Author Topic: Varyag's testimony on the current state of cRPG  (Read 25808 times)

Offline v/onMega

• Count
  • Renown: 234
  • Infamy: 67
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_vMega
Re: Varyag's testimony on the current state of cRPG
« Reply #150 on: April 26, 2011, 06:41:46 pm »
I remember duelling you prepatch.

The amount of sexiness, heartattacking speed and low reaction time was is and will be undescribable.

Good too see u play again.

+ 1 for faster gameplay!

2handers killing @ the speed of light simply was possible due to enormous, idiotic grind.

I call that a reward...believe me, I always smiled while doing it.

About the current state:

Crpg hasnt lost anything of its awesomeness.

The aim is different, cant say better or worse, more of a question of your own likes or dislikes.

There still is plenty of reasons to grind.
Actually there is more than prepatch, since i never felt like looming armor or the princess hammer, but I definetly do now.

Like mentioned, only thing i really really miss is faster gamespeed... :-(
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 06:52:13 pm by v/onMega »

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #151 on: April 26, 2011, 07:17:27 pm »
I remember duelling you prepatch.

The amount of sexiness, heartattacking speed and low reaction time was is and will be undescribable.

Good too see u play again.

+ 1 for faster gameplay!

2handers killing @ the speed of light simply was possible due to enormous, idiotic grind.

I call that a reward...believe me, I always smiled while doing it.

About the current state:

Crpg hasnt lost anything of its awesomeness.

The aim is different, cant say better or worse, more of a question of your own likes or dislikes.

There still is plenty of reasons to grind.
Actually there is more than prepatch, since i never felt like looming armor or the princess hammer, but I definetly do now.

Like mentioned, only thing i really really miss is faster gamespeed... :-(

i totally agree. but slow people compare that old lightspeed to a spamfest (and is false.. mindless spamming even with the prepatch fight speed was a suicide playstyle easy to counter with minimum brain-to-hand coordination).

the thing that makes me laugh is that some players now say that 2h are still too fast. and the truth is that all the gameplay is much slower and should be easier for warband newbies. damage is generally also a lot lower than before (lower level-cap, lower powerstrike, lower profiency) apart from 9-10 PT throwers. this gives who wear heavy armor more survivability than before. so to spawn with heavyarmor with x3 multiple or higher is a must for a tank.

we should state that this is a grinding system (and the journey to have +3 body +3 gloves +3 weapon +3 sec weapon actually is a grind). Having a bonus of +12 body armor, swords with +5 dmg +4 speed, barmaces that blockcrush shields like butter or 54dmg flamberges gives you that "little" edge in a clan tournament.

Offline Remy

• Knight
  • Renown: 68
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remy_the_Fox
  • IRC nick: Remy
« Reply #152 on: April 26, 2011, 07:24:37 pm »
The more things change, the more they stay the same.  :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Fox, Horse Archer, Tker of Chagan.

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #153 on: April 26, 2011, 07:57:29 pm »
I think it is about time to write in here again.

I bought this game shortly before the new big patch, and i downloaded CRPG the same day because it simply seemed like a much better game, because it allwoed people to customize their characters and feel some kind of progress when they played (The Grind-factor)

I remember the hours of being a peasant, and to be honest, it wasnt much fun. I ran around in my light ninja armor with a low dmg katana trying to hurt those OP tincans, and it simply didnt work. I think i might have gotten bored and quit the game if it hadnt been for this new patch.

The patch allowed peasant to be able to get a few kills, but it still rewards grind with heirlooms, and that keeps giving me this feeling of progress on my main character (Grind-factor!), which i think is a must for any game.
I havr grinded 10 generations since the patch, changing build after most rtirements to get some change while playing, and it has worked out just fine. Diversity+progress+the requirement of personal skill are the trhee most important things in  game, because this prevents people from getting bored and quitting, and imo, CRPG now has it all.
You can get diversity by changing builds and items, and if you have tried it all, you can join a clan and focus on teamwork or you can try to do like phaz and get random grinders to work together.
You get progress by improving your character all the time, you level often (not like the old crpg where it happened once every year), and when you reach lvl 30 you get the pleasure of a new heirloomed item and an exp bonus, and then you get to lvl once more (i would like prestige items for high-gens though) :p
The requirement of personal skill is also a big part of CRPG, especially the new one. Pre-patch, it was easier to just buy heavy armor and big-ass weap, grind your way to lvl 50 and slay without any actual skill. That is not possible anymore, you have to really concentrate and try to make your team win in order to gain your multiplier and sue good items, and it is (almost) impossible to do well without being good.

This is pretty much what i think about CRPG

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #154 on: April 26, 2011, 07:58:47 pm »
Indeed there is still the damned grind, it needs to be disposed of
Just a soldier

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #155 on: April 26, 2011, 08:11:26 pm »
Indeed there is still the damned grind, it needs to be disposed of

the game could be better without the whole heirloom part... i say this even if i am gen 11.

because there is no better weapon among the top tiers.. every weapon have pros and cons...
but any stock weapon sucks versus a three times modified one.

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #156 on: April 26, 2011, 08:16:32 pm »
the game could be better without the whole heirloom part... i say this even if i am gen 11.

because there is no better weapon among the top tiers.. every weapon have pros and cons...
but any stock weapon sucks versus a three times modified one.

Well Im gen 4 and Im getting shafted with this leveling speed :(
Just a soldier

Offline Nasturtium

• Count
  • Renown: 203
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 26, 2011, 08:39:29 pm »
  I agree about the grind and heirlooms. This is my suggestion to help solve both: http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,4241.0.html

Offline Diavolo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Engineering student - Will pwn your ass in physics
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templars
  • Game nicks: Templar_Diavolo, Aleta
« Reply #158 on: April 26, 2011, 09:04:32 pm »
  I agree about the grind and heirlooms. This is my suggestion to help solve both: http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,4241.0.html

I agree to this guys proposal ^^

I sort of liked the monthly-ish wipes that brought with itself peasant wars ans such though. However, the old system was extremely harsh on new players. I think the reason why Varyag thinks it was balanced and great was because he was one of those who played a lot and always was in the top levels and equipment department. Being low level was insanely hard (unless you power leveled a lot when everyone was peasants) In the beginning getting exp at all was tied to getting kills so to get up from peasant level when a lot of others were high level required you to be extremely ruthless on the killstealing and dont worry much about teamkilling (which often resulted in a massive negative exp and gold since you probably accidentaly hit some high level teammate).

This ^^might sound like cRPG sucked hard for low level people, but all the extreme struggle to rise from peasant to something not that crappy was what made the mod that exciting. Now, the mod is more similar to normal Warband multiplayer as its more focused on people being skilled at blocking and aiming and such, while in the beginning cRPG was a whole other game about tossing rocks like a baboon and following a high level with the hopes of being able to steal a kill now and then.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 27, 2011, 12:02:01 am »

The more dogs there are on the courtyard, the more cats ride on top of them.

Next proverb tomorrow in our series of "Proverbs that make no sense."
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Polobow

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoA
« Reply #160 on: April 27, 2011, 12:29:24 am »

What is this i don't even

Offline Nogar

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nogar, Aethril, Devorath
« Reply #161 on: April 27, 2011, 12:45:15 am »
mennnn i dont care anymore about crpg i am in love so fuck yall!!!!!!!!! yeaaa
good luck losers!  :lol:

Offline RagnarLodbroke

• Knight
  • Renown: 41
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RagnarLodbroke, Mr_Heineken,SeriousPanda
  • IRC nick: RagnarLodbroke
« Reply #162 on: April 27, 2011, 01:44:23 am »
Varyag i really agree with u...i even miss Xp barn and the old Xp/Gold system, nowadays u only need to play like 1 hour with x5 and u can buy a really good armor, U dont even need to fight. Its a new thing called leeching that is really effective nowadays, i havent tried it out myself, but i see alot of other ppls doing it!

And yes cRPG have lost its magic, and as u said its prolly gonna lose u, and the same with me. I just dont find it fun lvling to lvl 31 and then retire and start all over again...i did this 3 times with my archer prepatch and i could have done it like 10 times i think but i didnt, cuz i really liked to improve my skills when i reached 1 more lvl!

another thing is the upkeep, maybe some of u find it OK, but i think its crap, where are all the old tincans!? the upkeep is too high so tincans dont excist anymore...

Where did everyone go after the "new" patch? most of them did GTX, but there are still some ppl playing.

What happend to all the good archers? They suddenly disapeard because they was nerfed like 10000 times!

And now my history:

I started playing cRPG after a few weeks it was released, the time when Oberyn, Ptah, SunNjord used to top the leaderboards, i really looked up to these guys and thats the reason i started playing as a archer ( I know Oberyn wasnt a archer, he was CAV ), in the beginning i was going as a 2H and a 1H, i didnt know how to block and i was really bad at everything actually. Then i tried out archery and i liked it, i actually  loved it...then a new patch released and they had to reset out characters. That was the start for RagnarLodbroke the longbowman, i did put most of my points in archery and began to get a little good and once in a while i used to top the leaderboards, especially on the Nord village map. Then another reset happend, i think i was lvl 28 when that happend. Again i started to build a archer, this build was alot better than my last build, i topped the leaderboards pretty often, and i usally fought on my own (Nobody knew how to block, so the only thing i had to do was SPAM(HARD)) Then i think another reset came and this was the last one (chadz said) i joined the guards  a small clan in the beginning but we grew fast and in the end we had alot of members.( i think there were 3 clans back then, the mercs, the guards and the templars)

Me and tenny joined the guards the same day, and i think i was the fifth or the sixth member in the clan!

And now im getting really tired and i dont wanna tell anymore about my story. anyway, i had a really nice time playing this mod, and ill have to say thank u chadz (anyway u should actually thank me for the money i donated :P )

I know my english aint that good but im pretty sure most of u understand.

RagnarLodbroke

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • Renown: 263
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rusty mercenary siege engineer
  • Game nicks: Something with Tomas in it
« Reply #163 on: April 27, 2011, 02:56:55 am »
mennnn i dont care anymore about crpg i am in love so fuck yall!!!!!!!!! yeaaa
good luck losers!  :lol:
My gf loves Mount and Blade now. I realised it was a bad idea to introduce her to it after spending a night alone in my bed falling asleep watching her play campaign...
Professional poop cleaner

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • Renown: 263
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rusty mercenary siege engineer
  • Game nicks: Something with Tomas in it
« Reply #164 on: April 27, 2011, 03:01:43 am »
Oh yeah and that reminds me of the days when my build was a Jack-of-all-Trades, master of fuck all. I could run around and pick up nearly any weapon and use it very badly. And I started Strategus and was like "ZOMG you can make your own faction!" And renamed my "faction" The Annoying Bandits. I started a fight with some random bloke, and didn't turn-up to the battle cos of my gf. Then I participated in two other Strategus battles, one was like 300 except Spartans failed (I got my share of persian style deaths) and the other was a spawn massacre which naked people were piled up high and some even tried to escape the circle of death, but were hunted by cav, and I couldn't stop lolling over teamspeak. The american dudes thought I was on something. Spawn massacres are the funniest thing ever. Quite a few tks...
Professional poop cleaner