Author Topic: Nonse hit detection- will be ever fix?  (Read 6413 times)

Offline BranStark

• Knight
  • Renown: 40
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: BranStark_Astralis
Re: Nonse hit detection- will be ever fix?
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2012, 04:16:09 am »
Works perfectly fine for me, sound like the problem is on your side.

Awesome attitude from someone on the dev team.

:rolleyes:

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2012, 05:06:29 am »
would be nice if the game had proper weapon tracers instead of area of effect attacks to stop ghost reach and such. pvkii and wotr have it.

And Mount&Blade had it long before them.

I was gonna write something about that, but then I browsed through your posting history and saw several posts where you accuse me of being biased towards 2h.
If you don't mind, I'm just gonna label you as a dumbass and ignore you.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2012, 05:15:35 am »
+2

:rolleyes:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Serfonz

• Judge Serfonz
  • Count
  • Renown: 193
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
  • Oh Hi.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nord_Serfonz_the_Cowardly
  • IRC nick: Serfonz
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2012, 11:43:32 am »
I seem to recall someone saying at some point that arrows sometimes look strange because WPF is only applied after the arrow is fired? Or is this one of my imaginings?
I'm not retreating, just advancing in another direction!

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2012, 01:17:37 pm »
Tbh that sounds like generic talk from someone who doesn't know how a game engine works and is just speaking by hearsay.
"I heard if you put too many items in the Start menu it breaks, so you shouldn't put too many features in cRPG or it will break too."
No, that's the exact opposite of hearsay, because it's what I am experiencing at first hand: more phantom hits and blocks than ever before.
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2012, 02:20:02 pm »
No, that's the exact opposite of hearsay, because it's what I am experiencing at first hand: more phantom hits and blocks than ever before.

I take it you haven't even checked what part of your post I quoted?

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2012, 05:56:58 pm »
I take it you haven't even checked what part of your post I quoted?
I have no idea whether the number of items you can buy affects gameplay or not, except that it may be related to the fact that people have been told to turn off "Load Textures on Demand"; I am merely commenting that there seems to be a lot of stuff available to buy that isn't really needed, like all the shirts and dresses and high end helms that are barely distinguishable from each other. What I do know is that now there are more phantom blocks and blows for me and people who previously had not been affected by this phenomenon now are. I started to notice them way back with the patch that brought in half-swording secondary mode for 2H swords. Some versions have improved playability and others have made it worse. The latest has made it worse. I expect these problems will soon be fixed, but not if nobody tells the developers! I am also warning of the dangers of trying to do too much with a game mod.
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • Renown: 454
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard, ex Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Mlekce, Sergius
  • IRC nick: Mlekce
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2012, 06:15:14 pm »
Fix the fucking overhead and stab with 1h weapons. Every time my sword pass trough enemy body and i die because of that.

Offline obitus

• Earl
  • Renown: 486
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeAOv_H-hh0&hd=1
  • Faction: kings of kd
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2012, 06:15:33 pm »
+1
hit registry is terrible, sequel pls

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2012, 08:12:13 pm »
+1
I notice nothing new. Hit registration and overall smoothness of this game varys all the time, mostly I blame inconsisency of internet connection.

And compared to any native server the crpg EU server is much smoother and faster responding.

Offline Tomeusz

• Junk Thread Creator
  • Count
  • Renown: 172
  • Infamy: 165
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2012, 09:34:57 pm »
Fix this bullshit ghost swing already! Is it so hard to adjust weapon spread dmg according to it lenght?-_-
Or atleast add option of battle record, to proof you are wrong.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 09:41:26 pm by Tomeusz »

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2012, 09:39:39 pm »
Fix this bullshit ghost swing already! Is it so hard to adjust weapon spread dmg according to it lenght?-_-

After the big ghost range correction all weapons are exactly as long as their models; however, the ghost range due to movement+instantaneous communication is most likely not physically possible to fix.

If you stand fully stationary and your opponent as well, there will be no ghost range.
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Tomeusz

• Junk Thread Creator
  • Count
  • Renown: 172
  • Infamy: 165
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2012, 09:43:39 pm »
After the big ghost range correction all weapons are exactly as long as their models; however, the ghost range due to movement+instantaneous communication is most likely not physically possible to fix.

If you stand fully stationary and your opponent as well, there will be no ghost range.
So why World of Tanks hasnt this problem? Even if you move a 1cm from an object it wont hit it, because of some invisible ghost hitbox;/.

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2012, 09:49:27 pm »
+6
Comparing World of Tanks with Warband...

Offline Gafferjack

• Knight
  • Renown: 40
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2012, 12:22:24 am »
+7
I just played 2 hours as twohander on duel server and there weren't any of the problems mentioned here.

In my experience, it wholly depends on the weapons you face; it's very common on some one-handers (Italian Sword, Long Espada Eslavona, Nordic Champion's Sword, for example), and weapons like the Morningstar, although there is an underlying problem (at least in my opinion) about effective weapon length.

After the big ghost range correction all weapons are exactly as long as their models...

In general, this is an undesirable way to model weapon length outside of people being completely naked. I'd assume that most armors are, in fact, not part of your skin. A gambeson should be at least 1-2 cm of thickness, not counting any of the heavier armors. The fact that you take full damage from being hit by the tip of a weapon that didn't penetrate more than 2-3 cm into your flesh is fairly unrealistic, unless HP is supposed to model pain tolerance.

There is no definitive way to "fix" it, because technically it isn't even a bug.

For the most part, ghost-reach complaints are about being hit by the near-invisible fast-moving tip of a weapon. Normalizing weapon length should actually be pretty easy. Taking off at least 2-3cm from each weapon would make it so the 'ghost-reach' essentially never happens. Ideally it would be 5-6cm so you can actually justify taking full damage from an attack that penetrates your armor, but I can understand why this wouldn't happen.

Picks having a length longer than the tip of their pick head is fairly stupid. I used the Military Pick for a long time, and got some stupid hits where the actual pick never hit my enemy, just the top of the model (where it's completely flat). Mace and axe weapons would ideally have their length reduced from the top of the head/ball (so you're actually hitting them with part of the head, and not sliding off their armor). A good example is the morningstar, where its length is calculated based on the top spike protruding from the ball. Getting hit by this shouldn't cause full damage, especially considering you only need to be hit by the very tip of it.

Another weapon that I feel really exemplifies the inadequacy of weapon length is the Bec de Corbin. Its length is calculated on the very top of the thrusting spike. This means that you get hit by full swinging piercing damage from a tip slash. This would be a weapon that would benefit greatly from the proposed feature that changes the damage/type based on what part you hit the weapon with, in addition to normalizing effective weapon length; getting hit by a swing with the stabbing point would be cut damage, and not full pierce damage, and you'd actually have to penetrate a decent amount of the weapon into the person to cause said damage.