Author Topic: What do western people think about Syria? What does your media tell you?  (Read 5601 times)

Offline Henry_Broodsonson

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsfhny3oz3o
    • View Profile
No, if it was right they would be harmonized.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Alas I will not because up until about 2 years ago I very much shared your view. It's partly why I still question so much rather just blindly follow something. I only picked up the Quran because I was curious but it appealed to the logical side of my brain where Christianity came across as utter bull for the most part (at least the stories). And I bring that questioning to every aspect of Islam.

How can something completely illogical appeal to the logical side of your brain? Are you a woman? If so, you are forgiven, otherwise, please refrain from attempting to use the term "logic" from now on, okay?

Then they take out a knife and stab each other.

If they only stabbed each other, all would be fine.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
How can something completely illogical appeal to the logical side of your brain? Are you a woman? If so, you are forgiven, otherwise, please refrain from attempting to use the term "logic" from now on, okay?

If they only stabbed each other, all would be fine.

Way to be a douche. I've always been more on the agnostic side but I fell out with Christianity a long time ago and ever since argued firmly against religion, but not necessarily God. In terms of logical when I was reading the Quran the stories are a lot more believable and practical, the rules and laws make logical sense and when you put it all together it adds up if you have faith. That's what I meant by that so stfu.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 918
  • Infamy: 1394
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
+2
If you're into researching religious stories, I suggest Hinduism. Things aren't simple like in Christianity and to some extent, Islam. There are some really interesting stories in there. Also, the concept of having three gods which are basically one (but split into different roles) makes much more sense than Christian idea of good and evil (God and Devil).

It makes perfect sense that there's more logic in Islam than in Christianity. Islam is the youngest of all major religions, they had the chance to learn from others and avoid some obvious logical fallacies in their dogma.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
If you're into researching religious stories, I suggest Hinduism. Things aren't simple like in Christianity and to some extent, Islam. There are some really interesting stories in there. Also, the concept of having three gods which are basically one (but split into different roles) makes much more sense than Christian idea of good and evil (God and Devil).

It makes perfect sense that there's more logic in Islam than in Christianity. Islam is the youngest of all major religions, they had the chance to learn from others and avoid some obvious logical fallacies in their dogma.

Hinduism has some fantastic and fascinating stories. But you can really sense that they all derived from famous historical figures who were eventually turned into deity's. They have some ridiculous number of God's to. Numbering into the millions.

That is true. My dad's reading a book that suggests that Islam is largely influenced by Zoroastrianism as well. They pray 5 times a day and a whole bunch of other stuff which is remarkably similar. Some of it is partially why I think a lot of Islamic influence in the hadith is purely cultural and not really faith related: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoroastrianism

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
+1
As brutal a dictator as Assad is, I still see him as better for Syria than whatever would emerge from the "coalition" of rebels fighting against him. The most likely outcome would be total fragmentation of Syria along ethnic lines.

It's not the most likely outcome, it is THE outcome if the Assad regime falls. I have some Syrian acquaintances I got to know through a seminar on the conflict in Syria (I was interning at a newspaper, so had to do some research), and as much as they despised Assad for his dogmatic ways they preferred his rule over any coalition of rebel groups. In the event of the Assad regime's fall, an ethnic cleansing would be imminent almost as a direct consequence.

Syria used to be a very tolerable country, in fact it used to be considered the Switzerland of the Middle East. Sadly, the Muslim Brotherhood put a swift end to that.

So as much shit Assad does, he's a far better alternative than ethnic massacre.

Also, Abay and OD(Overdose?)_Harry, whatever drug you're using or have used must've fucked up your brains because anyone believing that shit for two seconds is either completely devoid of a brain or brainwashed beyond redemption. Get a fucking grip.
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline SoA_Sir_ODHarry

• Baron
  • Renown: 134
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ODharry
Well that "Bankstas" see a way ,in High Food prices and Wars, too make Profits are well known.Also that most Humans have a Price regarding too Mass Media....
and how the Wealth of our Planet is generally distributed also is well known.Few have much ,many have nothing.I do not believe anything in the interactual TV(Internet) but I believe in this sentence:
both on the large and small scale

At this way u will find the Truth in many Informations u might wouldnt believe.

but u right Iam often overdosed by Alcoholics :oops:
Crob: i'm in duel tryin to not be shit
Crob: now i'm running round eu2 with a dagger

JOIN The Horde NAO
       http://steamcommunity.com/groups/F-POC

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
What the actual fuck did I just read?
And how!

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
+2
1) Fire the orbital Ion Cannon

2) Pave the hole with concrete

3) Make Kebab stands

4) Enjoy Kebabs
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Abay

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 183
  • cRPG Player
  • Steam: badbreaking
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kapikulu
  • Game nicks: Kapikulu_Abay
Good morning  :)

I see some serious discussions on different matters here. Actually, I am happy to see some guys who really think after reading something or not believing everything he read or watch. Lets begin.

About religion:  Well, everyone who talks about Islam is mainly thinking about praying styles. It is strange that in Islam, prayings are not important as you think. If a muslim prays 5 times in a day but still keeps doing usury with illegally or with bank, we cannot say he has 100% faith. You know, more than 50% of Turkish population has dept to the banks cos of using usury even if they say ''we are muslims''. But Quran says that if someone is in a usury thing, you will visit the hell. Yes, Quran doesnt tell praying styles but it tells this directly. But people dont care much and still pointing praying styles. Also, Quran orders to work but main muslim(only they call themselves muslim) population ignores this. Do they think if a building could be built by itself while they are praying for example?

Another problem with religion is defining religions of people. In Islam, no-one can say ''you are muslim, you are christian, you are atheist, you will go to the hell, you will go to the heaven, you are sunni, you are shii, etc...''. When we follow history of religions, people always try to put someone between God and themselves. So they can blame someone if something goes wrong or point him when they face with God. But in Islam(I think it is  same in every religions), you cannot put someone between you and God. For example if someone calls himself an ''atheist'', you cannot say ''you will go to the hell''. Cos life is long, he can return to believe in God or he just does it but lies, etc. Only God knows at the end. On the other hand, only God can decide who goes hell and heaven. In Islam, deciding someone's religion is a great sin like ''seeing himself like a God''. We call it ''şirk, shirk'' in Turkish. I think it is a great problem for whole world.
Lets think if we cannot decide(like quran orders) religions on people's mind... We wouldnt fight for religions in the past or now(I dont think they still fight for religions but they show themselves as a reason denyable)...

About Syria, I found good responses from you guys. Especially Harry.

About Turkey, Turkish government and people... Well, Turkish government is a tongs of US government it seems. They try to provoke Turkish population for convincing them to declare a war against Syrian government with their papers and tv channels. But Turkish people started to see the truth about Turkish government and understand there is no reason to fight against our Syrian brothers.

Have a good day  :wink:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:28:19 am by Hurricane »
[17:48] <Vovka> thx chadz

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
+1
That day, when Henry_Broodsonson isn't the one making the least sense in some thread.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
Is that a challenge?
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Henry_Broodsonson

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsfhny3oz3o
    • View Profile
+1
That day, when Henry_Broodsonson isn't the one making the least sense in some thread.

Offline Torost

• Count
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 109
    • View Profile
Westerners were euforic and deluded in the beginning of the arabic spring.
Thinking removing oppressive regimes would result in something democracylike.
Mubarak and Ghaddafi fell easily, so why not Assad?
Not stopping to see the huge differences.

The mainstream media served up a concoction of propagandalike stories misrepresenting the situation.
Mostly favoring the "rebels".

You could see this clearly in the bettingmarkets in the summer/autumn of 2012.
Resulting in odds 1.33 (25%) on Assad to fall / 4.00 (75%)on Assad to stay in power until 1.jan 2013.
Everyone wanted to bet on Assad falling. Wishfull thinking?

All civil wars are ugly, and the longer they last the uglier they become.
Filling youtube and the like with footage of untrained peasants and kids shooting aimlessly from the hip towards Assads forces generates support.
Filling youtube with executions and screams of "Allah o Ackbar!" does not.

When reality broke the bubble, showing both sides were seriosly flawed, I think alot of people became undecided.
Hoping the conflict would just end fast, either outcome.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
Westerners were euforic and deluded in the beginning of the arabic spring.
Thinking removing oppressive regimes would result in something democracylike.
Mubarak and Ghaddafi fell easily, so why not Assad?
Not stopping to see the huge differences.

The mainstream media served up a concoction of propagandalike stories misrepresenting the situation.
Mostly favoring the "rebels".

You could see this clearly in the bettingmarkets in the summer/autumn of 2012.
Resulting in odds 1.33 (25%) on Assad to fall / 4.00 (75%)on Assad to stay in power until 1.jan 2013.
Everyone wanted to bet on Assad falling. Wishfull thinking?

All civil wars are ugly, and the longer they last the uglier they become.
Filling youtube and the like with footage of untrained peasants and kids shooting aimlessly from the hip towards Assads forces generates support.
Filling youtube with executions and screams of "Allah o Ackbar!" does not.

When reality broke the bubble, showing both sides were seriosly flawed, I think alot of people became undecided.
Hoping the conflict would just end fast, either outcome.

Something like this is pretty much what I got from the media in the UK. It started out as being portrayed as a good thing. Now everyone is a lot more uncertain now that they actually know something about the individual factions.

The majority of news reports on it now focus on the refugees. Which in some ways is good because their plight does need to be highlighted now it's getting on 2 million of them.