Author Topic: By nerfing archery you are breaking the game (+ solution for kiting)  (Read 5224 times)

Offline Tindel

• Earl
  • Renown: 333
  • Infamy: 238
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Tindel
Re: By nerfing archery you are breaking the game (+ solution for kiting)
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2013, 09:25:30 am »
Hmm let's see battle server are currently the most popular server... Yeah you're wrong...

Low cap? Did someone ever ask to get a bigger melee only server? Hmm guess not.

Why? because it was never full in the first place...  :rolleyes:

Wrong again.. go back to the drawing board...

Siege has a higher population than battle, so get your facts straight before trying to be a smartass.

Offline Tindel

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2013, 09:27:39 am »
Can't see a problem here, neither with archery nor cav... and you know why?

Cuz EU1 still has both of them in a good amount.

Everyone keeps saying "u suck0r when shot or couched lulz"... How about I say "u suck0r cuz u can't/don't want to adapt to the changes done to your gear lulz"?

When lots just keep playing and a few spam the forum with QQ... probably the few have an issue of being not willing to adapt.

How should i adapt to being shot in the back/head? My loomed plate helm doesnt stop me from being oneshot.  And i hate shields because of autoblock, it dumbs the game down. They only block from the front anway.....

Offline Nordwolf

• Earl
  • Renown: 492
  • Infamy: 46
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Nordwolf, 4 other Nordwolfs, Wolf_in_the_Van Victory, Earngrim, Core, Farewell, Akaio_BlackSpear +**
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2013, 10:20:20 am »
+1
I suggest not to egage in a discussion like "You are bad - no you are, archers need to be nerfed because they are bad" etc.
Atm it looks like medieval age witch burning.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2013, 10:33:09 am »
+5
Atm it looks like medieval age witch burning.

And that is exactly what archers deserve.

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2013, 10:49:28 am »
+11
I cant get my mind around people in this game. Even more so if they play for 2 years + and are 20 + years old irl as they state.

Everyone seems to think that he himself is the chosen one and has to charge into the enemy, not giving a fuck what his teammates are doing. Still people dont realise that they need ranged to take down enemy horse ranged. Do you see them support their friendly archers so they dont get cav raped ? Rarely.

Shieldless inf still holding W like champs, running straight into a bunch of archers just to get overwhelmed and then complaining afterwards. I almost never see inf doing tactical retreats, like this option doesnt even exist for inf players while archers have to do it on a regular basis in order to survive.

Inf still does not give a fuck about friendly ranged for the most part, even if the enemy team would mostly consist of horse ranged. Most important thing is always that the little melee hero gets his precious duel, although he is obviously shutting down his ranged buddy by circling around his enemy like a ballerina.

Shielder and 2h charge me and guess what happens on average ? 2h walks in front of course, not taking cover behind his buddy because he is like although its basicly something that should intuitively happen. When 2h gets shot in the process, its of course because archery is OP and not because he just acted stupid.

2 enemy ranged focusing me without much chance to shoot back because of constant dodging needed. But whats this ? The inf still feels the need to attack me although Im basicly a dead mean walking already ? Fine with me, just gives me the chance to sneak in another headshot before I get shot down because I dont really need to remain stationary for too long to build up accuracy when inf gets very close.

Of course you will be punished for those mistakes, stop asking devs to wipe your asses for you already and just be thankful that they did so far to such an extent.

rant end/

Archers get roflstomped by many things in this game. While melees have a big chunk of more survivability, people just need to understand that they cant kill everything in the game by holding W and spamming left mouse button. The next time you see an archer on an open field 50 meters away, just DONT charge him on your own. He will be most likely shot down by Xbowers or cav raped anyway and you are basicly just presenting him a target by going there. If there are no other targets left that treat you, THEN attack him with the aid of a shielder and no one except the archer will have a reason to rage.

Also just, for the love of god, learn to fall back when you are outnumbered and expect to get hit when you are close to enemy ranged. If you defend your own ranged they in turn get the chance to live long enough to deal with the enemy ranged. If you dont defend them they can obviously not survive the chaos of battle on their own anymore because of the constant nerfs and in the end there is no one left to deal with enemy ranged from a safe distance. Yes, it is a part of the game and you wont change that. If that does not appeal to you, there is always EU3.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2013, 11:05:45 am »
I like how you can only look at extremes like people holding W into ranged camps, or "heroes" looking for duels.

Risk vs reward is important. You shouldn't be rewarded with anything for standing and doing things you can do like the enemy are AI. You should be challenged by players. You shouldn't be rewarded for simply taking part.

Don't get me wrong, ranged adds a layer to the game that is better off being there. But the implementation of the ranged mechanics are so poorly implemented, its like the devs for M&B spent all that time making a melee simulator and then tacked on some ranged in the last couple months of development. The damage you get for the inputs required AND the lack of risk vs reward puts them in the position where they need to be limited in some way
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline PanPan

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 70
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2013, 11:06:38 am »

Everyone seems to think that he himself is the chosen one and has to charge into the enemy, not giving a fuck what his teammates are doing. Still people dont realise that they need ranged to take down enemy horse ranged. Do you see them support their friendly archers so they dont get cav raped ? Rarely.

It's the most saddest and boring thing a meele player can do. You know I'm playing the game to have fun (not caring much about winning) and defending an Archer isn't fun.

Offline Tindel

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2013, 11:12:13 am »
XyNox i read your whole rant and i will explain very simply why you feel the way you do.

The infantry in the other team, they hate ranged. They just want them dead and gone.
Also the infantry in your team, they also hate ranged and want them dead.
Alot of infantry consider ranged to be enemies no matter which team they belong too.

If you apply this to the situations you described, they make sense.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2013, 11:17:53 am »
+1
It's the most saddest and boring thing a meele player can do. You know I'm playing the game to have fun (not caring much about winning) and defending an Archer isn't fun.
It was fun doing teamplay back when I was infantry. Grabbing a polearm to prevent getting any enemy cavalry to get near to the archer/xbowman I'm defending, in an open field maps mostly. And I was not even a polearmer, I was a 2h back then. Using my brain to produce strategies and counter strategies was fun. More fun than charging into the enemy to get shot. Hiding behind shielders when we were about to charge archers was fun. When I was a hoplite, protecting ranged groups from both enemy ranged and enemy cavalry was fun. Teamplay part of it was fun. fun fun fun. Your statement is wrong because it was fun.

Edit:
XyNox i read your whole rant and i will explain very simply why you feel the way you do.

The infantry in the other team, they hate ranged. They just want them dead and gone.
Alot of infantry consider ranged to be enemies no matter which team they belong too.

Again you need to use your brain if you want to remove a valueble asset of the enemy. Let's say I want all terrorists to die and all goverments to crumble. Will I just grab a kitchen knife and charge the american president?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 11:21:34 am by Ronin »
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2013, 11:22:16 am »
+2
I like how you can only look at extremes like people holding W into ranged camps, or "heroes" looking for duels.

Risk vs reward is important. You shouldn't be rewarded with anything for standing and doing things you can do like the enemy are AI. You should be challenged by players. You shouldn't be rewarded for simply taking part.

Don't get me wrong, ranged adds a layer to the game that is better off being there. But the implementation of the ranged mechanics are so poorly implemented, its like the devs for M&B spent all that time making a melee simulator and then tacked on some ranged in the last couple months of development. The damage you get for the inputs required AND the lack of risk vs reward puts them in the position where they need to be limited in some way

The risk / reward thing is also a very idealized situation you are adressing here. Sure, when no one harasses you, you are free to shoot without interruption. Usually though in the thick of battle, the risk of missing a few shots can quite easily result in insta death. If cav charges you and you miss, you most likely get oneshot. If inf charges you and you cant take them down before they get close, you most likely get one/twoshot. If you stand still to take aim, you likely get oneshot by a bolt.

More depth in archery, as in a more skill - less luckbased mechanic would of course be nice. The only way to achieve this in its current state however is to stack massive wpf so your arrows have a bigger tendency to go where you aim, since accuracy cannot be influenced by skill in this game sadly.

E:

I am afraid I cant agree more with what you are saying here Tindel and will even + this post for telling the sad truth. This and this alone is the whole "problem" with ranged. Its not the rate of fire, damage or any other "stat" that makes people wanting archery nerfed, its just that people hate them. That said, if people feel the need to act that immature they simply dont deserve to be listened to when they cry about ranged being OP.

People are just REFUSING to consider ranged a class that deserves to kill them and play that way just to complain in the end that they get shot. While this is tremendously idiotic, devs still comply by nerfing ranged further. Seriously what the fuck is this ? "I do not agree with adapting my play style just because enemy has ranged because I hate them. OW I got shot ! Nerf ranged dammit, I was charging him without a shield and he took 50 % of my HP before I oneshot him ! TeH fuQ is this bullshit !!11!!1 NURF"

This behaviour should be outright bannable and I cant unterstand how a mature, mentally healthy person at the age of 20ish can function this way.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 11:44:57 am by XyNox »

Offline PanPan

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 70
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2013, 11:33:17 am »
It was fun doing teamplay back when I was infantry. Grabbing a polearm to prevent getting any enemy cavalry to get near to the archer/xbowman I'm defending, in an open field maps mostly. And I was not even a polearmer, I was a 2h back then. Using my brain to produce strategies and counter strategies was fun. More fun than charging into the enemy to get shot. Hiding behind shielders when we were about to charge archers was fun. When I was a hoplite, protecting ranged groups from both enemy ranged and enemy cavalry was fun. Teamplay part of it was fun. fun fun fun. Your statement is wrong because it was fun.

Well It's only my opinion. My statement may be wrong to alot person but I find it pretty annoying and boring stand infront of an Archer and defending him.
It's kinda humiliating imo.

Offline Tindel

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2013, 11:51:34 am »
Shields remove 50% of the fun of melee combat, this is why alot of people dont want to use them.

Autoblock = zzZZZzzzzz

Offline Dolphin

• Earl
  • Renown: 375
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Can you find my secret ?
  • Faction: The Joyous Raider
  • Game nicks: DoIphin, Siff and some alts
  • IRC nick: Dolphin
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2013, 12:18:48 pm »

Offline Fringe

• Baron
  • Renown: 119
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Blackfist T.T
  • Game nicks: Fringe, Bane, Bane_of_Fringe
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2013, 12:49:43 pm »
+3
How should i adapt to being shot in the back/head? My loomed plate helm doesnt stop me from being oneshot.  And i hate shields because of autoblock, it dumbs the game down. They only block from the front anway.....

lol, the only reason somebody would HATE something would be due to getting scrubbed by it. Somebody else's build shouldn't get fucked because you can't deal with one aspect of medieval warfare. Archery is supposed to suck for people dumb enough not to get a shield and charge head on into a flight of arrows. I really don't think that somebody should be so frustrated by a pixelated enemy anyways. If the game pisses you off that bad then you should probably not play it.
Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2013, 12:50:50 pm »
You should probably read the thread again and not take my post out of context...
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.