Author Topic: By nerfing archery you are breaking the game (+ solution for kiting)  (Read 5307 times)

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
Re: By nerfing archery you are breaking the game (+ solution for kiting)
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2013, 02:40:33 pm »
+6
Tindel just deserves to be ignored.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2013, 02:54:54 pm »
+4
Don't want to shamelessly self promote but I think this is a worse solution to kiting than the one I suggested ages ago. Same effect but less gimmicky and weird.

http://forum.meleegaming.com/suggestions-corner/how-to-make-archery-more-fun-for-everyone/msg588659/#msg588659

Offline BarBeQ

• Count
  • Renown: 172
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2013, 03:04:04 pm »
+1
Don't want to shamelessly self promote but I think this is a worse solution to kiting than the one I suggested ages ago. Same effect but less gimmicky and weird.

http://forum.meleegaming.com/suggestions-corner/how-to-make-archery-more-fun-for-everyone/msg588659/#msg588659

Exactly that´s how it should be:

-slow when holding the bow
-fast when holding meele weapon (not just to engage meele also for relocating and falling back)

Offline Brrrak

• Earl
  • Renown: 442
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Brrrak
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2013, 03:22:04 pm »
+4
Shields remove 50% of the fun of melee combat, this is why alot of people dont want to use them.

Autoblock = zzZZZzzzzz

You're the reason the community places a funnel over 2h players' heads and collectively takes turns shitting down that funnel.
Just saying.

Also.  Most battles in the medieval period had a skirmish phase, which occurred before the big movers and shakers of armies (i.e., heavy infantry and cavalry) met each other afield.  The reason plate armor was developed and invested in was so the core of the army could advance during the skirmish phase, as in the battle at Agincourt (which showed how bad mud and rain were for heavy infantry).

Offline Tindel

• Earl
  • Renown: 333
  • Infamy: 238
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Tindel
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2013, 03:24:07 pm »
lol, the only reason somebody would HATE something would be due to getting scrubbed by it. Somebody else's build shouldn't get fucked because you can't deal with one aspect of medieval warfare. Archery is supposed to suck for people dumb enough not to get a shield and charge head on into a flight of arrows. I really don't think that somebody should be so frustrated by a pixelated enemy anyways. If the game pisses you off that bad then you should probably not play it.

" Somebody else's build shouldn't get fucked because you can't deal with one aspect of medieval warfare."    Yet you tell me to get a shield? Id rather see ranged get fucked than me thankyouverymuch.

Offline Tindel

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2013, 03:25:05 pm »
+1
Tindel just deserves to be ignored.

Thats really hurtfull

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2013, 03:28:01 pm »
I'm sure a majority of archers players would dislike this accuracy decrease cooldown even more than the arrows weight.

Archers NEEDS to move all the time : decreasing their distance to targets when things are cool (to have a better chance to hit), increasing their distance from the targets when things gets hot (to avoid being killed); they BARELY never stop moving, otherwise they get focused by other ranged or cavalry/melee players try to get to them.

Also one major fun point of being archers is the capacity to have an attack that have a quasi infinite range, so you can attack (shoot) all the time. As long as you have arrows, targets, and confidence in your aiming. If you had to WAIT (not attack) everytime you want to shoot one arrow, just because you needed to run to/away from a situation, it would be an even greater hit to the gameplay of ranged.

You would have to be a kind of "static" tower of shooting to aim precisely, or stick to being mobile but not able to shoot as soon as you're ready. Would need to anticipate and choose really good position of firing. Not necessarily a bad thing, but the cRPG battlefield moves VERY VERY fast, archers need a way to stay handy and able to run.

Offline Tindel

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2013, 03:44:40 pm »
You're the reason the community places a funnel over 2h players' heads and collectively takes turns shitting down that funnel.
Just saying.

Also.  Most battles in the medieval period had a skirmish phase, which occurred before the big movers and shakers of armies (i.e., heavy infantry and cavalry) met each other afield.  The reason plate armor was developed and invested in was so the core of the army could advance during the skirmish phase, as in the battle at Agincourt (which showed how bad mud and rain were for heavy infantry).

But i use a 1hander?

Offline Mr.K.

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2013, 03:57:21 pm »
+5
Do you see them support their friendly archers so they dont get cav raped ? Rarely.

I try to defend friendly ranged whenever I can with my 2H and polearm alts. However most archers move way too much to be defended effectively. 2H lolstab is long, but it can't cover a archer standing even 3m away. You have to be standing right next to him and if the archer or archers move just a few meters away from you while you are not watching, enemy cav will seize the occasion and oneshoot the archer. I wish archers would consider this when they notice they have cover and try to stay still as much as possible even if it makes them an easier target for enemy ranged.

That said, it's really really rare to see anyone covering anyone on EU1 which is what makes cav so damn easy. If you have a long ass weapon, and your team is steamrolling the enemy. Just stand back and watch out for cav (or ninjas). Sure you won't get points nor kills, but imo it's still fun. Cavalry doesn't expect anyone to do that ;)

Offline F i n

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1148
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Hi
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fin
  • IRC nick: Fin
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2013, 04:00:31 pm »
+1
yeah... the mobility of all ranged classes got nerfed - think of throwing...

OF COURSE ranged classes (SHOULD) have a great advantage (cus they are ranged) - attacking over a great distance. But still shieldless "PRO" players are charging them alone - dying, crying - OF COURSE.

That -OF COURSE- is a legit reason for nerfing the classes that bring most diversity into the gameplay - making it more interesting and challenging. Cus its not about phun - its about the longest sword (no pun intended).

If you turn it around and imagine an Archer charging a 2h with a wooden club - and he dies - would 2h get nerfed? OF COURSE - not. HOW DARE YOU :E.

Its crpg. Get over it. Its not about having many different classes - each with its special skills - and completely useless if you cant handle it (even if thats what its supposed to be imo)...

Its all about:

"2h rock, fuck the rest"

and a bit QQ.

You should not try to find alternative - less painful ways to nerf archers or ranged in general... You should complain about it getting nerfed in the first place - even though no one will listen to you.

btw. i retired from throwing to 2 handed... and i quite like that im almost immortal - except im fighting other 2h players - or xynox ;).

If this game was taking place in real life, archers would make the rules - that means, this game would be totally crap if it was "realistic"... So you need to find the right balance in balancing balance and realism.

AND i personally think kiting is just fine as its part of the game... might be annoying - but not if you just use obstacles and chill.... What really pisses me off tho, is that a 2h can win a round when he is the last one standing - fighting an archer, a shielder and a cav at once - and his team says "GOOD JOB MAN" ... cus its not. Its easy. And that doesnt mean you should nerf 2h... that means you should stop nerfing all the time. The game was quite balanced - even a year ago. As balance comes from players themself (if they are using their brains) - not from mechanics.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 11:31:55 am by Finuad »
"Life was easier as a borderline alcoholic." (chadz, 2016)

Offline F i n

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1148
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Hi
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fin
  • IRC nick: Fin
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2013, 04:31:58 pm »
Do you see them support their friendly archers so they dont get cav raped ? Rarely.

DEFEND THE CATAPULT
"Life was easier as a borderline alcoholic." (chadz, 2016)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2013, 04:49:31 pm »
I really can't blame anyone not defending his ranged teammates. Not because people are supposed to hate them (I don't hate anyone in my own team, except maybe excessive teamhitters), but because standing behind is extremely boring, compared to combat. This is a game after all. Even if it is not going to make them win (despite "efforts" like multi to force people to play to win), people will mostly play the way that is more fun for them.

Following this, I personally avoid charging ranged unless I'm forced to (with shield or without), because getting shot to death is horribly unpleasant. And this is also why in many battles I've seen cav literally unable to do anything but half-assed flanking in infantry ranks because nobody was distracting ranged. Having played cav myself for a long time, when that happened I gradually started doing more and more objectively moronic actions simply because I found no actual opportunities.

Offline Thedric

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2013, 10:56:59 pm »
Archers are supposed to kill enemies by firing arrows at them, not engaging them in melee. Basically what you're suggesting is a class that can match the inf in close quarter fighting while at the same time being able to snipe from the distance.

You're always bitching about how crpg is about teamwork, well why cant archers be a support class, firing at other archers and supporting the inf? Why do they have to be able to go rambo-mode and kill inf and cav one on one?

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2013, 11:08:07 pm »
I'm sure a majority of archers players would dislike this accuracy decrease cooldown even more than the arrows weight.

Archers NEEDS to move all the time : decreasing their distance to targets when things are cool (to have a better chance to hit), increasing their distance from the targets when things gets hot (to avoid being killed); they BARELY never stop moving, otherwise they get focused by other ranged or cavalry/melee players try to get to them.

Also one major fun point of being archers is the capacity to have an attack that have a quasi infinite range, so you can attack (shoot) all the time. As long as you have arrows, targets, and confidence in your aiming. If you had to WAIT (not attack) everytime you want to shoot one arrow, just because you needed to run to/away from a situation, it would be an even greater hit to the gameplay of ranged.

You would have to be a kind of "static" tower of shooting to aim precisely, or stick to being mobile but not able to shoot as soon as you're ready. Would need to anticipate and choose really good position of firing. Not necessarily a bad thing, but the cRPG battlefield moves VERY VERY fast, archers need a way to stay handy and able to run.

I think implementing "my" (I'm not the first one proposing this) suggestion could maybe give an opportuniy to remove the weight nerf, which even though it most of the time works for balance, is not a really satisfying solution for anybody IMO. Also, moving at a slower pace (we have a key for walking right ?) could greatly reduce the effect, just like in ArmA. In a similar way, running not long enough to reach "sprint" speed could yield a decreased malus too.

Thing is, I doubt such a suggestion is easy to mod in, unlike simple stat changes.

Edit : epic case of not reading the OP
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 10:08:06 pm by Kafein »

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2013, 11:10:04 pm »
+6
herm ... Why can't archers hold the bow drawn more than 0.5 sec ? +1 for realism ... Longbow is hard to draw , but that's not a ballista ffs !! BUFF !!