Author Topic: Proximity based scoring should not be used.  (Read 6719 times)

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
Re: Proximity based scoring should not be used.
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2012, 02:40:54 pm »
+2
Siege needs unique scoring though. Proximity scoring is fine, but it should be proximity to siege objectives (flag, gate controls, etc) that matters, not proximity to wherever the zerg happens to be fighting.

Offline Savior_of_Death

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 44
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Savior_of_Death
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2012, 02:49:43 pm »
Well obviously they are trying to develop it :wink:
The wrong way

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2012, 02:52:01 pm »
Well, what worries me personally is that the devs have said they plan to do away with the current gold/xp gain system, including multipliers. I am guessing the score system is a precursor to this change, meaning gold/xp will eventually be tied to it. So basically going back to the old proximity based system with dmg dealing also taken into account.

This... I don't mind about my e-peen-score (well ok, a bit, I admit :mrgreen:) as long as its only a visible bonus but if the multiplier is bound to it  :|
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2012, 03:01:34 pm »
+2
I think it all depends on what the end goal of the points system is.

Is it a way to reward the players who have the most impact on the outcome of a battle, IE is it supposed to simulate the battle presence of a player?  If that is the intent, then I do not agree with proximity based scoring.  It will over-favor conservative & defensive melee players, while lone wolf & ranged players (and to an extent buttackstabbing cav) will not be rewarded for their effectiveness appropriately. 

If the intent of the change is to change battle strategies to encourage/force a more congested group fight, then it makes sense that proximity scoring is used but I question the merit of the system to try and force a gameplay style on the players.  It's already well known that teamwork & stick-togetherness are key to winning a round, but I like how people can fill other roles and still be effective without joining "the blob". 

I do agree that a big group of players can be intimidating even if it doesn't include incredibly skilled players, but you can both help and hurt your team by being close, either through clogging up attacks by being in the way or getting glanced off of by teammates, or poorly timing attacks so that a teammate is expecting a blow to land that doesn't come, and they end up taking the hit.

Basically my point is being with the group can both help or hurt your team (just like pretty much anything) and therefore I don't think it deserves to be a focus on point (and in the future gold/xp) collection over other things like assist kills and damage of high priority targets.  I have a thread with my suggestion at http://forum.meleegaming.com/game-balance-discussion/let%27s-expand-on-the-new-point-system!/ .

But like I said - if this is an attempt to change the way people play... go for it I guess, but I think it's a bad idea.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline bonekuukkeli

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Xawi_von_Perkele
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2012, 03:06:16 pm »
I see huge increase of running agi archers coming to this game. You really want it that bad?

Offline slimpyman

• Baron
  • Renown: 100
  • Infamy: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2012, 03:07:21 pm »
+2
There is no need for it. There should only be points awarded based on kills, damage done to players and enemy horses. I should not be awarded points for being near an enemy who is killed by a teammate, it makes no sense. It's a fundamentally flawed decision if its only intent in to promote players clumping together. I still see the same behaviors of players, but now being passive in a group is rewarded. Also, the poor bastard who decides to undulge in horse archery is even more fucked (disclaimer: I don't play one).

I think what most players wanted was their work recognized, support characters for the damage done, even if they didn't get the kill and the guys who get that good feeling when they fucking destroy a horse and see the rider careen to his soon to be death rewarded for their actions.

Proximity based awards seemed shoehorned in, for no real purpose than whatever new multiplier that may be envisioned.

I'm shit at this game, average at best...so I stand to gain the most from proximity points, but I think they are a bad idea. I want to be awarded
"points" for the damage I do and the kills I get...I don't want arbitrarily awarded points that have no reflection on what I contributed to the fight.

how about play to win, and not worry about your score.   i may not always be at the top of the boards, but my team wins. thats all that matters, really.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2012, 03:09:48 pm »
+2
Well, what worries me personally is that the devs have said they plan to do away with the current gold/xp gain system, including multipliers. I am guessing the score system is a precursor to this change, meaning gold/xp will eventually be tied to it. So basically going back to the old proximity based system with dmg dealing also taken into account.

Even in the current score system proximity doesn't matter that much. Also, virtually anything would be better than the multiplier system we have now.

With the probable exception of everything Paul came up with :P like the x0-x4 multiplier.

I say that because the multiplier system is imo what ruined the game's friendly pre-january atmosphere. Now we all are a bunch of competitive minmaxing jerks exactly like the communities of bazillions of FPS and RTS games. Splitting our time between calculating our best build, raging about failures and bragging about victories.

Victory shouldn't be the only thing that matters. Actually, fun should. Being competitive is only a part of that.

Finally, I remember chadz suggested the score would influence gold & xp. This in no way means gold & xp will be determined based on proximity, as score is more about damage, at least right now, and can be tweaked very easily anyway. Also, team victory/defeat will likely still have a notable influence of gold & xp.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2012, 03:15:10 pm »
The competitive atmosphere was there from the start, it's one of the things that drew me in, and I'm guessing at least some other people as well. People have a tendency to put on role-colored glasses, it could just be that the game was still fresh in your eyes at that time, and the community smaller.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Swaggart

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2012, 03:29:48 pm »
+4
While I really don't like the multi system, it does allow for different types of play styles, like Shine said.

Also, being scored for proximity means its actually easier to leech than with the multi system. All you need to do is follow a group, contribute nothing and you get rewarded more than a crappy x1. On one map I went off on a flank got 4 kills in one round and found myself in the bottom third accordring to points. Next round I followed the mob, got maybe one or two slashes in because of the constant worry about slashing a teammate and found myself in the top third. I don't see how I was a bigger contribution.

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2012, 03:51:49 pm »
While I really don't like the multi system, it does allow for different types of play styles, like Shine said.

Also, being scored for proximity means its actually easier to leech than with the multi system. All you need to do is follow a group, contribute nothing and you get rewarded more than a crappy x1. On one map I went off on a flank got 4 kills in one round and found myself in the bottom third accordring to points. Next round I followed the mob, got maybe one or two slashes in because of the constant worry about slashing a teammate and found myself in the top third. I don't see how I was a bigger contribution.

Strength build were underpowered so they needed a buff, this is what they got.

Offline dodnet

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2012, 03:53:41 pm »
how about play to win, and not worry about your score.   i may not always be at the top of the boards, but my team wins. thats all that matters, really.

You missed the point. Thats fine with the current multi system, its pure visual nothing more. But if the system really gets changed to a score based multi system, its NOT pure visual and e-peen!

(click to show/hide)

Offline dodnet

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2012, 03:58:01 pm »
+1
I say that because the multiplier system is imo what ruined the game's friendly pre-january atmosphere. Now we all are a bunch of competitive minmaxing jerks exactly like the communities of bazillions of FPS and RTS games. Splitting our time between calculating our best build, raging about failures and bragging about victories.

Victory shouldn't be the only thing that matters. Actually, fun should. Being competitive is only a part of that.

Remove the score board, multi and leveling completely and I swear you half to all of the players will quit and never come back. There has to be a kind of competition or its boring. This is not Wendy's Pony Paradise, this is WAR!

(click to show/hide)

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2012, 04:31:54 pm »
Being near an enemy obviously helps fight and kill him.  I'm not too sure people think before they make suggestions like this...

I've played shielder several gens.  Blocking, pinning, distracting an enemy, and absorbing blows ALL contribute towards killing an enemy.  By giving support players like this some points, you encourage team play and sacrifice plays.

Same thing for manual blocking some guy while your teamie stabs him in the back...or standing next to the enemy with a held attack, making him focus on your while youfriends cut him down.  All these types of activities are useful and should be rewarded.

Offline Toodles

• Knight
  • Renown: 76
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • DON'T CHASE CAV
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Merc_Bjorn
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2012, 04:42:45 pm »
I think the proximity system is good, but rewards for individuals should be higher - when my team has a strong mob I'll often take on the burden of harassing archers, keeping a bunch of them focused on me rather than shooting my teammates - this seldom results in many kills but most definitely has an impact on the outcome, even if I only end up killing one, or none.
Now this is fine with the current multi system in that the score means shit, but if indeed it gets tied to my multiplicator I'd like some return on the risks I take for my guys.

Offline Swaggart

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2012, 04:57:12 pm »
I've played shielder several gens.  Blocking, pinning, distracting an enemy, and absorbing blows ALL contribute towards killing an enemy.  By giving support players like this some points, you encourage team play and sacrifice plays.

Same thing for manual blocking some guy while your teamie stabs him in the back...or standing next to the enemy with a held attack, making him focus on your while youfriends cut him down.  All these types of activities are useful and should be rewarded.

And they were rewarded equally as the guy that killed 7 or 8 people: a multi increase. People seem to think that with the multi system, a kill and a great KDR was the reward when it was actually the multi.

I'm not defending the multi system, I absolutely hated it when I am stuck on a x1 thanks to herpaderp balance. And I also realize the points system is not set in stone and will probably go under further tweaking. Just saying what I think.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 05:03:58 pm by Swaggart »