Author Topic: Turning speed nerf effects 1h more than 2h/pole.  (Read 12722 times)

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
Re: Turning speed nerf effects 1h more than 2h/pole.
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2012, 06:32:20 pm »
cmp the soo promised better wpf curvE?

no becouse combat is becoming boring and boring and slower at every patch.         i play 1h since this mod got 20 ppl online, and never changed my class in what 2 years and half? 3?    ,   now   follow someone "agile" with 6+ athletics and make overhead is almost impossible,  withouth considering strange things like,  you do overhead, the target is there, you made the swing , but suddently you hit nothing and he hits you from flank,  than he appear near your flank.         there is a void of animation and comunications between client, target position and your swing.

As always, LOL at the engrish, but as usual, vicious is right.
I don't know enough

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2012, 06:34:10 pm »
+1
Fraps is a bitch, takes waaay too much power.

Well, duh, Fraps is so 2010!

(click to show/hide)

All the cool kids use PlayClaw now. Not only does it record amazingly better than horrible fraps, it also provides you with a ton of other excellent features such as an teamspeak overlay.
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2012, 06:48:51 pm »
Come play in eu1 and let me watch and learn from you ptx. I really feel like hitting the guy, but it just always goes "beyond". And he hits me just fine, ofc.
Not this weekend, sorry :)

I did some testing with the longspear and found that turning into your swings (which you can still do with the turn speed change) no longer makes it so you hit the sweet spot.I tested it on some 1 that was

mid range and i glanced 8 out of 10 hits with spinning, but a straght stab hit 10 out of 10. So the sweet spots have somehow been changed so that straight hits, actualy hit most of the time which is good.

However a straight hit still glances 100% of the time when some 1 is face hugging you. The only way to hit people that were so close to you before was to spin and hit the sweet spot but because thats been

removed its now near impossible to hit people that face hug you. Which has in fact made 1v1's alot harder imo. But hey the games not balanced around 1v1s so i dont really mind, just my observations so far =)
Dunno, i can hit people facehugging me just fine, by starting the attack facing just to their side and then turning it into them, which i find easier to do now than before.

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2012, 06:56:30 pm »
Not this weekend, sorry :)
Dunno, i can hit people facehugging me just fine, by starting the attack facing just to their side and then turning it into them, which i find easier to do now than before.

No problem, have a nice weekend.
I'll practice on Eu3 with friends, because it really annoys me currently. I even managed to teamkill a friendly when going for an overhead against one beyond him, first time it happen.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2563
  • Infamy: 2178
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2012, 08:10:41 pm »
+1
I've thought a bit about turning issue and came to conclusion that we should blame cmp for current state of melee combat.

Before "early active attacks", hiltslashing wasn't easy to pull of like it's now. Thanks to that change, in situation when I'm standing at enemies side, if he swing aiming at my teammate I'll be the one to take the hit. While that is realistic and makes sense it add a lot of randomness to melee combat.

Attacks being active so early in the animation is the reason why combat shifted from proper timing (both attacks and blocks) to what I call dancing which is nothing more than attempt to confsue the enemy, playing on lucky card that your hit will connect and deal damage. This style of fighting is something that abuse people who can't block held attacks very well.

While I like this slight turning nerf because it's realistic (although it's still possible to turn for 1080 degrees in less than a second) I think that you should first try to adjust your own invention, early active attacks in order to prevent cheesy way of fighting that's prevalent these days.

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2012, 08:17:07 pm »
I don't understand this. Does this have to deal with a new patch or something? I haven't noticed anything different than from like 3 or 4 days ago when I was playing Medieval 2. Then again, I've been playing on Community since NA 1 was down and everyone was in Community. I don't know if they're all patched.

And affects* Lolz...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 08:21:52 pm by Miley »

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2012, 08:19:31 pm »
+2
I've thought a bit about turning issue and came to conclusion that we should blame cmp for current state of melee combat.

Before "early active attacks", hiltslashing wasn't easy to pull of like it's now. Thanks to that change, in situation when I'm standing at enemies side, if he swing aiming at my teammate I'll be the one to take the hit. While that is realistic and makes sense it add a lot of randomness to melee combat.

Attacks being active so early in the animation is the reason why combat shifted from proper timing (both attacks and blocks) to what I call dancing which is nothing more than attempt to confsue the enemy, playing on lucky card that your hit will connect and deal damage. This style of fighting is something that abuse people who can't block held attacks very well.

While I like this slight turning nerf because it's realistic (although it's still possible to turn for 1080 degrees in less than a second) I think that you should first try to adjust your own invention, early active attacks in order to prevent cheesy way of fighting that's prevalent these days.

Your whole argument is invalid, because it's based on the assumption that the "early active attacks" change applies to enemies. It doesn't. It applies only to attacks on teammates and scenery.

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2012, 08:21:06 pm »
Unless I'm grossly misremembering things, earlier active attacks only affected swings vs teammates and (iirc) map props/hills. Swings versus opponents were unaffected.

The increase in community skill led to the tricks we see now. There are a large number of players who can block 1v1 without error for a long time. That is boring, and you don't want a long fight in battle anyways.

edit: Beaten.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 08:33:13 pm by Vodner »

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2795
  • Infamy: 80
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2012, 08:28:01 pm »
Your whole argument is invalid, because it's based on the assumption that the "early active attacks" change applies to enemies. It doesn't. It applies only to attacks on teammates and scenery.

Then, why it's possible to kill an enemy just like you kill your teammate with a flamberge overhead from behind?

Was it always like that?

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2012, 08:31:14 pm »
I think so? Don't recall changing anything that could affect that.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2012, 08:33:49 pm »
I think so? Don't recall changing anything that could affect that.

It's a lot more drastic&noticeable since one of the updates though.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2012, 08:35:33 pm »
What exactly are you talking about? Hitting enemies early in an animation?

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2012, 08:36:39 pm »
Getting killed/hit by, usually swords from behind via a side-slash/overhead. It's really frustrating.

Other weapons do it sometimes, but most often I see it happen with greatswords.. heh, what a surprise.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2012, 08:39:05 pm »
What exactly are you talking about? Hitting enemies early in an animation?

Pretty sure you increased damage on hitting enemies early in an animation. Which makes killing people behind a lot easier and hilt slashs/castor swings a lot easier because there is less chance that you will glance.

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2012, 08:40:17 pm »
+1
Pretty sure I didn't.