Author Topic: New Players need some love  (Read 5499 times)

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
Re: New Players need some love
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2012, 07:47:15 pm »
I don't know if I want to discuss further if you keep that condescending and cynic attitude (towards new players, not me)...  :?
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2012, 07:49:59 pm »
Set up a mentoring program for newbies. Write up a thread in the beginner section and have a list of people willing to take pupils. This game really benefits from having someone help you out directly. Reading guides is nice, but just having that personal tutor really helps. Plus, some people for whatever reason hate games where you actually need to "study" for (ie, read another players guide). This would be a little more casual. Just kind of playing with a stranger to introduce you to a game and hopefully other people to play with.

Of course, to spur greedy bastards, you can have some sort of reward for it. I won't recommend any now because 90% of any recommendation of a reward can be abused by the people in this community that just want to watch the world burn.

Offline Eugen

• Count
  • Renown: 180
  • Infamy: 26
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Postla
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2012, 08:00:58 pm »
I believe a training server could do the trick to make newbies feel welcome. It would be something like the dueling server with the training ground map (horse tourney, melee duelling, archer grounds) maybe this server could have an training area with bots (like in dtV) too. The thing most important... since it is training, it doesnt count to your duel statistic. If you spend time there you get an automatic x1 not less not more...

just an weird idea anyway. Dont know if there would be enough folks on a server like this...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2012, 08:04:09 pm »
In my opinion cRPG should also cater those REALLY casual casuals
I don't know if I want to discuss further if you keep that condescending and cynic attitude (towards new players, not me)...  :?

Don't try to Strawman me. My response to you wasn't about New Players and you know it. We are talking about, in your own words, REALLY casual casuals.

I don't know if I want to continue talking about it with you if you want to try to pull these bullshit debate team tactics. This is a discussion, not a high school event.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Skyline

• Knight
  • Renown: 64
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • My youtube
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Skyline
  • IRC nick: Skyline
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2012, 08:12:55 pm »
I think the biggest problem with having separate servers for noobs is this.... you separate them further in skill by segregating them. They need to play with decent people in order to judge what mistakes they are making, how the mod is different than native ect. If you stick them into a place alone you are just pushing them father away from sticking around once they hit the "main stream".
Common sense is not so common.

"Anyways, there is no TK in this screenshot.  Only one guy killing another"  - Smoothrich

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2012, 08:19:19 pm »
Don't try to Strawman me. My response to you wasn't about New Players and you know it. We are talking about, in your own words, REALLY casual casuals.

I don't know if I want to continue talking about it with you if you want to try to pull these bullshit debate team tactics. This is a discussion, not a high school event.

My post was exclusively about new players. There are new players and there are new players. Some look for a new game they can make their "hobby", others are just looking for a game they can play half an hour a day to relax and make stuff dead. I was talking about latter species, because the first kind of noobs doesn't really need much help.

STF can in no way be the solution, as it completely removes the important aspect of grind for heirlooms, which is an important part of the motivation for many players.

I am aiming towards maximizing the amount of players, and there is no other way to achieve the maximum numbers than by catering those who don't want to work themselves into the game as well. Every solution which requires dedication from the players, especially at the beginning, can't be a solution. That's why we can either disagree to maximize the amount of players as far as possible, or we agree on that and thus discuss measures which make learning the game easier. Because there is nothing in between there, not with the modern way information is handled and the way people act on the internet.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 08:22:31 pm by Joker86 »

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2012, 08:35:38 pm »
STF can in no way be the solution, as it completely removes the important aspect of grind for heirlooms, which is an important part of the motivation for many players.

Quit contradicting yourself. These players are REALLY casual casuals and therefore have NO interest in a grind be it for heirlooms or level or anything else. They just want to jump in and play.

You can't argue that motivation for them and so your point is invalid. Either they care about grinding and are NOT REALLY casual casuals, or they don't and therefore STF(renamed to INSTANT MAX LEVEL) works perfectly for them.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2012, 09:27:31 pm »
+1
Actually I think you can play only half an hour a day just for the lulz and still be happy when you can retire every second month. I don't see me contradicting myself.

But to end the discussion, let's just rephrase my opinion:

I think it is really important (more than it ever was) for cRPG to attract and KEEP as many players as possible. That's why I think we should also cater those players, who are unwilling or even uncapable (doesn't need to be IQ, could also be missing English skills) to work themselves into the game a single bit further than the basics of fighting and buying equipment on the homepage. Being peasant of the first generation CAN be intimidating or demotivating for SOME players. This POSSIBILITY should be targeted nonetheless.

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2012, 12:00:53 am »
Thread starting to float into my "To long to read posts" category.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2012, 12:28:37 am »
Thread starting to float into my "To long to read posts" category.

There are no too long posts, only too lazy users  :P

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2012, 12:30:54 am »
+1
There are no too long posts, only too lazy users  :P

I'm not here to read, I'm here to make short unlogical, out of subject, spam messages.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2012, 12:59:18 am »
I'm not here to read, I'm here to make short unlogical, out of subject, spam messages.

Dang, I was just on my daily forum-see new replies-routine. I didn't notice I was in cRPG forum. My bad. As you were!  :mrgreen:

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2012, 01:43:07 am »
Quit contradicting yourself. These players are REALLY casual casuals and therefore have NO interest in a grind be it for heirlooms or level or anything else. They just want to jump in and play.
You can't argue that motivation for them and so your point is invalid. Either they care about grinding and are NOT REALLY casual casuals, or they don't and therefore STF(renamed to INSTANT MAX LEVEL) works perfectly for them.

Rumblood, the players we are talking about are NOT the hardcore/love steep learning curves/joining forums guys. Basically: THEY ARE NOT LIKE US.  :)

So it makes a lot of sense that US at the forums are opposed to such ideas like easy learning curve etc.. :P  cause we hate that, personally.

Thing is, WE/US that are hardcore players in a sense.. will not suffer from more noobs to kill. Neither will the gameplay.

You cannot give heroin to any young naive fellow, he will simply refuse. You gotta start soft, with some weed, some speed, some E's, coke, mushrooms etc.. Eventually they are ready for heroin, and then their asses are ours. Cause cRPG is a bit like heroin.. Big leap to get into, but once you're hooked it gets you by the balls.

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2012, 02:16:54 am »
+1
What do you want? A download a year's worth of reflexive Warband skill, just follow this link? It should be easier to kill those skilled players? How? By making the game less skilled? Sorry, I wouldn't want to play that game, no matter how many people are playing it. I don't play World of Warcraft or similar games.

Click STF and build your Max Level Character. When you think you've got it figured out, put in a Switch to Main button where they can start at level 1 and start again (not a retire), but keep all the gold and equipment they earned on the STF character.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2012, 02:20:09 am »
+1
Rumblood, the players we are talking about are NOT the hardcore/love steep learning curves/joining forums guys. Basically: THEY ARE NOT LIKE US.  :)

So it makes a lot of sense that US at the forums are opposed to such ideas like easy learning curve etc.. :P  cause we hate that, personally.

Thing is, WE/US that are hardcore players in a sense.. will not suffer from more noobs to kill. Neither will the gameplay.

You cannot give heroin to any young naive fellow, he will simply refuse. You gotta start soft, with some weed, some speed, some E's, coke, mushrooms etc.. Eventually they are ready for heroin, and then their asses are ours. Cause cRPG is a bit like heroin.. Big leap to get into, but once you're hooked it gets you by the balls.
If video games were drugs:

CoD is Weed, cRPG is Heroin.

This is actually pretty accurate :(
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia