Author Topic: Nonse hit detection- will be ever fix?  (Read 6428 times)

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
Re: Nonse hit detection- will be ever fix?
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2012, 11:20:14 pm »
+1
So people who have never had animation problems, running on the newest generation hardware on large bandwidth networks, all simultaneously having issues for the last couple weeks are a coincidence?

I've been playing M&B since spring of 2009, and was in the beta for Warband and have been playing c-rpg for about 14 months, and I've never once (up until a couple weeks ago) had it where I right click to block, and my guy shows me blocking, and then all of a sudden my blocking animation goes away, and it shows my guy is already 70% through his swinging animation and hitting the enemy.

I mean every time it's happened I've hit the enemy (when I thought I was blocking) so it was like "cool", but then it's like, well not cool if this is happening to other people.  Maybe the blessings of chadz have been granted on me.

But hey since Digglez said something you can disagree with, it must mean there's no validity to the rest of his statement.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2012, 11:22:40 pm »
you know full well WTF i'm talking about.  THE WSE change that allowed more collision for weapons: getting stuck in walls, spears into ground.

One of the best changes so far.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2012, 11:22:51 pm »
you know full well WTF i'm talking about.  THE WSE change that allowed more collision for weapons: getting stuck in walls, spears into ground.

Ground collision: doesn't change hitboxes, it's just a flag change
Early object collision: doesn't change hitboxes, it just relaxes animation progress checks
Early teammate collision: doesn't change hitboxes, it just relaxes animation progress checks

Does any of those affect combat with enemies? Nope.

So people who have never had animation problems, running on the newest generation hardware on large bandwidth networks, all simultaneously having issues for the last couple weeks are a coincidence?

I seem to have missed the hundreds of posts from those people. Can you provide me the links, please?

But hey since Digglez said something you can disagree with, it must mean there's no validity to the rest of his statement.

There's nothing to disagree with, it wasn't an opinion.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2012, 11:24:30 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AIWodyQvq4

So explain why people (ENEMIES) are able to pass directly thru my shield & character model?  Notice how enemy is stopped if he tries to jump past, but if hes on the ground he can go right thru it.

We enjoy the mod ALOT, which is why we play it.  We want it to be the best it can be, we're merely informing you that there are signifcant bugs and would love if you can fix them.  Denial doesnt help.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 11:29:52 pm by Digglez »

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2012, 11:25:37 pm »
ok threads on fire right now!

Just to throw in a bucket of cold water.. Yes I play on a crappy comp with extremely dodgy wifi internet etc etc..

But cRPG doesn't feel as solid as it has been in the past to me neither.. Could be new textures causing performance loss on my side or something else, IDK..

I bet none of us players can tell the exact technical reason for this, but something seems to be up.

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Vkvkvk

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2012, 11:34:54 pm »
I bet none of us players can tell the exact technical reason for this, but something seems to be up.

Yup, couldn't tell you the technical reason for it, what I can tell you though is that it still happens and people have been vocal about ghostreach for easily more than a year at this point but some people just acts like that shit doesn't exists.

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2012, 11:35:04 pm »
So explain why people (ENEMIES) are able to pass directly thru my shield & character model?  Notice how enemy is stopped if he tries to jump past, but if hes on the ground he can go right thru it.

Because the shield forcefield is smaller. Make the shield forcefield smaller in Native, and you'll have the same result. Since we don't want to have huge shield forcefields, you're gonna have to live with that.
EDIT: wrong
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 12:17:35 am by cmpxchg8b »

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2012, 11:39:10 pm »
This thread gives me the impression everytime we report bugs devs ignore it because they think we are trying to bullshit them.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2012, 11:39:20 pm »
Because the shield forcefield is smaller. Make the shield forcefield smaller in Native, and you'll have the same result. Since we don't want to have huge shield forcefields, you're gonna have to live with that.

Live with enemies walking thru my character model?  nice

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2012, 11:41:16 pm »
Digglez your tone is awful..

he just explained that SHIELDS have smaller forcefield than their size suggests.. this has the added effect that people can sometimes sneak closer to them.

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2012, 11:41:50 pm »
+2
Yup, couldn't tell you the technical reason for it, what I can tell you though is that it still happens and people have been vocal about ghostreach for easily more than a year at this point but some people just acts like that shit doesn't exists.

Because it doesn't. Ghost reach is when a weapon hitbox is longer than the visual model. If a weapon has ghost reach, it will be noticeable every time you attack.
What people call ghost reach is caused by client-server delays, server-client delays, and synchronization approximation. What you see looks like there's ghost reach, but what the server "sees" (and most other clients probably) is perfectly fine.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2012, 11:43:34 pm »
+1
What people call ghost reach is caused by client-server delays, server-client delays, and synchronization approximation. What you see looks like there's ghost reach, but what the server "sees" (and most other clients probably) is perfectly fine.

Hey cmp, is there a way to fix this?

It drives me insane when I die because of it. And people don't believe you that it happened, and tell you to stop whining. Gah.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2012, 11:44:09 pm »
+1
Because it doesn't. Ghost reach is when a weapon hitbox is longer than the visual model. If a weapon has ghost reach, it will be noticeable every time you attack.

Are there room for performance increases in this area? I mean.. not for us players, cause we want to continue to play on our crappy connections, but serverside?

(but yeah, had a great isp here in poland once.. never did so well in crpg.)

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2012, 11:45:30 pm »
I haven't really noticed anything weird about the hitboxes that weren't already there (direction switch for swings/blocks, ghost reach, etc.). There are times where after an opponent blocks an attack, I block immediately after yet still get hit. That might be an issue on my end, though, and only happened around ~8 times in the past month of playing.

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2012, 11:50:28 pm »
+1
Hey cmp, is there a way to fix this?

There is no definitive way to "fix" it, because technically it isn't even a bug. It can be tuned and masked by software (which we will continue to try improving), but in the end there'll always be a hardware/network factor.

Are there room for performance increases in this area? I mean.. not for us players, cause we want to continue to play on our crappy connections, but serverside?

Most of the time the cause is not serverside. Nonetheless, there are both clientside and serverside improvements planned. If it's caused by a slow/interleaved/noisy connection, there's nothing we can do about it.