Author Topic: Proximity based scoring should not be used.  (Read 6730 times)

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Callahan9119
Proximity based scoring should not be used.
« on: August 09, 2012, 04:06:49 am »
+2
There is no need for it. There should only be points awarded based on kills, damage done to players and enemy horses. I should not be awarded points for being near an enemy who is killed by a teammate, it makes no sense. It's a fundamentally flawed decision if its only intent in to promote players clumping together. I still see the same behaviors of players, but now being passive in a group is rewarded. Also, the poor bastard who decides to undulge in horse archery is even more fucked (disclaimer: I don't play one).

I think what most players wanted was their work recognized, support characters for the damage done, even if they didn't get the kill and the guys who get that good feeling when they fucking destroy a horse and see the rider careen to his soon to be death rewarded for their actions.

Proximity based awards seemed shoehorned in, for no real purpose than whatever new multiplier that may be envisioned.

I'm shit at this game, average at best...so I stand to gain the most from proximity points, but I think they are a bad idea. I want to be awarded
"points" for the damage I do and the kills I get...I don't want arbitrarily awarded points that have no reflection on what I contributed to the fight.
Hello

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
Re: Proximity based scoring should not be used.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 04:08:40 am »
+5

You're encouraging killwhoring with your suggestion. You're going to see a huge increase in people blasting through teammates to get the kill.

Peasants will be unable to level up because by not gaining any XP from kills, they will be perpetually stuck in peasant mode, which of course, will "kill the mod"
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Callahan9119
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 04:09:43 am »
+3

Peasants will be unable to level up because by not gaining any XP from kills, they will be perpetually stuck in peasant mode, which of course, will "kill the mod"
How?

There is no change than the previous system, but actual contributions are reflected in the score.

I stated that this whole premise as it pertains to a potential new modifier system is flawed....so yes, the new system would be flawed.

The current system is fine if you ask me, I feel a scoreboard reflection is good enough.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 04:15:33 am by callahan9119 »
Hello

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 05:08:29 am »
You can have a x5 and do nothing for your team with this system as well, so I don't get your point.

But I do agree the current system is fine.

And it's not proximity based scoring... it's proximity based experience............................. and gold..............

Offline Para

• Count
  • Renown: 170
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Para_KUTT, Slut_KUTT, Upper_KUTT, Ballmeat_KUTT, Ballmeat_Sandwich
  • IRC nick: Para_
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 07:45:20 am »
+21
Do you not realize the psychological effect that occurs when you are near more than one enemy? Just being in proximity of an enemy is an assist in a way because the enemy player has to focus on more than one player.
Woozle wuzzle?

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 10:54:15 am »
+6
Well a small bonus for being around is ok, as long as it stays small. I say 10-20% at max, the current 50% seem much too high.
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 11:03:02 am »
+3

You're encouraging killwhoring with your suggestion. You're going to see a huge increase in people blasting through teammates to get the kill.

To be fare when I see a mob of infantry in a fight I do a quick head count and if it's say 3-1 I just ride my Nibels right up the clacker of the ball, I tend to come out up on points :twisted:

But yes, system is good.

Also, what about the shielder that face hugs and enemy and pins them while some kills them. Or the player that positions themselves in a threating position to cause the player fighting an ally to falter and make a mistake, both are useful, both require skill.

-----

If it went something like:

1 point for being near an enemy when they died.
2 points for dealing damage to an enemy or riden horse.
3 points for taking down a horse with a rider on it.
3 points for a kill.
25 points for being on the winning team.

Something like this could work. Nice bonus for winning the fight, nice bonus for assiting other players and protecting your "hero" players.

Oh yeah and 5000 points for a bump kill.

Re-edit totally forgot. -10 points for harming Nibels in anyway!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 11:14:43 am by FRANK_THE_TANK »
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 11:03:06 am »
+2
Depends on how the new multi system works. If people's main goal is to literally just win the round by whatever means, then some proximity based XP/gold might be OK. But if its mostly about the score you don't want people finding new ways to leach, without actually taking part in the fights, just standing around trying to survive as long as possible, getting in the way and not really contributing until you absolutely have to.

If its about encouraging team play well the people who genuinely will use team work have the incentive to do so already, the best incentive possible; do whatever is in your power to win the round, whether that means going around in groups, sacrificing yourself, hiding, retreating from impossible fights, whatever is your teams best interests is what's rewarded currently. Going around in blobs can be good, but forcing fights just for the sake of getting a few more points or standing around getting in the way could result from making gold/xp less based on simply winning rounds. I want the game to remain tactical and reward people for simply winning the round, rather than for scoring points that won't ever truly represent someone's worth anyway..you can't predetermine how to allocate points for team work, just not possible. A little reward for being in the vicinity of a kill might be OK though, just needs to be balanced with everything else
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 11:20:01 am »
Do you not realize the psychological effect that occurs when you are near more than one enemy? Just being in proximity of an enemy is an assist in a way because the enemy player has to focus on more than one player.
Exactly what I was going to say. This should not be underestimated.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 12:29:17 pm »
+7
Tbh, sometimes people in my team even die in a manner that helps their teammates (soaking a hit for example). The simplest way to account for all the successful blocks, kicks, holded swings, and simple presences (sometimes in the way of the enemy's movement) that helped the team is the proximity score.

The advantages of the proximity bonuses far outweight the disadvantages. It also invites the peasants to participate (the best a real peasant can consistently do is distracting the enemy) rather than camping a far away spot and pissing off everybody.

Offline MB passionately

• Knight
  • Renown: 27
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Sarissas
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 12:35:32 pm »
Totally excited about the new score system!

1 point for being near an enemy when they died.
2 points for dealing damage to an enemy or riden horse.
3 points for taking down a horse with a rider on it.
3 points for a kill.
25 points for being on the winning team.

A very interesting idea as well!

Apart from that, the new score system is excellent for support troopers likes hoplites or pikers (numbers of them exploded?)
for archers as well (33% archers nowadays??), also with a 2h char you can get good scores if you move along the frontline.
Of course its a disadvantage these days for the valor whores, the guys that dont help the team and try to stay alive until the end, fuck them anyway, their mostly attention grabbers

Proximity system helps to improve teamplay, rewards the saving of a teammate but helps low level players as well to get their share. The numbers of archers went through the ceiling some time before the change took place

just play just play just play just play just play

Offline SirCymro_Crusader

• King
  • Renown: 1095
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 01:39:58 pm »
+2
Horse archery is even more fucked (disclaimer: I don't play one).

(Not just focusing on HA) However any support class is going to be severly impacted by the new score system yes. Including, throwers, horse archers, archers and even some agi-whores. Proximity as dodnet says should only be about 10-20% but even then if your not with the main group then your going to start feeling the effects of that.

Yes some may say 'but it encourages teamwork'. Wheres the teamwork when people are swinging like mad to get an assist hit or/and to get the kills, this new system will not change the mentality of some players who are solely kill based rather than teamplay. Now i dont know about you NA guys, but i already fear the Kapikulu on my team but when were all bunched up i mean......nice win to the other side

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 01:42:59 pm »
+2
Well, what worries me personally is that the devs have said they plan to do away with the current gold/xp gain system, including multipliers. I am guessing the score system is a precursor to this change, meaning gold/xp will eventually be tied to it. So basically going back to the old proximity based system with dmg dealing also taken into account.

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • Renown: 672
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Rhekimos
  • IRC nick: Rhekimos
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 01:46:15 pm »
+2
Well, what worries me personally is that the devs have said they plan to do away with the current gold/xp gain system, including multipliers. I am guessing the score system is a precursor to this change, meaning gold/xp will eventually be tied to it. So basically going back to the old proximity based system with dmg dealing also taken into account.

I wonder how killhungry that will make everyone. Maybe even the XP BARN will make a comeback.

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 01:48:04 pm »
This proximity system is a good thing in my opinion. The reason is, like Oberyn said, in the next gold/xp system. I'd imagine proximity score evens out the score between cavalry and infantry. Cav deals massive damage and gets good score alone with the damage, but doesn't get too big of a slice from the proximity score.

There is no sight in my third eye