Author Topic: Varyag's testimony on the current state of cRPG  (Read 25849 times)

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
Re: Varyag's testimony on the current state of cRPG
« Reply #180 on: April 27, 2011, 07:08:20 pm »
Thats just a nostalgic view trough pink glasses. The fact is that this system is much more user friendly.
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #181 on: April 27, 2011, 07:10:08 pm »
Heh. People acting as if Retirement is some god-given right, earned through blood sweat and tears, that makes you a better player. Those of us with high generations played a lot and retired a lot. That's the end of it. We didn't do something incredible to achieve our gens. This gen elitism is bullshit, from the mouth of a high gen player. I would support a change to the retirement system that didn't clearly favor people with higher gens. At the very least 0% change exp gain per retirement would make sense, IMO. People shouldn't be able to retire faster once they retire.

A clear voice of reason. +1 for you, good sir.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 07:11:35 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 27, 2011, 07:21:25 pm »
Thats just a nostalgic view trough pink glasses. The fact is that this system is much more user friendly.

Ho... you want user-friendliness ?

I have other games that might suit you better, like : "push this button as many times as you can", you know...

If you can get everything now now now, it's failed. If you want everything now now now, you failed, or you are still a kid. There is no game where there is no frustration, the bad creates the good... It's just human.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #183 on: April 27, 2011, 07:23:54 pm »

I have other games that might suit you better, like : "push this button as many times as you can", you know...

If you can get everything now now now, it's failed. If you want everything now now now, you failed, or you are still a kid. There is no game where there is no frustration, the bad creates the good... It's just human.

There is a difference between user friendly and instant gratification. Stop using absurd twists for arguements ffs.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #184 on: April 27, 2011, 08:08:01 pm »
You made a story out of my two sentences, perhaps i was a bit vauge.

Yes

I didnt mean easy gameplay i meant an easier start, less peasent time and more time when you fell like you can make a difference etc.

I have what i  need after a fair ammount of gameplay ( mw danish and  lordly gloves) and i probably wont retire next get, ill try to hit 32. And when i do that ill just try to improve my skills in duel servers, play tournaments, play with my buddies and have fun. Maybe roll a few alts, play strat if it ever comes out.

There is plenty of stuff to do in this game besides grind. I dont know why people think the game is over when you hit high gens and get your mw items.

About the frustration part, tbh this game is one of the most if not the most frustrating game i have ever played. (especialy at the beggining) And i was realy frustrated at my start because i started a week or so before the big patch and i couldnt do anything but die. Thats what i meant by more user friendly - you get the feeling that you matter faster

Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 27, 2011, 08:26:42 pm »
People that say they "worked" for their high level/gen pre-patch (implying cRPG is all work, no fun) should get slapped across the face real hard.

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #186 on: April 27, 2011, 08:31:11 pm »
People that say they "worked" for their high level/gen pre-patch (implying cRPG is all work, no fun) should get slapped across the face real hard.

At times it seems like work, especially at lower levels...
Just a soldier

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 27, 2011, 08:38:18 pm »
Then perhaps it is time to take a break. I know i've taken one.

Offline Momo

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 170
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: _Momo_
  • IRC nick: Momo
« Reply #188 on: April 27, 2011, 08:38:47 pm »

Yeah it's not fun when you steal all of your equips.  I WORKED for them not U! So if I want to crush heads with my 3x heirloomed mace I'll just crush heads cos I deserve it!  :mrgreen:
I was the first one who started -1-ing everyone, now everyone does it to everyone.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 27, 2011, 08:40:14 pm »

I havent retired in weeks, i just did a day or 2 ago, the low level grinding is the absolute worst since you cant rly do anything, there needs to be a super speedy level up to lvl 20 or something- also im gen 4 now

I know a lot of people turn away from crpg due to the initial grind
Just a soldier

Offline RagnarLodbroke

• Knight
  • Renown: 41
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RagnarLodbroke, Mr_Heineken,SeriousPanda
  • IRC nick: RagnarLodbroke
« Reply #190 on: April 27, 2011, 10:21:24 pm »

PTX!!!!!
(click to show/hide)

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #191 on: April 27, 2011, 10:56:56 pm »
Does playing at work count as "working hard" ?
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #192 on: April 27, 2011, 11:27:08 pm »
...Or hardly working?

:lol:
Monkeys!

Offline Strider

• Baron
  • Renown: 110
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 27, 2011, 11:28:23 pm »
I agree fully with Veryag. I too played crpg since it first came out. I remember the dedication, intenseness, and core skill of the players and their characters. But now there is nothing to keep us wanting to play. We can do anything with our characters much too easily. Change from from a fully heirloomed archer to a fully heirloomed xbowmen in 2 months. There is no dedication to build your character up to your desired skills. You cannot possibly become a 24 str, 24 agi 2Her or do any other epic dream build because the cap is at lvl 35. (almost impossible to get to anyways). At crpg's first times I saw the most skilled people with sweet gear and skills and I desired to be like them. Now there is no desire to play crpg.

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 27, 2011, 11:35:39 pm »
I agree fully with Veryag. I too played crpg since it first came out. I remember the dedication, intenseness, and core skill of the players and their characters. But now there is nothing to keep us wanting to play. We can do anything with our characters much too easily. Change from from a fully heirloomed archer to a fully heirloomed xbowmen in 2 months. There is no dedication to build your character up to your desired skills. You cannot possibly become a 24 str, 24 agi 2Her or do any other epic dream build because the cap is at lvl 35. (almost impossible to get to anyways). At crpg's first times I saw the most skilled people with sweet gear and skills and I desired to be like them. Now there is no desire to play crpg.

By jov your right, I do remember a time when I was like that..

Just a soldier