Author Topic: Dark souls: Prepare to Die edition  (Read 65742 times)

Offline Gristle

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BRD
  • Game nicks: Gristle_BRD
Re: Dark souls: Prepare to Die edition
« Reply #315 on: October 15, 2012, 09:39:12 am »
+1
I think gear is more important than soul level. Hardest boss for my SL15 character was 4 Kings. Going from a +0 Lightning to +3 Lightning made all the difference.

Estoc is a fun weapon to PVP with, but I may switch to Shotel just to be a dick to shielders.

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #316 on: October 15, 2012, 11:23:13 am »
15+ Richards rapier with the sunblade enchantment is also pritty cool to use on pvp
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Nehvar

• Duke
  • Renown: 550
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 15, 2012, 03:31:39 pm »
While on the subject of PvP....pursuers are ridiculous.  I don't think I've ever failed to kill someone with a single cast (that wasn't dodged); regardless of whether they had their shield up or not.  Sorcery builds needed something for PvP but these new dark spells, well, pursuers and beads, are a bit over the top.

Has anyone tried deflecting pursuers with wrath of the gods?  Does it work?  I've been playing a faith build lately but the invasions tend to be lightning +5 spamming cheaters with invincibility and infinite stamina.  Typical GFWL shit.  I have not run into a sorcerer to test my suspicion yet.

so who do you think is the hardest boss? its kind of hard to tell when you are different levels, 'cause they don't scale right?

All the bosses are easy to defeat in my opinion.  I've been playing this franchise since the release of Demon's Souls** though.  I may not be the best measuring stick. 

The hardest thing for me to do, however, was to cut the tail off of Kalameet for the first time.  I was playing a straight INT build that had around 10 vitality at the time.  I remember it took more than a few hits to take off the tail while any hit coming my way was sure to be a one-shot if it connected.  I had to make a number of runs at that prick before I could get that crap sword. 

**If you include Demon's Souls then I'm going with the Maneaters.  They're assholes.  Flamelurker would be a close second.
WSE2 gives us the key to a wonderful world of butthurt...

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #318 on: October 15, 2012, 04:05:41 pm »
Flamelurker is a joke when you apply sticky white stuff.

Also, Ornstein and Smough first run through. Ornstein needs anger management...

"Oh crap a double boss, ok I can hide beh- crap he stabbed me already."
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 04:12:57 pm by Zanze »

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 2752
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 15, 2012, 05:17:51 pm »
Dunno about hardest, but for me easiest was Seath. Slightly harder was Artorias, but that was after I figured out I can tank him 2H mode...

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 15, 2012, 10:45:15 pm »
does anyone know much about graphics?

harder to see in screenshot but in the distance looks like MS paint sometimes. I want to know what effect this is called, so I can try and fix it in my dsfix mod settings.

Dunno about hardest, but for me easiest was Seath. Slightly harder was Artorias, but that was after I figured out I can tank him 2H mode...

wtf are you playing a different game to me? you can't tank artorias after he starts buffing up, thats why I had to switch to light to beat him.

and how can you find the bosses like seath hard when you stand next to them and they can't hit you.

seath was only hard in the first encounter LOL (I use my save hacks before bosses to save me time, and I actually spent a while trying to figure out how to beat him on the first encounter ).

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 15, 2012, 10:56:00 pm »
Banok l2p Dark Souls, also you can tank Artorias, on my first playthough I managed to take his buff attacks without staggering (to much) and taking little damage.

Offline Banok

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 16, 2012, 03:41:14 am »
Banok l2p Dark Souls

you mad bro?

I just completed game, all bosses - SL100. last boss was such a huge anticlimax. maybe its because my shield of artorias is too OP, but I could block 10+ of his attacks before I ran out of stamina. it was like a fighting a black knight with more hp, but still not that much.

prepare to die has all the best/challenging bosses imo, poor console kids.

and yeah I don't get the story in this game AT ALL, I was kind of expecting a long cutscene at the end explaining something. going to go do some reading on it.

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 16, 2012, 10:04:17 am »
The story in Dark Souls is one of the most awesome I've seen, its not about getting the story through fighting the main bosses, you have to see the story for yourself, exploring, talking to other NPCs etc.

Offline Banok

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 16, 2012, 05:20:19 pm »
yeah I know, I LIKE that the story is not force fed, hard to figure out and open to interpretation. Ive read up and kind of get the plot now.

HOWEVER, whats severely absent is a set of motives. my character has no motive for me to kill most the bosses/monsters in the game, other than "its your destiny as chosen undead bla bla" and for EXP. And likewise everything wants to kill you for mostly inexplicable reasons.

the undead attack you because they go insane when hollowed, some other mobs attack to protect thier forest. I guess alot are just animalistic monsters (dragons) but theres still alot of shit that attacks you for fuck all reason. for example silverknights are protecting gywnevere right?
(click to show/hide)
  but she's on your side...

reminds of malazan book of the fallen which also had epic plots/well written but none of the characters/populations had any real motives for their actions. I think its one of the subtle things that separates good fiction from bad fiction.

Offline Angry_Bag

• Count
  • Renown: 257
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Gay Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_NuuK
« Reply #325 on: October 16, 2012, 05:36:10 pm »
+1
You make me sad Banok : P

also the DLC stuff is comming to console soon
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 05:39:50 pm by Angry_Bag »

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1594
  • Infamy: 800
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 16, 2012, 07:16:20 pm »
does anyone know much about graphics?

harder to see in screenshot but in the distance looks like MS paint sometimes. I want to know what effect this is called, so I can try and fix it in my dsfix mod settings.

wtf are you playing a different game to me? you can't tank artorias after he starts buffing up, thats why I had to switch to light to beat him.

and how can you find the bosses like seath hard when you stand next to them and they can't hit you.

seath was only hard in the first encounter LOL (I use my save hacks before bosses to save me time, and I actually spent a while trying to figure out how to beat him on the first encounter ).

By tanking, I mean, attacking without evading or blocking his attacks. Had Havel set on me and +5 Black Knight Sword. He took two hits, then went to buff himself, I've hit him once during a buff phase and twice in buffed state.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #327 on: November 04, 2012, 10:30:09 pm »
+1
Just started playing again on my demons souls character, pretty much a pure bow user. Fun but pretty easy too. Also reviving thread, it must'nt die yet!
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
« Reply #328 on: November 04, 2012, 10:54:33 pm »
I've been rolling a SL 30 strength build in the Depths. Mid-rolling with a Balder Side Shield, Greatsword and full Steel set.

If you want to know fear and dead-angles, come visit me while I'm invading the Depths.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #329 on: December 08, 2012, 07:10:29 pm »
I am thinking about getting it cheap through a keyseller for steam but I am wondering if I actually gonna like it... it looks kinda crappy on screens, mods for proper resolution and gfx settings, wonder if it's actually playable/enjoyable with keyboard/mouse and the high difficulty sounds lame to me cuz I rather try to enjoy the story and gameplay on easy than getting frustrated over unfair enemies...

Any suggestions? :3
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.