Author Topic: Is Arbalest OK?  (Read 4763 times)

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
Re: Is Arbalest OK?
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2012, 06:06:00 pm »
I almost posted a rage thread about Arbalests seeming to be nerfed a week or 2 ago.

I was using a MW Arbalest and unloomed Steel Bolts at the time and struggling to get any kills.  Then i loomed my bolts to +1 and suddenly was doing well again.  Then I dropped down to a normal Arbalest and didn't even notice a difference.  The lesson I learned from this is that sometimes you just go on a bad run.

Using an Arbalest is one of the worst weapons for relying on the circumstances.  To do well you need; cover to reload, a nice firing position, a distraction so that people can't just dodge, no rain, a team that stays alive long enough for you to reload more than 3 times.  Fail to get these things and you don't really get the opportunity to shine which is why i always go hybrid :D

120 wpf is more than enough proficiency if you have a brain and then you have plenty of points left over to go melee when it rains :D

Not to mention that where you hit the other player, how far away they were, whether the sun is shining in Tibet, and how close the moon is currently in orbit will all affect the damage that you do  :shock:
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2012, 09:00:26 pm »
Not to mention that where you hit the other player, how far away they were, whether the sun is shining in Tibet, and how close the moon is currently in orbit will all affect the damage that you do  :shock:

That's all to make up for the fact that none of your stats will ever effect the crossbow's damage!  :lol:

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline El_Infante

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 60
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tercio_Alejandro_Farnesio
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2012, 08:08:21 pm »
+1
I played 4 o 5 gens of loomed arbalester and I have to say that:
- Rain ruin our day. Why? I have to change server everytime it happen. I hope someday dev remove that unfair penalty.
- Accuracy was nerfed a lot. In the oldtimes we had pinpoint accuracy at 170wpf. I agree is not balanced but a slightly buff is needed because is very hard to land far shots and our fire rate is so slow.
- Ranged damage is random. That is why sometimes players with heavy armor get oneshotted. (Speed bonus + high random damage).
- Oneshotting is luck. Sometimes archers die in one shot, sometimes not. The best way to do is shooting people that are running straight to you.

The thing I more hate is the repair rate. I can't earn money because that 1400 repair occurs more than it should, and my equipment is cheap (scale armor, mail gauntlets, and a flanged mace)

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2012, 12:41:57 am »
+2
I played 4 o 5 gens of loomed arbalester and I have to say that:
- Rain ruin our day. Why? I have to change server everytime it happen. I hope someday dev remove that unfair penalty.
- Accuracy was nerfed a lot. In the oldtimes we had pinpoint accuracy at 170wpf. I agree is not balanced but a slightly buff is needed because is very hard to land far shots and our fire rate is so slow.
- Ranged damage is random. That is why sometimes players with heavy armor get oneshotted. (Speed bonus + high random damage).
- Oneshotting is luck. Sometimes archers die in one shot, sometimes not. The best way to do is shooting people that are running straight to you.

The thing I more hate is the repair rate. I can't earn money because that 1400 repair occurs more than it should, and my equipment is cheap (scale armor, mail gauntlets, and a flanged mace)

I dislike xbows, but this player sounds reasonable. I've always been a supporter of 170 WPF being the sweet spot for accuracy for ranged. If you've devoted that much to it, you aren't some tincan running around with melee AND long range spam  :idea: The random factors just blow.  :mad: (I don't consider speed bonus random FYI)
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
  • Renown: 718
  • Infamy: 217
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Tomas
« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2012, 01:44:10 pm »
(click to show/hide)

I disagree with most of this. 

Rain is part of life and should not be removed, I rarely even notice it tbh. A head shot is still a head shot even with rain, whilst I don't notice the difference between 2 shotting or 3 shotting players because i can never know their build or what other damage they've taken.  Besides I deliberately try not to focus on individual players anyway as imo it decreases awareness of everything else. 

Accuracy is fine imo, nothing should be pinpoint in a game that doesn't have sway or wind.

Ranged damage isn't random, but how can you ever know how much health your opponent has in battle or their armour.  There's a massive difference between a 39-3 build in loomed plate/heavy gauntlets and a 21-18 build in normal plate/heavy gauntlets.  30 hitpoints and 10 BA to be exact.  Both will look identical to you though. My experience on the duel server is that damage is pretty stable if you replicate the shot against the same opponent.

As for not 1 shotting archers, this is the trade off from having pierce damage.

Repairs are the only issue i agree with but it is a wider issue related to the new valour system which rewards melee far more than in the past.  That is another topic though.

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2012, 04:45:21 pm »
(click to show/hide)
Accuracy is fine imo, nothing should be pinpoint in a game that doesn't have sway or wind.

Ranged damage isn't random,

But it DOES have gravity and missile speed which gives pronounced arcs to missiles, so it isn't some straight line shooter like you want to imply. It also has lightning fast horses (courser) that can change direction on a dime (Arabian), most maps with plenty of cover, athletics that let people run around like Benny Hill when they see that they are being targeted, and not to mention, shields.

Given comments from many otherbeta testers/dev types, I will take their word that ranged damage has a random component to it until the developer in charge of the formulas says otherwise.

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2012, 07:29:45 pm »
Given comments from many otherbeta testers/dev types, I will take their word that ranged damage has a random component to it until the developer in charge of the formulas says otherwise.

Meant to say "isn't that random" as in doesn't fluctuate as wildly as some people seem to suggest

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2012, 07:48:03 pm »
Meant to say "isn't that random" as in doesn't fluctuate as wildly as some people seem to suggest

That I could see. Still somewhat random, but yes you are right. People will shoot someone in the chest, then shoot them in the arm and say "WTF? Damage is so random!"

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
« Reply #68 on: December 24, 2012, 08:08:03 pm »
+1
That I could see. Still somewhat random, but yes you are right. People will shoot someone in the chest, then shoot them in the arm and say "WTF? Damage is so random!"

Don't you mean - WTF!? I one shot a tincan (agility based player already down to 5HPs, shot point blank in the chest from above) but failed to kill a peasant with my next shot (level 35, 42-3 str crutcher, shot in the arm from 50 yards on level ground). Damage is so random!!

:D :D

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #69 on: December 25, 2012, 09:00:33 am »
+2
More so than archers, crossbow users need to survey their field of vision for good targets. The slow reload and low ammo count means that every shot should be deliberate and meaningful. I like this distinction and don't want to see crossbows become more bow-like.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Segd

• Marshall
  • Renown: 845
  • Infamy: 88
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 25, 2012, 10:46:18 am »
I'm playing as xbowman only for 1 gen, but I think it requires some buffing if you'll compare them with bows:

- Rain reduces bow damage by 10%
- Rain reduces crossbow damage by 25%.
Bows also have more DPS(damage per second), more ammo & no need to use cover.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #71 on: December 25, 2012, 11:08:17 am »
+1
Damage randomness against unarmored targets is low. The more armor is used, the bigger is the randomness because of the structure of the Native raw damage vs. armor calc. What can appear as randomness to the untrained eye is the cRPG bone based hit zone system that will cut the damage down if  for example a limb is hit.

Offline Tovi

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 251
    • View Profile
  • Faction: OdE
  • Game nicks: KrisTovi
« Reply #72 on: December 25, 2012, 11:26:45 am »
In real world, xbows become unusable under rain.

Offline Corwin

• Earl
  • Renown: 499
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Corwin_the_Lazy
« Reply #73 on: December 25, 2012, 05:04:10 pm »
+1
This isn't real world. Otherwise, 20 arrows fired from horn bow wouldn't be able to hurt anyone wearing plate armor.
I mean, what have you got to lose? You know, you come from nothing, you're going back to nothing, what have you lost? Nothing!

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 25, 2012, 06:43:10 pm »
+1
I'm playing as xbowman only for 1 gen, but I think it requires some buffing if you'll compare them with bows:

- Rain reduces bow damage by 10%
- Rain reduces crossbow damage by 25%.
Bows also have more DPS(damage per second), more ammo & no need to use cover.

Yet somehow you see tincans using a xbow sidearm with 1 wpf, but never see them using a bow. Why? Your calculation completely leaves out the 6 skill points you need for Power Draw to use a Rus, Yumi, or Longbow. That is 6 points that can be placed into 3 strength points for the additional health, option for more power strike, etc. 6 skill points certainly is not insignificant and definitely disingenuous to leave out of the xbow vs archer debate. Not to mention the xbows can be held forever while an archer has a small window of firing opportunity for accuracy. Xbows fit their role just fine without a buff.