Author Topic: 2h stab madness  (Read 5656 times)

Offline Ptolemy

• Weeaboo
  • Count
  • Renown: 257
  • Infamy: 182
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja
  • Game nicks: Nomin
Re: 2h stab madness
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2012, 01:35:44 pm »
If you fail against instastabs - then you don't have enough of reaction. Anyway, instastabs is something that can be done only by high STR users or against no armour. If you whine that your 45 gold 10 armour Black Hood with Mask doesn't defend your face - good day sir, quit roleplaying ninjas.

1. I block *before* the stab because I know it's coming, please read what I write before you start telling me that I fail.
2. Dave doesn't know I'm the only ninja who uses +3 black hood with no mask. (14 armour btw, not that it makes any difference)

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2012, 02:04:50 pm »
+4
Players were complaining of the game being too slow. Now we have a high speed attack that can be punished with anticipational blocking. Now they complain it's too fast.

The problem with increased speed is that it makes ping differences a huge issue. I'd rather have added complexity than speed.

So things like alternate attacks, fighting styles, etc.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2012, 02:43:50 pm »
+1
If you fail against instastabs - then you don't have enough of reaction. Anyway, instastabs is something that can be done only by high STR users or against no armour. If you whine that your 45 gold 10 armour Black Hood with Mask doesn't defend your face - good day sir, quit roleplaying ninjas.
So, if I pay 1mil for my weapons and you pay 10k for your head armor I should be able to beat you with no effort?
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2012, 09:58:03 pm »
+2
The problem with increased speed is that it makes ping differences a huge issue. I'd rather have added complexity than speed.

So things like alternate attacks, fighting styles, etc.
I am on this boat if you asked me. I much prefer the slower (current) combat speed because it makes battles SOO much more interesting and variable.
Native is boring, block well and attack quickly and use a trick here and there, and TADA, win! Native dueling sucks.

Before I moved to my new place with shitty ping, I had a good 4 minute long duel with galgorth that was full of extremely intricate dueling tricks (Chambers, kicks, feintchambers, purposely glancing thrust to do instant side swings, Holding an attack until they release their block not some arbitrary tiny amount of time, of course feints but pffft they are dumb, tons of techniques). The depth of our fight and metagame is something that I've never seen replicated in faster speeds/native.
In fact, our playstyles were completely different and yet on par with one another.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 10:05:04 pm by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Visconti

• Count
  • Renown: 278
  • Infamy: 52
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Velucan
  • Game nicks: Tristran_Steward_of_TKoV
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2012, 10:01:51 pm »
Its funny, because back when the 2h stab was slow, people complained about it, so they sped it up and gave it a shitty animation, and now people are complaining about it again?  :rolleyes:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2012, 10:53:43 pm »
Its funny, because back when the 2h stab was slow, people complained about it
wat? Who, the 2h? Yeah they sure have nothing to complain anymore. Come on, how can you look at the current 2h stab and not think it is retarded? Just look at your average 2h's behaviour. They know their stab is fucking strong, and use it all the time.

Players were complaining of the game being too slow. Now we have a high speed attack that can be punished with anticipational blocking. Now they complain it's too fast.
Yes, cause speeding up one specific attack for one class really adresses the slow game issue and not at all unbalances the pretty good balance that was there  :rolleyes:

Offline ThePoopy

• Earl
  • Renown: 411
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • .l..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: PolePoop
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2012, 11:33:21 pm »
+2
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Visconti

• Count
  • Renown: 278
  • Infamy: 52
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Velucan
  • Game nicks: Tristran_Steward_of_TKoV
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2012, 11:38:51 pm »
wat? Who, the 2h? Yeah they sure have nothing to complain anymore. Come on, how can you look at the current 2h stab and not think it is retarded? Just look at your average 2h's behaviour. They know their stab is fucking strong, and use it all the time.
Yes, cause speeding up one specific attack for one class really adresses the slow game issue and not at all unbalances the pretty good balance that was there  :rolleyes:

I agree, the stab is the strongest attack on 2hs. But its no different from the right swing on polearms, or the left swing on 1hs. And what i meant is, people complained about the slow 2h stab because it would kind of hang out there for a second after the animation finished, because of how slow it was, so they could still get hit by it.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2012, 12:00:14 am »
I agree, the stab is the strongest attack on 2hs. But its no different from the right swing on polearms, or the left swing on 1hs. And what i meant is, people complained about the slow 2h stab because it would kind of hang out there for a second after the animation finished, because of how slow it was, so they could still get hit by it.
No, it is completely different from the right swing on pole arms and the 1h swings.
The right swing is the only decent side swing for poles, as the left is god awful.
The left swing for 1h is fast BUT short, it's right swing is long but slow. Pros and cons, situationally used.

There are downsides to the upside you reference for those weapons. 2h Does not have anything like that. It has the good (or best) side swings, and the best thrust.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2012, 12:29:44 am »
+1
There are downsides to the upside you reference for those weapons. 2h Does not have anything like that. It has the good (or best) side swings, and the best thrust.
Actually, the thrust is the only 2h swing with a real downside. You're completely forgetting about thrust stun which is a major deterrent. I kill people all the time because of it. It's the reason why I favor the Miaodao and the Niuweidao.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2012, 12:32:21 am »
Actually, the thrust is the only 2h swing with a real downside. You're completely forgetting about thrust stun which is a major deterrent. I kill people all the time because of it. It's the reason why I favor the Miaodao and the Niuweidao.
No no, I'm not forgetting about it. Thrust stun sucks. It isn't even logical why the code has such a long thrust stun, 0.870 when others have much lower numbers for delay time.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 04:38:55 am by Marathon »

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2012, 02:14:36 am »
+2
2h needs a nerf? No shit.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2012, 05:41:11 pm »
I am 2h boy, I like to stab a lot, and i agree with that thread

sometimes I stab 3 times in the row like crazymotherfucker

This post immediately made me think of Forrest Gump... GJ rebel, gj.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2012, 08:20:04 pm »
+1
This post immediately made me think of Forrest Gump... GJ rebel, gj.

Coming from rebelyell, I don't think that was actually intented.

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2012, 08:35:18 pm »

I just chamber the swing meant to hit during the stun. Lots of people do this on EU. And even if they do a hold, I just cancel the attack and block, by then the stun is gone.

If you went out of your way to use miadao(which is far from a dueling weapon), then too bad I guess.

And in battle, barely anyone has time to think about the thrust stun because so much is going on at the same time. I usually pay attention to the stuns, especially as I am one of the few using a Longsword on EU and it's easier to capitalize on stuns with a fast weapon.

Anyway, ATM, stun is a bit too viable with 2h. Needs a tweak, that's all.
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.