Author Topic: Is Arbalest OK?  (Read 4766 times)

Offline Corwin

• Earl
  • Renown: 499
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Corwin_the_Lazy
Is Arbalest OK?
« on: July 27, 2012, 12:23:45 pm »
After a long time, I respeced, picked up MW arbalest and MW steel bolts from clan's armory and started once again playing as crossbowman.

The first thing I noticed was that I can't kill shit anymore. In average, it takes 4-5 bolts (shot at different players, not one person) that actually hit something to make a kill. MW Arbalest + MW steel bolts don't one shot anything anymore, except some archers, that is if they are not too far away. I am not counting head shots, because you can kill with headshots while using ordinary crossbow which reloads almost twice as fast.

I thought the whole point of having a weapon that takes ages to reload like arbalest was that it can actually one shot most players? User gets punished by reloading forever, being completely exposed while doing so, having to make his shots count and being unable to carry anything good as a side weapon. But, if it can't one shot even an archer IMO it's not worth it anymore. It seems much more reasonable to pick up crossbow, pack up greatsword or 1h+ shield with it. Because you WILL kill most of archers if you shot them twice with crossbow. Not to mention that they can fire 5-6 shots while you are reloading your precious arbalest. Multiply that by two, since you have to shot them twice and you get the picture.

Not to mention all those situations when a guy in light kuyak or heraldic mail sees you and charges you. You shot him poin blank, maybe take away half his health and then better grab that side arm. Because shooting a guy point blank with the most powerful crossbow in game just isn't enough.

So, I am asking, is this working as intended? Did arbalest get a little overnerfed?
Or am I completely off, or just having a bad luck streak the whole day yesterday?

« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 12:34:02 pm by Corwin »
I mean, what have you got to lose? You know, you come from nothing, you're going back to nothing, what have you lost? Nothing!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • Renown: 672
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Rhekimos
  • IRC nick: Rhekimos
Re: Is Arbalest OK?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 12:26:50 pm »
4-5 hits to kill? You must have been shooting at people who just look alike.

Offline Corwin

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 12:27:35 pm »
4-5 hits to kill? You must have been shooting at people who just look alike.

4-5 hits to different people before you get lucky to get a kill.
I mean, what have you got to lose? You know, you come from nothing, you're going back to nothing, what have you lost? Nothing!

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 12:28:31 pm »
+3
Hitting limbs will result in a damage decrease.

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 12:29:07 pm »
Limb damage sucks now. It shouldn't take more than 2 shots to the chest to kill medium armored infantry.

Offline Corwin

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 12:30:16 pm »
Limb damage sucks now. It shouldn't take more than 2 shots to the chest to kill medium armored infantry.

IMO that's one shot too many, if they are close.

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 12:31:37 pm »
I've been using an unloomed Heavy Crossbow and unloomed steel bolts recently for fun. It never takes more than 4 shots to kill people, and most people only take 2-3 shots. Not sure who you've been shooting at, but I can't believe they're taking 5 shots with that setup. 4 maybe if they have fully loomed heavy armor and tons of IF, but that should only be a tiny percentage of the population.

One shotting with body shots at range is just not balanced on anything but very lightly armored targets, even with the reload time of the arbalest.

Offline Corwin

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 12:32:49 pm »
They are not taking 5 shots. It takes me to fire (and hit) 4-5 shots at different people before I score a kill. On average. Or that was my impression.

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 12:34:32 pm »
+3
They are not taking 5 shots. It takes me to fire (and hit) 4-5 shots at different people before I score a kill. On average. Or that was my impression.

Ooooh k that makes a lot more sense. Probably just hitting a bunch of people at full health. Bad luck I'd say.

Offline Corwin

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 12:38:48 pm »
+1
Dear warlord, with the time it takes to reload arbalest, only God knows where the guy will be when bolt is ready again.

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 12:42:05 pm »
Dear warlord, with the time it takes to reload arbalest, only God knows where the guy will be when bolt is ready again.

This is exactly why I decided against the arbalest and went for the Heavy XBow.  :lol:
You get that first hit off, and by the time the second is ready that guy is either already dead, has run away, or has killed off all your allies.

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 12:45:15 pm »
Actually, judging the time it takes to reload the Arbalest and the accuracy, I always saw the Arbalest, especially when loomed, as a headshot weapon and would use it as one.
It is more a sniping weapon than one for doing body shots. Also don't forget it is pierce damage, only good against plate. Or rather saying, a high STR/IF guy will laugh at you while he wears light armor. :)
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 12:49:15 pm »
Throwing lance needs a buff before the arbalest.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • Renown: 672
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Rhekimos
  • IRC nick: Rhekimos
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 12:49:33 pm »
Actually, judging the time it takes to reload the Arbalest and the accuracy, I always saw the Arbalest, especially when loomed, as a headshot weapon and would use it as one.
It is more a sniping weapon than one for doing body shots. Also don't forget it is pierce damage, only good against plate. Or rather saying, a high STR/IF guy will laugh at you while he wears light armor. :)

Everything ranged should always go for headshots now anyhow.

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 12:56:21 pm »
Throwing lance needs a buff before the arbalest.

Not so long as it keeps headshooting me from medium range.