Author Topic: cRPG: status and plans  (Read 58345 times)

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
Re: cRPG: status and plans
« Reply #255 on: July 30, 2012, 06:19:13 pm »
speeding up melee swing speed sounds like pretty dumb idea.  Mod should really have a 5% chance of any parry failing, resulting in 1 of the parties getting hit by a richochet/loose weapon or possible disarming.  WPF should help prevent that

Offline Tor!

• He's Tor!
  • Marshall
  • Renown: 739
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Tor
« Reply #256 on: July 30, 2012, 06:24:06 pm »
+6
anything that has something to do with chance is a bad thing
[00:53] <xant> i used to play on eu_1
[00:53] <xant> then i took an arrow to the knee

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 30, 2012, 07:15:24 pm »
Randomization lowers the skill required in a game. Can't believe you actually suggest such a thing. GTFO.

The skill ceiling should be increased by speeding up the game and adding more depth to the combat system. Which is the approach they're taking, I just hope they hurry up.

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #258 on: July 30, 2012, 07:20:51 pm »
Less random = more skill its true.

But what I don't want to see is things like katana being able to just spam down some weapons at 200+ wpf which used to happen in old crpg sometimes. No weapon should be able to doubleswing, unless the other player hesitates of course.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline Teeth

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 30, 2012, 07:47:53 pm »
+1
Less random = more skill its true.

But what I don't want to see is things like katana being able to just spam down some weapons at 200+ wpf which used to happen in old crpg sometimes. No weapon should be able to doubleswing, unless the other player hesitates of course.
If you speed every weapon up by 10%, nothing is going to changes spam-wise, everyone just needs to block faster.

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #260 on: July 30, 2012, 08:04:58 pm »
I agree, I hope that more than speeding up those with high WPF, that this new curve actually SLOWS DOWN those who invest little to nothing in WPF (and WM to that matter).

I would rather just see Agi/WM builds buffed, not str builds nerfed.

If you speed every weapon up by 10%, nothing is going to changes spam-wise, everyone just needs to block faster.

I agree with this, unless it is so fast that players won't be able to react in time. This seems like it would only be a problem if the wpf carryover was added back, where some players had 300+ WPF.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 30, 2012, 08:14:53 pm »
anything that has something to do with chance is a bad thing

Wrong.  Low % chance events add a unpredictable gameplay element that means players have to adapt and think on their feet.  100% certainties are what is called 'BORING' & predictable gameplay

If you think chance is so bad, why is damage currently chance based?  Looks like you just got served

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 30, 2012, 08:26:50 pm »
Wrong.  Low % chance events add a unpredictable gameplay element that means players have to adapt and think on their feet.  100% certainties are what is called 'BORING' & predictable gameplay

If you think chance is so bad, why is damage currently chance based?  Looks like you just got served

I guess games like chess and go are boring as well right?

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 30, 2012, 08:36:26 pm »
I guess games like chess and go are boring as well right?

Yep, which is why you see them broadcast all the time and they get such good ratings.

Offline Teeth

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 30, 2012, 08:42:04 pm »
+3

You can't adapt to random events, it either happens or it doesn't without you being able to influence it at all. Nothing pisses me off as much as dying to random things. Luckily this game as rather few randomities that get you killed, I can almost always directly blame myself for dying, and can then improve upon what went wrong. That is skillbased gaming, that is what makes this a great game. The only unpredictabilities in a game should be those caused by the skill of your opponent at being unpredictable.

And who here actually likes that? I know I don't. I think the only reason it is in is to simulate that similar blows can do more or less damage depending on if they hit vital organs. Would be much more awesome if we had a damage model that properly simulates this and have completely non random damage.

Offline Tor!

• He's Tor!
  • Marshall
  • Renown: 739
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Tor
« Reply #265 on: July 30, 2012, 08:44:36 pm »

So your saying that suddenly standing there without a weapon because you had an unlucky roll, will add to the skill factor? Randomness on the damage - sure, in some instances I find it a bit silly, but then again you have angles, movement speed, turning, where you hit, held attack or not, factors YOU decide as a player. It does however seem you have something against anything skill related, but everyone is entitled to their opinions. Your "You just got served" line made me laugh though, honestly. I for one try to keep a discussion civil, but it seem you resort to insults at the first sign of disagreement.
[00:53] <xant> i used to play on eu_1
[00:53] <xant> then i took an arrow to the knee

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 30, 2012, 08:56:53 pm »
So your saying that suddenly standing there without a weapon because you had an unlucky roll, will add to the skill factor? Randomness on the damage - sure, in some instances I find it a bit silly, but then again you have angles, movement speed, turning, where you hit, held attack or not, factors YOU decide as a player. It does however seem you have something against anything skill related, but everyone is entitled to their opinions. Your "You just got served" line made me laugh though, honestly. I for one try to keep a discussion civil, but it seem you resort to insults at the first sign of disagreement.

yep, its called improvising, it makes things alot more entertaining than sitting there dueling for 5 minutes. So unless you're going to add a weapon health & armor system, you need a system to break the stalemate of invincible weapons

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 30, 2012, 09:01:09 pm »
+4
Yep, which is why you see them broadcast all the time and they get such good ratings.

You are right, if the devs add your suggestion, ESPN will be broadcasting strat battles tomorrow.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #268 on: July 30, 2012, 09:46:51 pm »
Wrong.  Low % chance events add a unpredictable gameplay element that means players have to adapt and think on their feet.
How are you supposed to "adapt" to a random block not working, precisely?

As for the current system of the random damage variable of armor giving 50% to 100% effectiveness, that too is a bad mechanic imo.

If you are randomly disarmed, there is no improvising. Eve if you had a backup weapon, you will die 100% of the time due to the opponent spamming you to death before the painfully slow equip animation goes into play.

EDIT: I also want to point out that people were not as disarmed on the battlefield as Hollywood likes to pretend: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanyard
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #269 on: July 30, 2012, 11:09:29 pm »
+1
I think some randomness is good.  The game is not complex enough on its own to have NO randomness.

For example, armor absorb or knockdown.  Its good to have some variability here.  If  a player has stats such as "balance" and "resilience" and those scores were checked against a knockdown weapon's "angle of attack" and "damage" in order to determine if a knockdown was successful,....that's great.  But we don't have all that stuff so a random chance (influenced by certain stats) works great.

If NOTHING was random, it would just be min-maxing all day.  Life is random at times, and a game that stays interesting has to have some randomness too....in moderation though!

What I'm saying is, let's not be all like "random=no skill=sucks!"  It's not that simple. :)  It depends on what the random chance is and what it is influenced by.