Author Topic: How the hell is 1h underpowered?  (Read 4166 times)

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • Renown: 672
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Rhekimos
  • IRC nick: Rhekimos
Re: How the hell is 1h underpowered?
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2012, 03:34:05 pm »
My 95 length katana bounces off the wall all the damn time - even when I'm nowhere near it.

Well, all weapons do that. But I think we can agree that no weapon should completely ignore walls.

Offline Ptolemy

• Weeaboo
  • Count
  • Renown: 257
  • Infamy: 182
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja
  • Game nicks: Nomin
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2012, 04:04:57 pm »
My point is that yet again, someone is crying about 2h being able to do something that it just can't. The katana is a 2h weapon, yet it doesn't out-range you, it can't swing through walls, you can't spam it (unless your opponent is an idiot) and you can't lolstab with it.

People complain about "2handers" when what they mean is "greatswords". Pisses me off.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2012, 04:23:09 pm »
+1
My 95 length katana bounces off the wall all the damn time - even when I'm nowhere near it.
Your katana is far from UP, greatswords are OP, not my old friendtanas, but you certainly are still using a rather great weapon and the katana is faster than several 1h swords so go fuck yourself.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2012, 04:32:33 pm »
+2
Well you can be as effective as a 2h with a 1h str build and no shield ...
You can't , you get stun locked anytime you block a swing from a 2h or polearm.
Do not post in suggestion board unless you have some experience with subject of the thread please  .
You'll just derail the topic and start a cross-class buff/nerf hate war with your fail arguments.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2012, 04:32:48 pm »
+1
I would agree with Tydeus that 1h swords are a bit gimped, you really need 7-8 PS and a +3 sword to hurt people with more than 55 armor. This is especially tough on NA siege which is currently being dominated by KUTT running tons of str builds with 70-80 armor, 1h sword users are basically screwed. You shouldn't need to know sweetspots, holds and footwork expertly to land hits with a 1h sword, it really hurts average skill/newer players who want to be a balanced shield class for mobility and survivability. The harder hitting 1h weps like blunt and pierce are tough for newbies to use also cuz they are usually short or have other downsides. You contrast this with how easy it is for anyone to pickup a 2h and get kills by swinging away and something is a bit off with 1h.

So 1h is a bit strange cuz it's a very powerful setup in the hands of a top player but it has a very steep learning curve, probably the steepest in the game. So you see skilled veteren shielders like San, Arrowaine, Diggles, Rustyspoon, etc. topping charts but at same time I've seen  ace 2h/PA players like Wesley, Decius, AngryBumbleebee pickup shields and not do so hot, just cuz they don't know the ins-and-outs of the style and doing the wrong 1h attacks in a situation where a similar 2h attack would prolly work.

The real prob is that it's very difficult to land hits realiably with any hit besides left swing until you really know what you are doing. Right swing has unorthodox sweet spots that causes newer guys to glance a lot, overhead will now really get you into trouble if you don't know what you are doing cuz you will miss a fast moving target at close range, and stab is always kinda tricky. I have to tell new 1h I am helping to just focus on attacking with left swing 80-90% of time, cuz all they do is glance and miss doing anything else. Once they get that down then I teach them holds and feints for left swing, so they get through defences more.

Tydeus solution of bumping damage by +3 across the board could help without radically changing anything, it would probably reduce the 1h learning curve by making non-left swings glace less. I hope the devs don't radically change 1h too much cuz I have spent a long time playing it, and like to think I have learned the intracies quite well and with 38c and 8ps can beat just about anyone even super heavies (given enough time)

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2012, 04:57:40 pm »
+4
It's not underpowered, it's the best infantry class once you master it.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2012, 05:01:49 pm »
It's not underpowered, it's the best infantry class once you master it.
^

Offline DaveUKR

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 242
  • cRPG Player
  • Small rain lays great dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2012, 05:17:17 pm »
+1
I think that it's difficult to say that something is bad only because you compare one of its sides to anything else. The main purpose of playing 1hander is not the duelling. Onehanded weapons have their pluses over other weapons, same with polearms and same with twohanded. They're just different and they should stay different. Don't forget that:
1) Onehanders are 1 slot
2) They can be used with shield
3) The most expensive 1hander costs 1+k cheaper than the cheapest Great Sword (Heavy Great Sword)

I think that melee classes are more or less balanced. The only issue is strength builds (which will get fixed sooner or later). Cavalry and ranged are something that needs working at.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2012, 05:25:47 pm »
+3
I think all the classes are pretty well balanced. I do agree with Tydeus and Turboflex that sword damage could use a bit of a buff though.

Cut is hands down the worst damage type in the game. It also scales terribly. The higher the armor goes, cut damage gets exponentially worse. Add to the fact that 1handers have low initial damage and that PS scales terribly with 1h weapons. Needing 10+ hits to take down some guy in plate isn't fun.

Still, I think that 1h is the most fun and rewarding playstyle in the game. 1h no shield is a hilarious amount of fun. I also think that shielders are the overall most useful class in the game. If you ever had a good group of shielders working together, they could easily take apart other teams. Unfortunately though, most people don't spend enough time with the class to get to the point where it's really rewarding. 1h has a pretty steep learning curve. Most new people start off as a 1-hander, get their asses beat constantly and then decide to go 2h and never look back thinking the 1h playstyle is "weak."

Those few people who stick with it though, really see how crazy strong it becomes.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2012, 06:05:04 pm »
Okay I kinda get it now.

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2012, 06:08:02 pm »
I think that it's difficult to say that something is bad only because you compare one of its sides to anything else. The main purpose of playing 1hander is not the duelling. Onehanded weapons have their pluses over other weapons, same with polearms and same with twohanded. They're just different and they should stay different. Don't forget that:
1) Onehanders are 1 slot
So are quite a few 2h
2) They can be used with shield
So can quite a few 2h, and while they use 1h wpf while using a shield it's not like shields are that great at anything besides blocking arrows, and you don't need wpf for that.
3) The most expensive 1hander costs 1+k cheaper than the cheapest Great Sword (Heavy Great Sword)
Upkeep doesn't mean shit.

I think that melee classes are more or less balanced. The only issue is strength builds (which will get fixed sooner or later). Cavalry and ranged are something that needs working at.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2012, 06:11:07 pm »
Can''t say anything about 1h with shield, but 1h without shield is not that strong in battle, great for duel, but I'm doing a lot better as a polearmer on battle.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2012, 06:23:48 pm »
+2
1h no shield definitely gets handled by cav and sometimes ranged, although it is pretty adept in melee. My 1h no shield only has a 2.4 kd compared to 3.8 for my main just because of how hoplite and shield wards off those cav.

1h has more limited, yet more specialized swings. There are such things as the wrong and right swing in addition to footwork for sweetspots. The issue is how armor scales and makes a vast majority of the cut weapons gimped. In addition, the blunt and pierce weapons vastly increase in damage from looms moreso than the cut weapons.

Offline Lannistark

• Duke
  • Renown: 586
  • Infamy: 118
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Duke
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2012, 06:30:32 pm »
Yeah he's right, 1h is not underpowered, it's OP because it has 200 ghostreach when stabbing, stun, and can be swapped into throwing weapons whenever necessary.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2012, 06:46:41 pm »
Yeah he's right, 1h is not underpowered, it's OP because it
has 200 ghostreach when stabbing
2h got a longer stab anim, 1h stab glances more and is generally worse, it doesn't have ghost reach you're bullshitting.
stun
1h got low enough weight to get stunned and all weapons stun when they hit someone.
and can be swapped into throwing weapons whenever necessary.
2h don't have throwing weapons but polearms do, the throwing lance is a rather good melee weapon and while the spears/javs suck they still function in melee and are great at range.