Author Topic: Nonse hit detection- will be ever fix?  (Read 6423 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Nonse hit detection- will be ever fix?
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2012, 11:53:50 pm »
+1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AIWodyQvq4

I don't know about shield forcefield, but what I see in this video is fucked up and got me killed more than it should *mad*

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2012, 12:01:46 am »
Gave a look to the Warband code, it doesn't even care if you have a shield when checking for agent-agent collision.
Basically it's an engine quirk that has always been there, for some reason it got noticed only after the shield forcefield change, and the change got the blame.
Sigh.

This thread gives me the impression everytime we report bugs devs ignore it because they think we are trying to bullshit them.

I don't think you're trying to bullshit me, I think you are drawing conclusions based on insufficient evidence. See above in this very post.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2012, 12:08:00 am »
There is no definitive way to "fix" it, because technically it isn't even a bug. It can be tuned and masked by software (which we will continue to try improving), but in the end there'll always be a hardware/network factor.

Most of the time the cause is not serverside. Nonetheless, there are both clientside and serverside improvements planned. If it's caused by a slow/interleaved/noisy connection, there's nothing we can do about it.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2012, 12:16:33 am »
Gave a look to the Warband code, it doesn't even care if you have a shield when checking for agent-agent collision.
Basically it's an engine quirk that has always been there, for some reason it got noticed only after the shield forcefield change, and the change got the blame.
Sigh.

I don't think you're trying to bullshit me, I think you are drawing conclusions based on insufficient evidence. See above in this very post.

Well that's cool, but even in the absence of connection, the agent-agent collision is still fucked up and the forcefield nerf still has what I would call unwanted effects on non-round shields :P

Also for nitpicking, apart from the the thread's topic, I wasn't actually blaming any change

Offline Tomeusz

• Junk Thread Creator
  • Count
  • Renown: 172
  • Infamy: 165
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2012, 12:25:00 am »
You shooting targer standing 1 metre from you, full focus and arrow miss, but when guy chase you with 1h sword, swing have 3 metre reach, yeah thix is nothing about bugs, but internet connection... .

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2012, 12:31:46 am »
Also for nitpicking, apart from the the thread's topic, I wasn't actually blaming any change

I was referring to Digglez.

You shooting targer standing 1 metre from you, full focus and arrow miss, but when guy chase you with 1h sword, swing have 3 metre reach, yeah thix is nothing about bugs, but internet connection... .

On the other hand, I think this one is trying to bullshit me. Protip: exaggerating heavily in bug reports is a really bad idea.

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2012, 12:50:15 am »
Because it doesn't. Ghost reach is when a weapon hitbox is longer than the visual model. If a weapon has ghost reach, it will be noticeable every time you attack.
What people call ghost reach is caused by client-server delays, server-client delays, and synchronization approximation. What you see looks like there's ghost reach, but what the server "sees" (and most other clients probably) is perfectly fine.

So how much does the additional weapons/armors/submods/patches contribute to this? I've also noticed a significant increase in the ghost projectiles for the past two years.
Pock gobblers

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2012, 12:55:56 am »
Ghost projectiles is an entirely different thing than ghost reach. I haven't looked into that well enough to draw a conclusion.

Offline Minx

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Minx
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2012, 12:59:06 am »
Ghost projectiles is an entirely different thing than ghost reach. I haven't looked into that well enough to draw a conclusion.

Please do, nothing more frustrating than a direct hit passing directly through someone. Sadly though I think its latency related as when my ping goes up the more it seems to occur.  :(

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2012, 12:59:35 am »
Nonse? What's that? (will it ever be fixed*)

Offline Vkvkvk

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2012, 01:37:20 am »
Because it doesn't. Ghost reach is when a weapon hitbox is longer than the visual model. If a weapon has ghost reach, it will be noticeable every time you attack.
What people call ghost reach is caused by client-server delays, server-client delays, and synchronization approximation. What you see looks like there's ghost reach, but what the server "sees" (and most other clients probably) is perfectly fine.

Right, any way to fix that? I mean I understand that netcodes and ping aren't things that can really be fixed easily or at all but that kind of unsync between client-server/server-client is getting worse and worse.

As I'm no dev, I don't know about the inner workings of WSE or anything like that in details so if I'm wrong, feel free to call me stupid but isn't adding all that new WSE stuff  just straining the servers even more by having to calculate more things at once, effectively making phenomenons like Ghost Reach happen more often? I've been playing cRPG exactly 2 years now (Give or take a few days) and my playstyle has never changed, it's always been about me going high athletic builds just so I could dance just outside of someone's reach and attack them when they were already commited to an attack, making it so that they couldn't block if I timed it right. That playstyle is unfortunately getting harder and harder because of said phenomenon, I used to be able to do it with great results a year and a half back so I don't see why I would somehow become worse in my best playstyle when I've gotten absolutely better in everything else by miles.

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2012, 01:39:46 am »
The thing is, if it was the server's fault (i.e. WSE or engine related) we would be all experiencing it, with no exceptions. I can't speak for others, but I haven't seen anything like that, which makes me think it's not the server after all.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2012, 02:59:50 am »
I was referring to Digglez.

Why u no always quote people  :(

That would would also prevent me from ridiculing myself with writing brainfarts.

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2012, 03:28:34 am »
I have had no problems, you all just suck.
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2012, 03:34:46 am »
would be nice if the game had proper weapon tracers instead of area of effect attacks to stop ghost reach and such. pvkii and wotr have it.