Author Topic: 20 Months Later  (Read 5830 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1582
  • Infamy: 2289
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
20 Months Later
« on: July 03, 2012, 08:15:25 pm »
+19
I've started playing this mod in early December, seven days or so after I've bought the game on steam sale (if I'm not mistaken. Don't worry, this isn't another of those "I'm leaving" threads. This is just a retrospective.

At first, I'll talk about teamwork. Right now, teamwork isn't any better than it was when I started playing cRPG. Devs tried to change that and, since they cannot buff players minds and force them to use tactics, they decided to reduce impact single (smart and skilled) player have on battle outcome. That way, they "buffed" teamwork. This change reduced differences in player skill, which is the main point of this game.

Devs are still working on Operation Buff Teamwork, and final outcome is to make good and bad equally effective (by putting limitations on better players). That way, a group of bad players will always win against a single enemy, no matter how skilled he may be. That will be proof that teamwork has been buffed and it's finally giving results.

What that has to do with me? Well, I don't want to play game like that, which resembles crappy consoles ports. Question is, am I the only one who feels that way?

Therefore my suggestion is to stop with stupid nerfs and specialization and go back to the roots. I respect all the work you've done but that doesn't mean those changes were good. All your efforts to buff teamwork were futile, it's still where it was 20 months ago. You just made this game less interesting for those who look for a challenge and are willing to improve over time.

Remove some limitations you put on us. And make this mod more historically accurate while doing that. Think about some things you've done, dear devs. Think about results of those changes.

I'll give you a clue. Buffing individual player doesn't mean that you're nerfing teamwork. Team consists of individual players and by buffing them you're buffing the group as well. There are worse and better players, leave it that way. Worse players have two options: to cry for nerfs or to try to improve and become better. Don't fall for their trap, don't nerf the good ones because the bad ones feel insecure about themselves.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 08:19:15 pm by Leshma »

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
Re: 20 Months Later
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 08:16:59 pm »
+62
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 2825
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 08:19:43 pm »
+1
I've tried to keep it short as possible.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 08:19:55 pm »

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Latrinenkobold

• Earl
  • Renown: 332
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Stop the nerfs
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hagur
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 08:21:47 pm »
I've started playing this mod in early December, seven days or so after I've bought the game on steam sale (if I'm not mistaken. Don't worry, this isn't another of those "I'm leaving" threads. This is just a retrospective.

At first, I'll say talk about teamwork. Right now, teamwork isn't any better than it was when I started playing cRPG. Devs tried to change that and, since they cannot buff players minds and force them to use tactics, they decided to reduce impact single (smart and skilled) player have on battle outcome. That way, they "buffed" teamwork. This change reduced differences in player skill, which is the main point of this game.

Devs are still working on Operation Buff Teamwork, and final outcome is to make good and bad equally effective (by putting limitations on better players). That way, a group of bad players will always win against a single enemy, no matter how skilled he may be. That will be proof that teamwork has been buffed and it's finally giving results.

What that has to do with me? Well, I don't want to play game like that, which resembles crappy consoles ports. Question is, am I the only one who feels that way?

Therefore my suggestion is to stop with stupid nerfs and specialization and go back to the roots. I respect all the work you've done but that doesn't mean those changes were good. All your efforts to buff teamwork were futile, it's still where it was 20 months ago. You just made this game less interesting for those who look for a challenge and are willing to improve over time.

Remove some limitations you put on us. And make this mod more historically accurate while doing that. Think about some things you've done, dear devs. Think about results of those changes.

I'll give you a clue. Buffing individual player doesn't mean that you're nerfing teamwork. Team consists of individual players and by buffing them you're buffing the group as well. There are worse and better players, leave it that way. Worse players have two options: to cry for nerfs or to try to improve and become better. Don't fall for their trap, don't nerf the good ones because the bad ones feel insecure about themselves.

Hmm yeah i kinda feel the same a bit,though im looking forward to the next patch.

After all they try to make the mod better and more exciting and who knows how its going to look like in 2 months...

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 08:22:14 pm »

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 08:27:45 pm »
Just stop nerfing shit please...

Only way to improve teamplay and tactics is VOIP in game, and used with a "battlefield" style squad combat.  Where the squad leaders can talk to a battlefield commander, and their squad mates, and the squad members can only talk to their squad. 

Also, I still think a mandatory "practice" in the public server to go over formations would be awesome (like Mount & Musket does/did, even though it's a terrible game). 

Formations kick ass and win battles, even if it's just your team breaking up into two "mob mentality" groups who run around in a blob. 

The only time I really see any sort of formations is on super "enclosed" maps where a team will put up a shield wall and pikemen and camp. Or on open field maps where both infantry sides clash in one super large "front" that can span 20-40 people long. 

I've been in some epic strat battles where we had formations moving relatively in unison.  And I've been on the other side of some on my horse when pikemen, shielders, and 2h's were working together (with ranged behind them), and there was absolutely nothing I could do.  I could try to pick off a lone 2h'er who was 10 feet away from the group, but it was almost always suicide.

If the game made it easier for cavalry and infantry to form up and move in unison, you'd have a lot more teamwork.  Having actual cavalry charges into the flanks of an enemy would be epic.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 08:30:49 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline bosco

• Count
  • Renown: 258
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
  • Steady...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 08:29:53 pm »
+1
Conclusion: Buff heroes, nerf peasants.

Offline Chagan_Arslan

• Earl
  • Renown: 372
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Chagan_Arslan
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 08:30:32 pm »
+3
teamwork depends on the map played

open field maps tend to increase teamplay, village maps do the opposite

Offline Arrowblood

• Duke
  • Renown: 508
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Arrowblood
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 08:31:20 pm »
Yea i play the mod longer then Leshma :arrow: 8-)

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 08:32:56 pm »
+8
Im probably stupid but I want to know why you think individual skill has been nerfed Leshma.

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • Renown: 995
  • Infamy: 483
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • QQ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Rufio_pleaser_of_widows, LeLouche_LampeRouge, Quenya_Favourite_of_Rufio
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 08:40:03 pm »
+17
leshma im sorry but your post is near total bogus, good players still can own 5 vs 1, nerfing lolstabs has nothing to do with nerfing skill... only thing i can think of is the cav stab arch nerf, for the rest game is still proceeding in the right direction, also i dont like your historical accuracy lobby, its very narrowminded imo, crpg has grown into a great mod, and everybody in the community has his place, from ninja to knight, and thats the way i like it, we right our own history!

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 09:05:41 pm »

I lol'd hard

Offline Korgoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 742
  • Infamy: 100
  • cRPG Player
  • I've dated girls uglier than you for Breakfast
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Korgoth
  • IRC nick: Korgoth
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 09:19:01 pm »
+3

I read like a sentence then scrolled down and saw that and I laughed so much!

Korgoth's Retextures
Korgoth's Hierloom Stall

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 09:26:08 pm »
+2
Actually I prefer game with resonable skill ceilings.

On one hand skill should matter of course, as it's a source of motivation, but on the other hand I hate games where a few very skilled no-lifers dominate the entire rest of the average server crowd.

And on the other hand I am a big fan of realism. I prefer ArmA2 over Battlefield 3 for example. And in a real battle you HAVE to be screwed when encountering too many enemies, that's the point of having a big army. It surely isn't the joy of feeding all the hungry mouths.

I prefer battle where everyone stands in line. The shieldmen cover the rest, pikemen keep enemies on distance, archer shoot from the second line, and everyone tries to stay together and survive. I don't like battles where there is some kind of Aragorn or any Asian hero who literally flies over the battlefield, killing hundreds of enemies.

That's why I like the idea of being screwed when (heavily) outnumbered. Unless you use a smart tactic like a bottleneck or the like. Which is still something skill has little impact on.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)