Author Topic: NA gets Patch  (Read 19526 times)

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
Re: NA gets Patch
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2012, 08:12:35 pm »
+4
I feel like downblocks should have to be timed so you to block within a 1/2 or 1/4 second of impact so polearms can still use feint stabs etc

It would also help 1h and 2h stabs and most lance thrust are blocked in that amount of time, because they are really easy to time
Requiring *all* blocks to be made within a 1/4 second time-frame is something that might actually add considerable depth to the game. There would need to be severe rebalancing done so that an opponent can't simply sit with a chambered sideswing held to your side, though.

A change like this - something that cranks up the learning curve of the game, and potentially adds a large amount of depth to the game - is an example of a good change.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2012, 08:15:22 pm »
+1
Give us old old crpg archery because that took skill!

(click to show/hide)
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2012, 08:16:50 pm »
Also, to everyone else saying this is ruining depth to the game, you can dodge stabs and overheads now, and stabbing is relegated to what it usually is in most melee centric games, range control.
And how!

Offline Hobb

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 96
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2012, 08:17:55 pm »
Not really a chamber, because it wuld be easier and not timed by wat weapon your using but if you do it two early it will fail

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2012, 08:20:22 pm »
+4
I feel like downblocks should have to be timed so you to block within a 1/2 or 1/4 second of impact so polearms can still use feint stabs etc

It would also help 1h and 2h stabs and most lance thrust are blocked in that amount of time, because they are really easy to time

Parry -> lower stun to blocker, higher stun to attacker
Block -> higher stun to blocker, lower stun to attacker

There was something similar to this in the Warband beta, but they removed it because people were shit at blocking and QQd.
Doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2012, 08:22:48 pm »
+3
Just tried it in the few minutes I have before I go back to work. Doesn't seem to be a big deal honestly.

You can still turn fast as hell before the attack is released. I have a feeling it's going to make footwork be even MORE important and will be more of a nerf to str builds than anything else. So far I'm happy with it, though I really have to test how it will effect 1h stabs before I say for sure.

One thing though, hoplites are REALLY going to need some kind of fix after this. Hoplites were bad enough before this change.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2012, 08:25:40 pm »
Maybe that could've been a viable alternative but I don't think it would've stopped the insta-shovel-stab with polearms like the awlpike. Malke was always ridiculous to watch fighting 3+ people when he would just backpedal, jump-back stab-twirl his pike into whoever first in line for his pike, then jump through the crowd and repeat. When I was playing earlier with my bamboo spear I didn't really notice too much of a difference but then again I do just hang behind someone with it and drop it when someone starts getting too close to me.
I also recall defeating Dasty easily simply by holding down block until someone else pasted him, silly stupid easy to counter, but what do I know.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Hobb

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 96
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2012, 08:28:11 pm »
Parry -> lower stun to blocker, higher stun to attacker
Block -> higher stun to blocker, lower stun to attacker

There was something similar to this in the Warband beta, but they removed it because people were shit at blocking and QQd.
Doesn't sound like a bad idea.

I mean the thing that comes to mind as the biggest problem is people afraid to block so they spam, but spam should be the easiest thing to parry

Also, this would bring more shielders which imo is good for the game. More teamwork and the natural counter to pew pew

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2012, 08:28:39 pm »
Dunno if they were catering to the "average" player but it doesn't seem like a lot of them understand the concept of down-blocking.
And how!

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2012, 08:29:20 pm »
I also recall defeating Dasty easily simply by holding down block until someone else pasted him, silly stupid easy to counter, but what do I know.

I am not sure I believe this, since I don't think I have ever seen you hold any block.

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2012, 08:32:29 pm »
I am not sure I believe this, since I don't think I have ever seen you hold any block.
Ask Dasty, he said "that was the most annoying thing anyone has ever done to me." I was wearing pilgrim diguise, 1hander using langes messier.
Alas nodachi
a tin can's hatchet.

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #101 on: June 21, 2012, 08:43:56 pm »
+1
Ask Dasty, he said "that was the most annoying thing anyone has ever done to me." I was wearing pilgrim diguise, 1hander using langes messier.

I was just joking around. Long spear users duel tactics are mostly just a gimmick. If you play patiently you will beat them. I would say what most people disliked about them was curving it around teammates and objects and the wiggle.

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2012, 08:47:09 pm »
I was just joking around. Long spear users duel tactics are mostly just a gimmick. If you play patiently you will beat them. I would say what most people disliked about them was curving it around teammates and objects and the wiggle.
Ah you hit the mark there, the pole going through obstacles to strike an enemy is sure to gain some rage.
Alas nodachi
a tin can's hatchet.

Offline Gafferjack

• Knight
  • Renown: 40
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2012, 08:51:38 pm »
Requiring *all* blocks to be made within a 1/4 second time-frame is something that might actually add considerable depth to the game. There would need to be severe rebalancing done so that an opponent can't simply sit with a chambered sideswing held to your side, though.

Aside from your given example of a guy holding an attack direction for a million years and microholds, this is pretty much the time that people already block in; otherwise they take the hit.

A change like this - something that cranks up the learning curve of the game, and potentially adds a large amount of depth to the game - is an example of a good change.

Remove manual blocking, shorten player-hit stun animation. Skill ceiling skyrockets, depth variable. Alternatively, you can add a 1/10 to 1/8 second manual block so 2-direction weapons aren't useless beyond highly coordinated teamplay. Shields could be 1/3 second, I guess.

Then again, my opinion is probably shit, so whatever.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #104 on: June 21, 2012, 08:52:16 pm »
wiggle.

Where's that drawing with the pike wiggle? I can't seem to be able to find that thread.
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".