Author Topic: By nerfing archery you are breaking the game (+ solution for kiting)  (Read 5230 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: By nerfing archery you are breaking the game (+ solution for kiting)
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2013, 11:14:04 pm »
herm ... Why can't archers hold the bow drawn more than 0.5 sec ? +1 for realism ... Longbow is hard to draw , but that's not a ballista ffs !! BUFF !!

The short accurate firing time windows are a great part of what makes archery hard to master in this game. Without it, the timing element is almost eliminated and you basically get a 2001 shooter with heavy drop (not so heavy when it comes to loomed rus or long bows) with targets that can't shoot back.

Offline Aiyasha

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
  • Free Spook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Groovy Ghoulies
  • Game nicks: Aiyasha
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2013, 11:38:35 pm »
+2
The short accurate firing time windows are a great part of what makes archery hard to master in this game. Without it, the timing element is almost eliminated and you basically get a 2001 shooter with heavy drop (not so heavy when it comes to loomed rus or long bows) with targets that can't shoot back.

And then there are crossbows.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2013, 11:43:11 pm »
+1
And then there are crossbows.

Well, I think crossbows are easier to use too. But they don't have as much mobility and are pretty screwed when there is no cover. Ever wondered why infantry rarely complains about xbows but a lot about archers (yet many archers do try to redirect complains to xbows) ? Because the first ones even though they got better damage, better missile speed, better accuracy, less drop and better melee stats, you can actually charge and fight them after they shoot.

Offline Aiyasha

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Free Spook
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2013, 11:47:20 pm »
+2
Well, I think crossbows are easier to use too. But they don't have as much mobility and are pretty screwed when there is no cover. Ever wondered why infantry rarely complains about xbows but a lot about archers (yet many archers do try to redirect complains to xbows) ? Because the first ones even though they got better damage, better missile speed, better accuracy, less drop and better melee stats, you can actually charge and fight them after they shoot.

Until you put them on a horse. And with the recent weight nerfs to arrows, you might as well be stationary since you're not going to outrun anyone wearing anything short of the heaviest armor.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2013, 01:00:20 am »
Until you put them on a horse. And with the recent weight nerfs to arrows, you might as well be stationary since you're not going to outrun anyone wearing anything short of the heaviest armor.

I kite with 3 ath, rus bow and 2 set of bodkins. You know, hiting your arrows let you kite. If you're a bad shot I guess you need to be invulnerable to infantry :rolleyes:
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2013, 01:32:35 am »
+2
I kite with 3 ath, rus bow and 2 set of bodkins. You know, hiting your arrows let you kite. If you're a bad shot I guess you need to be invulnerable to infantry :rolleyes:

I fist archers to death ... AS AN ARCHER !

Offline Aiyasha

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Free Spook
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2013, 02:03:43 am »
+1

Anybody can post that they kite with such a shitty build, but feel free to post a video of you consistently kiting over and over again (as in, more than one round.)

Offline Fringe

• Baron
  • Renown: 119
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Blackfist T.T
  • Game nicks: Fringe, Bane, Bane_of_Fringe
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2013, 02:42:54 am »
+5
Archers are supposed to kill enemies by firing arrows at them, not engaging them in melee. Basically what you're suggesting is a class that can match the inf in close quarter fighting while at the same time being able to snipe from the distance.

You're always bitching about how crpg is about teamwork, well why cant archers be a support class, firing at other archers and supporting the inf? Why do they have to be able to go rambo-mode and kill inf and cav one on one?

They don't expect them to go rambo mode and kill people like the rest. They expect them to just give up their lives because they're the best at the game, and anything that stops them from charging like a bunch of dumb fucks should be removed from the game because all they want to do is just spam their way through like selfish little pricks.

(click to show/hide)
Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2013, 03:25:15 am »
+1
Ever wondered why infantry rarely complains about xbows but a lot about archers (yet many archers do try to redirect complains to xbows) ?

Because they are meat heads and don't get that 2 separate classes fire thingy's with feathers.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Carthan

• Duke
  • Renown: 612
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • Mad scientist and creator of QUANTUM-KAFEIN
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BlackCompany
  • Game nicks: Vandal (Carthan)
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2013, 03:32:35 am »
+5
Archers are supposed to kill enemies by firing arrows at them, not engaging them in melee. Basically what you're suggesting is a class that can match the inf in close quarter fighting while at the same time being able to snipe from the distance.

You're always bitching about how crpg is about teamwork, well why cant archers be a support class, firing at other archers and supporting the inf? Why do they have to be able to go rambo-mode and kill inf and cav one on one?

Let me share a little story with you.

It was my first day after retiring to an archer and I had finally managed to get enough powerdraw to use a bow.
I gleefully walked up to the alley my team was defending and positioned myself behind our infantry and was waiting for the enemies to close in.

After waiting a short period a single two hander approached us, the team decided to charge him so I joined them eager to fight (Shoot).
As soon as we got fairly close I drew my bow ready to shoot, unfortunately was charging to fast. By the time I had by bow almost drawn he had managed to run almost directly into me, I was too slow to run and too weak to fight but I wasn't worried, my team was right there with me

..... And just then my entire team took a few steps back and watched me get slaughtered, then casually resumed stepped back into the fight as nothing had happened.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 03:35:53 am by Nazgull »
Yes, been posted before. Rather than practicing swinging a weapon, it would be better to go 1 hander and learn a martial art that specializes in takedowns, because that's all that really matters in that sport.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2013, 04:05:42 am »
+9
I really can't blame anyone not defending his ranged teammates. Not because people are supposed to hate them (I don't hate anyone in my own team, except maybe excessive teamhitters), but because standing behind is extremely boring, compared to combat. This is a game after all. Even if it is not going to make them win (despite "efforts" like multi to force people to play to win), people will mostly play the way that is more fun for them.

Well that is a nice way of excusing them for their behavior, but it doesn't fit observed facts.

Fact: Teams at end round tonight was 1 HX on one side, several melee with spears/2handers, etc and a foot archer and foot xbow. Did the melee stand guard over the xbow while it was reloading to shoot the HX down? Where they perhaps guarding the archer so he didn't get bumped to death? Oh hell no, they were running around in circles 50 feet away from their ranged trying to chase the HX while on foot! This went on for at least 2 minutes, even after the xbow was asking for them to protect him so he could reload and shoot the bastard's horse down. All the while the HX kept shooting and bumping the archer and xbow.

Sound like fun? No, of course it wasn't. But rather than a discussion of how the melee needed to use actual teamplay and tactics, the discussion turned to how the HX should be nerfed  :rolleyes:
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2013, 11:24:41 am »
Anybody can post that they kite with such a shitty build, but feel free to post a video of you consistently kiting over and over again (as in, more than one round.)

While I have a decent recorder in play claw my upload speed is nothin short of awful. If not for that fact I'd gladly do it.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline //saxon

• King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • I'm just to dam goood 😎
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Saxon
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2013, 11:32:44 am »
It is easy finding an idea and posting it, but sometimes hard to implement. So you need to think who will even create this kiting balance?

Surely the devs have better things to do making the new super cool battlegrounds game of the decade n then some.

As much as i don't like kiting, i want them having 100% of focus and time building this new battlegrounds game than taking 3 weeks+ to implement this and having less focus on B:G
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 11:37:24 am by Saxon. »

Offline justme

• Count
  • Renown: 188
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandits
  • Game nicks: Bandit_Elsupreme
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2013, 11:55:55 am »
when is this archery nerf gonna happen?

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2013, 02:41:29 pm »
It is easy finding an idea and posting it, but sometimes hard to implement. So you need to think who will even create this kiting balance?

Surely the devs have better things to do making the new super cool battlegrounds game of the decade n then some.

As much as i don't like kiting, i want them having 100% of focus and time building this new battlegrounds game than taking 3 weeks+ to implement this and having less focus on B:G

They created some official roles for people to suggest those kind of balance recently, I think its a good compromise between developing their new game in peace and supporting cRPG in the meantime