Author Topic: Varyag's testimony on the current state of cRPG  (Read 25937 times)

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
Re: Varyag's testimony on the current state of cRPG
« Reply #165 on: April 27, 2011, 07:18:38 am »
that's false since is by far easier to retire now than before the patch. i spent 350k gold prepatch to retire to gen10 and the retirement was forced once a week. now people just retire every 2 days without spending money. now we have gen25+ people that was gen1 prepatch.

since the wpf stacking is canceled and who had 10 heirloom modifiers prepatch now have 1/3 of the total (i was gen10, 9 heirloom modified items and patch cut it to 3 heirloom mods) isn't fault of those "nerd abuz0rs of the broken retirement/wpf system who are gen 394509" as the highest was keshian with his gen15 archer.

time passes but nothing has changed... you keep spreading false informations like six months ago.

Gold is nothing.  Also, the whole "people just retire every 2 days without spending money" is complete bullshit.  Only if they were/are double digit gens already.  I refused to abuse the broken retirement wpf stacking bullshit from pre-patch, so my 4 main character's were all gen 1 when the patch hit.  ONE of my character just last night finally managed to retire a 3rd time and get his first masterwork weapon since the patch.  I haven't played any of my other characters because due to the grind I just don't have the time.  So unlike prepatch, where I could spend some gold that I DON'T FUCKING NEED BECAUSE I ALREADY OWN EVERYTHING I WANT and guarantee myself a retirement each week, now I fall further and further behind from the gen 10-25+ players out there who CAN retire every day or two.

Is that plain enough english for you, or do we need to break it down into monosyllabic grunting?  BTW:  The issue isn't the number of heirlooms that you pre-patch retirement abusers got after the patch (I know they were cut down to 1/3rd), it's that you started off at gen 10 by your own admission, meaning you were already getting 10 gen xp modifiers, allowing you to retire exponentially faster than the people that didn't abuse the broken system.  Re-roll a gen 1 and let me know how quickly you get to a generation level that allows you to retire every 2 days.  I've done the math, which is pretty basic, using a completely unrealistic 24 hour playtime scale and it's silly.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #166 on: April 27, 2011, 12:56:16 pm »
Gold is nothing.  Also, the whole "people just retire every 2 days without spending money" is complete bullshit.  Only if they were/are double digit gens already.  I refused to abuse the broken retirement wpf stacking bullshit from pre-patch, so my 4 main character's were all gen 1 when the patch hit.  ONE of my character just last night finally managed to retire a 3rd time and get his first masterwork weapon since the patch.  I haven't played any of my other characters because due to the grind I just don't have the time.  So unlike prepatch, where I could spend some gold that I DON'T FUCKING NEED BECAUSE I ALREADY OWN EVERYTHING I WANT and guarantee myself a retirement each week, now I fall further and further behind from the gen 10-25+ players out there who CAN retire every day or two.

Is that plain enough english for you, or do we need to break it down into monosyllabic grunting?  BTW:  The issue isn't the number of heirlooms that you pre-patch retirement abusers got after the patch (I know they were cut down to 1/3rd), it's that you started off at gen 10 by your own admission, meaning you were already getting 10 gen xp modifiers, allowing you to retire exponentially faster than the people that didn't abuse the broken system.  Re-roll a gen 1 and let me know how quickly you get to a generation level that allows you to retire every 2 days.  I've done the math, which is pretty basic, using a completely unrealistic 24 hour playtime scale and it's silly.

not our fault if you're too lazy to retire... if you think is too late, well... shit happens  :wink:

now i know that this developing system makes you rage/cry-rivers... that's why i love it.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 12:58:46 pm by Corrado_Decimo »

Offline Varyag

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 72
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
  • Game nicks: Merc_Varyag_
« Reply #167 on: April 27, 2011, 01:54:35 pm »
This ^^might sound like cRPG sucked hard for low level people, but all the extreme struggle to rise from peasant to something not that crappy was what made the mod that exciting. Now, the mod is more similar to normal Warband multiplayer as its more focused on people being skilled at blocking and aiming and such, while in the beginning cRPG was a whole other game about tossing rocks like a baboon and following a high level with the hopes of being able to steal a kill now and then.

Exactly what I experienced myself. And tbh this was the biggest fun of my cRPG "career". The real challenge is gone :(
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Momo

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 170
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: _Momo_
  • IRC nick: Momo
« Reply #168 on: April 27, 2011, 02:08:33 pm »

I hate people who cries about the retirement. You had the chance to retire (EVERYONE HAD), a lots of people saw the advantage in it so they did it. Don't cry because you were too lazy or you didn't have time (that's not your fault) but the others HAD time. People who retire every 2 days, in my opinion they deserve it because they WORKED for those gens.
I was the first one who started -1-ing everyone, now everyone does it to everyone.

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • BOAT OF ANGER FLOATING ON THE SEA OF TEARS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Felipe
« Reply #169 on: April 27, 2011, 02:13:47 pm »
Exactly what I experienced myself. And tbh this was the biggest fun of my cRPG "career". The real challenge is gone :(
I think being peasant is the most funny part about cRPG. Everytime I reach lvl 30 the game starts to get boring for me and I make a new char or even retire at lvl 30, cause it's just no fun anymore. Thats why I never made it to lvl 31 - and I play this mod for a long time. Now you play 2-3 hours after you made your char and you're not a peasant anymore. When you make a strenght built you can even get many kills in the early stages. I loved the peasantry on the servers and it's was fun to chase them with my elegant poleaxe. :D

Offline Sayton

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #170 on: April 27, 2011, 02:48:28 pm »
Reply to OP.

I played cRPG when it first became available to the public, quit when it got wiped, and then started again now. I've got to say it's a lot better now than it was.

The important part of a skill system isn't the grind itself, but the specialization it allows for. The grind and sense of achievement is still necessary, but I think cRPG has found a nice balance.
It still takes weeks to get a generation 3 character if you're not no-lifing it. At some point you have to reach the "endgame", or the vets would always be better than new players, which in turn would decrease the influx of new players. I mean who wants to play a game where they will always be gimped?

I just hope Strategus gets up and running soon, because it sounds like the ultimate endgame content.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #171 on: April 27, 2011, 04:03:15 pm »

I hate people who cries about the retirement. You had the chance to retire (EVERYONE HAD), a lots of people saw it was broken so they abused it. Don't cry because you refused to abuse a broken system.

Fixed.

There should have been a full wipe, instead of the concessions that were made in order to reward the players exploiting what they knew was insanely broken.  Anyways, keep defending the bullshit left over from how fucked up retirement was/is.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Nasturtium

• Count
  • Renown: 203
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 27, 2011, 04:08:34 pm »
Not to beat a dead donkey here, but if players could trade in heirlooms for rare customish gear, there wouldnt be so many damn +3 weapons out there. Not that this is a cure all for retirement, but it could be a bandaid stopgap, and fun.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 04:09:47 pm by Nasturtium »

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #173 on: April 27, 2011, 04:29:20 pm »
Wow those "being a peasent is the best part of crpg yea!" posts are hilarious.

You must be retarded or mazohistic or both if you are saying that.
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline Momo

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 170
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: _Momo_
  • IRC nick: Momo
« Reply #174 on: April 27, 2011, 05:33:35 pm »
Fixed.

There should have been a full wipe, instead of the concessions that were made in order to reward the players exploiting what they knew was insanely broken.  Anyways, keep defending the bullshit left over from how fucked up retirement was/is.

You know what's BULLSHIT? That you want to wipe other peoples work because you can't accept the fact that you couldn't keep up with them. Your problem!
I was the first one who started -1-ing everyone, now everyone does it to everyone.

Offline Radix

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • I blind my enemies with pure awesomenes
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Radox_II
« Reply #175 on: April 27, 2011, 06:26:37 pm »
Wipe will be needed sooner or leyter. Every RPG needs wipe at some point.

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #176 on: April 27, 2011, 06:33:19 pm »
Wipe will be needed sooner or leyter. Every RPG needs wipe at some point.

nooooooooooooooooo! *To be continued*

No wipe! i will not be able to bear seeing my char go back to lvl 1 without any heirlooms! :(

oooooooooooooooooooooooooo *Continued*

nah, tbh, i agree

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 27, 2011, 06:38:29 pm »

You must be retarded or mazohistic or both if you are saying that.

You must take things too seriously or are a very bad player (well, you're not). I enjoyed peasant times because it's the time when you are considered as useless and everything you do is much harder. Then doing anything useful is really satisfying. You know, the best meal is when you are hungry.

As everything else, it's not funny after a while, but still needed to make the game complete.

Actually I would like a new wipe. We had a broken retirement system (for the wpf bonus essentially, not the xp bonus since it was way longer to retire than now and was limited by the money you could get), then an even more broken one (not a single fucking limit except level 31, a limit that grows thinner each time you retire) with v212. The first one saw a few people reaching gen 15. Now in much less time we have gen 30 and more, if we let this go on without changing the system, next month we will likely have some people being gen 50. So many errors where done when the system was devised that I don't think any soft cure can fix things. At least resetting all gen and heirloom stuff data when the system changes.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 06:47:43 pm by Kafein »

Offline Bothersome_Aldryk

• Baron
  • Renown: 124
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 27, 2011, 07:03:30 pm »
Heh. People acting as if Retirement is some god-given right, earned through blood sweat and tears, that makes you a better player. Those of us with high generations played a lot and retired a lot. That's the end of it. We didn't do something incredible to achieve our gens. This gen elitism is bullshit, from the mouth of a high gen player. I would support a change to the retirement system that didn't clearly favor people with higher gens. At the very least 0% change exp gain per retirement would make sense, IMO. People shouldn't be able to retire faster once they retire.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 07:04:43 pm by Bothersome_Aldryk »

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #179 on: April 27, 2011, 07:03:53 pm »

You must be retarded or masochistic or both if you are saying that.
For me, it's a combination of both masochism and nostalgia: i remember spawning in cRPG. It was a big battle, EU1 i think and i was all like: "wow, awesome... look at that cavalry and those archers. Whoa i can hear the arrows whistle around me and the drone of the hooves. Wow, look at that heavy cavalry guy... looks like he's heading toward me... wow, cool! He's lowering his lance!
*tries to jump out of the way*
*gets skewerd*
*proceeds to spectate an epic 50 vs 50 battle*
Cooooool! I like this game. "
Those first weeks i played cRPG was really fun and challenging. I didn't know squat about manual blocking and stuff, but who cares? I had my cheap and fragile shield, i could follow the mob. It was, and still is, great fun! The sense of danger, the exitement of the first kills... the steep learning curve. Good stuff.