Author Topic: Can't force vsync in WSE2?  (Read 5096 times)

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
Can't force vsync in WSE2?
« on: December 28, 2012, 08:14:47 pm »
I find WSE2 unplayable because I can't find a way to force vsync and triple buffering. Even D3DOverrider can't force it. Without vsync+triple buffering, the tearing while panning is awful.

Radeon 6950 2GB
Core i5 3Ghz

And yes, I've tried setting the max fps to 60, 120, whatever, still get tearing. I don't know how people play without vsync+triple buffering?

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
Re: Can't force vsync in WSE2?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 08:42:57 pm »
Warlord, you play on a CRT? If you play on an LCD at 60Hz, your choices are turn vsync off and experience tearing, or turn vsync+triple buffering on for smooth gameplay. Vsync with no triple buffering means tearing. Other than a CRT, there really isn't another option that doesn't result in tearing.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 08:49:18 pm by Phew »

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 08:55:28 pm »
I play on an LCD at 60Hz, have vsync off and no tearing at all ;)

Maybe your eyes just can't register tearing? It gives me a headache. If you are on a 60Hz with vsync off, you have tearing, period.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 09:12:27 pm »
This is a pretty succinct explanation:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2794/2

The only scenario that doesn't result in tearing on a 60Hz LCD is Vsync+Triple Buffering. Every other scenario results in tearing. Usually, I used D3Doverrider to force vsync+triple buffering on, but it doesn't seem to work with WSE2.

I'm not calling you a liar Warlord, some people just can't see tearing. Others, like me, get a headache from it. It's like a line about 10-15% down from the top of the screen where there is a disjoint between frames, but only when panning.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 09:27:47 pm »
I didn't want to start an argument. No one knows how to enable VSYNC with WSE2?

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 10:58:36 pm »
The only scenario that doesn't result in tearing on a 60Hz LCD is Vsync+Triple Buffering. Every other scenario results in tearing.

This is not true at all, if it were then VSync without TB would serve no purpose.
Maybe if you read the article you just linked...
While enabling vsync does fix tearing

In short VSync solves tearing and Triple Buffering solves the performance drop by trading it off with increased memory usage.

Also, Warlord is right. Tearing is highly dependent on your hardware and software, so just because you get it doesn't mean everyone does.

As for VSync in WSE2 there's an option in the configuration file (bForceVSync under Graphics), but people have reported that it doesn't work (which is curious given that it's the exact same way Warband does it). I'll investigate it further when I have time.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 12:56:43 am »
In short VSync solves tearing and Triple Buffering solves the performance drop by trading it off with increased memory usage.

Sorry, I always enable them together so I forgot VSYNC alone does indeed stop tearing. Triple buffering is a must with intensive games, but modern hardware can peg warband at 60 fps, so triple buffering is more of a luxury.

In certain games, people claim to mostly mitigate tearing by setting the max framerate to 59, although in crpg it just makes the tearing progressively slide down the screen, which is even worse. From everything I've read, tearing will always be present if VSYNC is off on an LCD, it's just not everyone is sensitive to it.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 01:06:21 am by Phew »

Offline Dooz

• Duke
  • Renown: 674
  • Infamy: 165
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 01:49:03 am »
What you say is true about 59fps, and there is good ol' fashioned tearing with 60fps, but I could swear there's some sort of improvement when set to 61fps. There's still a type of tear, but seems less frequent and maybe even less jarring. You are a sensitive, will you tell me your experience?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 02:18:51 am »
What you say is true about 59fps, and there is good ol' fashioned tearing with 60fps, but I could swear there's some sort of improvement when set to 61fps. There's still a type of tear, but seems less frequent and maybe even less jarring. You are a sensitive, will you tell me your experience?

For me, 61 fps is just as bad as 59 fps, just walking forwards causes progressive tears to scroll up the screen.

Offline Dooz

• Duke
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 02:34:37 am »
Mm, okay. So you were able to have no tearing at all with vsync forced on but triple buffering off? I haven't had zero tearing with any configuration.

Offline BlameMeForTheNoise

• Count
  • Renown: 189
  • Infamy: 21
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Varangian Guards
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Sonjarr
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 11:18:55 am »
I have the same specs as the original poster powerwise and equally had problems with tearing even with vsync enabled and every scenario I could think of checked...
After tinkering for a few months(!) I finally found out where it came from:

I have an additional TV hooked per hdmi to my PC apart from my gaming monitor which is connected via DVI. And the TV runs with only 59 Hz while my gaming monitor runs with 60.
Out of reasons unfathomable to me since DVI is mostly the HDMI signal without the sound my ATI-graphics card priotised the TV. So my monitor ran 60Hz while its signal only got 59 Hz. This means the 1 Hz difference ensured that I had horrible screentearing which no Vsync could fix. I could not change this. The Catalyst Control Center had no power over this and even custom drivers couldnt help me change the frequency of the signal. My graphics card did not let me priotise the monitor. Even when the monitor was the primary Display it still only got the 59 Hz Signal meant for the TV. Its a bug with ATI-Drivers. After googling a little bit I found out I'm not the only one with the problem and this is actually known for years...

I resorted to plugging out the HDMI of my TV. When it is not plugged in my Display runs with the frequency it should. Finally I built myself a little switch which basically simulates a physical disconnect of the HDMI to the graphics card...

tl;dr: If you got a TV connected to the PC, too: try disconnecting it. And ensure that your monitor runs on the same frequeny as your output signal runs.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 01:18:34 pm »
I experience screen tearing all the time ever since I installed a LCD monitor. Warband is the only game doing this though. Weirdly enough, it doesn't bother me at all, as the fucked up line is really low on the screen and doesn't move.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 03:04:16 pm »
Mm, okay. So you were able to have no tearing at all with vsync forced on but triple buffering off? I haven't had zero tearing with any configuration.

I can't force VSYNC on using any utility (D3D Overrider, CCC, ATI Tray Tools, etc), although I'll keep trying. I set VSYNC to be always on in those applications, but it's always off within crpg when using WSE2. And of course, when VSYNC is off, I get brutal tearing no matter how I set the max frame rate.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 03:35:41 pm by Phew »

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 02:16:22 am »
All fixed with latest version, thanks cmp!

Offline Dooz

• Duke
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 02:06:23 am »
Well, poo. Still the same for me. And the commands with extracurricular letters appearing when you restart the game still exist for me. Problem on my end?