Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2.  (Read 13703 times)

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
Re: Crusader Kings 2.
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2013, 02:11:57 pm »
+1
My carolingian empire spanning 80% of the map was run by 6 generations of dwarves.  Many of whom led armies to victory :p
Turtles

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2013, 03:03:54 pm »
Lol, never had a single dwarf in my entire dynasty, but my latest king died an incapable, under the regency of his son.

The previous king was my most memorable up until now. Killed 12 members of my dynasty through plots and assassinations, just to aquire Leinster back (stupid ancestors with their Gavelkind succession). Then one year before he died, the Pope jumped on the occasion and asked me to bury him under gold in order to remove my many sins of kinslayer, which I did, as a true paragon of justice and morality.

Another thing that makes me laugh is that if you tell your chancellor or great chaplain to improve relations in a county they have a holding in, they can improve your relation with themselves.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2013, 05:13:21 pm »
Get The Old Gods. new features and 200 years of gameplay :!:

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2013, 05:32:31 pm »
+1
Too expensive. I'll wait for when it's 75% off.
Don't.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2013, 05:46:58 pm »
Too expensive. I'll wait for when it's 75% off.

Probably a good idea. I bought CK2 and some interesting DLCs 75% off so I grabbed this one full price.

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2013, 12:29:03 pm »
Are there any CK2 experts around?.. Thought, i will ask here, before posting on the Paradox forum:

I have formed a Grand Duchy of Novgorod and a Grand Duchy of Lithuania. I have distributed all the land and titles between my kinsmen. Every single one of them, with no exceptions.
Suddenly, i am being informed about a dangerous faction within my kingdom - a lowborn Duke, with no parents, no kids and no wife, wants to be independent. He is holding 2 Duchies and 4 Baronies... WTF?! Finally managed to assassinate him, after few unsuccessful attempts, but the problem is still unsolved - how the hell did he manage to get all these titles? Is it because one of my kinsmen didn't have a heir? So the titles passed on to a random character?.. Or was he a local Stewart or a Marshall?.. That lowborn scumbag even dared to plot against one of my relatives!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
  Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline Casimir

• King
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2013, 02:03:27 pm »
if they had no heir the titles should have defaulted to you, i couldnt sya how he got a hold of all those titles unless they were given to him.
Turtles

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2013, 02:06:19 pm »
Who was his heir ?

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2013, 02:13:26 pm »
I played it a lot last year, making Hispania (from Aragon, first uniting the christians then global offensive) and ruling over France and areas of Northwestern Africa, allied with England and crusading into Italy, but then it got tiring always having the same ambitions, quests, etc...
All this was done with my genious king, who led men into battle. Then his son was not so smart, and one of my vassal French dukes got strong enough to challenge me to be independent, the bastard... So I plotted to get my brother on the throne, and now I have a not very friendly neighbour (very small, most of the South is mine, and West lost to HRE) France with my cousin in the throne.
And the HRE is getting itchy about some of the Eastern provinces.

I have not been able to get myself to start another game though... It always happens with this type of games. I tried with a county in Ireland, with a HRE low rank guy, etc, but I cannot get myself to go over all that plotting again, with so little options.
Do you have any way to keep it fresh? I really enjoyed it when I played that game, through thin and small.

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2013, 04:03:47 pm »

if they had no heir the titles should have defaulted to you, i couldnt sya how he got a hold of all those titles unless they were given to him.

Hmm.... i see... Well, there was a lot of internal struggle between my uncles, brothers, grandchildren and so on. I have deliberately separated their de jure Baronies, in hope, that my vassals would not get a concentration of power. So not a single Duke had more than 1/3 of de jure lands, and had some random baronies far away instead. It worked before, but this time, there was a non stop movement of troops, for about 30 years or so :) I guess, it is due to the new expansion, and lack of possibility to change "King's Peace" laws at this point ( ~ year 960 ).
Well, the most important thing is - the titles can't be passed to a random character, when there is no heir :) That is basically what I needed to know! Just need to hold on for a while, until i have more Kingdom level laws available.

Who was his heir ?

Sadly, I can't recall... Someone unimportant, his Chancellor perhaps? Definitely with no connections to any of my kinsmen, or neighboring dynasties.

I have not been able to get myself to start another game though... It always happens with this type of games. I tried with a county in Ireland, with a HRE low rank guy, etc, but I cannot get myself to go over all that plotting again, with so little options.
Do you have any way to keep it fresh? I really enjoyed it when I played that game, through thin and small.

Well, perhaps, you might want to try a different religion? There is a somewhat significant difference between Orthodox, Muslims and Catholic. It is not like comparing Zerg to Protoss in Starcraft, but still enough events and specific decisions to make some variety. I would  recommend to try some mods, many will add new traits and events, and some are altering combat mechanics and such, making Martial and Learning a great option for your king. There is even a "Game of Thrones" and "Elder Scrolls" total conversions, but i never played them myself. Here is list of good mods to try:

Project Balance
CK2 Plus
Immersion, Events, and Traits - A Modular Flavor and Tweak Mod 

There are many other mods out there, but these are "big" mods, with lots of features integrated from other smaller mods.

For me personally, it feels like every game is different. And since I am only using 1 year autosaves - the game seems to be very challenging, at least in the beggining. Besides, you can always continue your savegame, using another character on the map, and try to beat your own Great Empire as a lonely Duke. I have been playing for about 200 hours so far, and it still feels fresh! ( I smoke a lot of weed, that helps greatly!  )
  Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2013, 04:14:19 pm »
Concerning the duke with lots of land:
He probably attacked your vassals for it. If you have anything BUT high /absolute crown authority, vassals can wage war and claim each others land.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2013, 04:31:16 pm »
About splitting counties/baronies so that vassals don't get de jure duchies : that's not a very good idea if you want to keep a low amount of vassals under your direct control. Like they say in one of the loading screen tips : delegate. You don't have to worry about some duke unless you are a very weak king. Normally you can easily get one or two complete de jure duchies in your demesne. Not having a proper de jure tree of power at the ducal level also creates a lot of tension between your vassals, which actually isn't good, especially if they are family.

Personally to keep the game fresh I advise you to play it the dead is dead way. No reloading a previous save.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2013, 08:23:29 pm »
About splitting counties/baronies so that vassals don't get de jure duchies : that's not a very good idea if you want to keep a low amount of vassals under your direct control. Like they say in one of the loading screen tips : delegate. You don't have to worry about some duke unless you are a very weak king. Normally you can easily get one or two complete de jure duchies in your demesne. Not having a proper de jure tree of power at the ducal level also creates a lot of tension between your vassals, which actually isn't good, especially if they are family.

Personally to keep the game fresh I advise you to play it the dead is dead way. No reloading a previous save.

Yeah save scumming kinda defeats the point of the game imo.
Turtles

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2013, 08:36:00 pm »
Indeed, one of the most challenging times in my game happened when my heir and current character both died within a few months, leaving me with a bad character, which put in hold my expansion and caused me to lose lands to the muslims (was still unifying Hispania by this time).
I have never liked bypassing save games by reloading.

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2013, 01:42:07 am »
So what VPN does everyone use? I've never gotten the meta server to work or even able to join a game. I even tried hamachi but that didn't work. The only thing that I've gotten to work is tunngle, but even then I'm the only one who can host it or some reason.
Pock gobblers