say that throwers were everyones counter, since they were so OP.

Got more?

You've got nothing but falsehoods. A lie told often enough is truth? Not when the evidence is reviewed by those with eyes that see. I'm certain that most of the Dev's are able. But you may continue your spam and imagine that you are accomplishing your goal.  :wink:
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 07, 2011, 10:36:28 pm »
And I have a str-build long dagger user (who pre-patch also had riding for the hell of it).

Doesn't mean it's viable just because it's unique and can score kills here and there.   :wink:

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #119 on: May 07, 2011, 10:38:26 pm »
Besides man, the mountain lion or cougar is the horse's only natural predator, due to their speed and sleep patterns.