Author Topic: NA gets Patch  (Read 19528 times)

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
Re: NA gets Patch
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2012, 07:45:46 pm »
Err? Now this is an example of a non sequitur. How realistic something is has nothing to do with how it affects the skill level of the game.
It doesn't matter whether or not it was intentional.

It looks bad. It doesn't feel like it was a fair kill when it happens to you, players don't like to feel cheated by the game mechanics.

Bunnyhopping in Quake 1, and strafejumping in Quake 2 & 3 weren't intentional, but they added an enormous amount of depth to the games, and they were better off for it. Those games would not have been nearly as skill based as they were without the advanced movement systems they (unintentionally) ended up with.

Skiing in Tribes is another example. Skiing added both an enormous amount of individual skill to the game, and it increased the tactical depth as well.

So what does the lolstab and dragged-overheads (or whatever you call them) add to this game?
Why can't we come up with some mechanics that add to the complexity of the game without stepping outside of reality in an otherwise fairly realistic melee combat simulator?
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline dreadnok

• Marshall
  • Renown: 838
  • Infamy: 562
  • cRPG Player
  • fuck these jerkoff kids
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KBW<MB<SoW
  • Game nicks: Gorp_The_Gorger
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2012, 07:45:55 pm »
One of the problems with looking for reality in this game is that it is limited by mechanics. In reality you don't have 4 attack and block directions, and there is more depth to combat. The way I look at it, these tricks are a way to emulate real life combat.

ya by impossible physics makes sense.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2012, 07:46:21 pm »
What I see with this patch is the game being made more easy for newer players, and more boring at higher levels of play.

Wouldn't it be harder for people to be good at poles?

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2012, 07:46:31 pm »
You can actually more or less reliably dodge stabs and overheads now, I think I prefer that for a change of "depth" rather then someone smacking me with the flat of their blade from an overhead or whirl winding there weapon tip into me. Fighting those two directional pole-arms in a duel was ridiculous, if you wanted to swing your weapon around like that just pick one with four directions and make us, you more so, less dizzy once the fight is over.
You know what I would have prefered? I bet you might not care, that's ok, but I'll sum it up :

reduce lol stab - aka Hudson's poop and scoop, or the I DUB THEE DEAD, or whatever.

reduce the time stab is active. Not slow the turn radius while stabbing, and not limit the turn to whatever it is now.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline dreadnok

• Marshall
  • Renown: 838
  • Infamy: 562
  • cRPG Player
  • fuck these jerkoff kids
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KBW<MB<SoW
  • Game nicks: Gorp_The_Gorger
« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2012, 07:48:03 pm »
Try taking reading lessons, or attend Morons Anonymous.

naa your complaining makes 0 sense. any way you look at it. if your accustomed to winning by using dumb and cheap tactics thats your fault for relying on the shit for so long. naaaa mean??? hudson is good with any weapon by the way

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2012, 07:50:07 pm »
naa your complaining makes 0 sense. any way you look at it. if your accustomed to winning by using dumb and cheap tactics thats your fault for relying on the shit for so long. naaaa mean??? hudson is good with any weapon by the way
I'm sorry imbecile, but I am accustomed to winning by proper positioning and team play.
Go outside and play while the adults have a chat.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2012, 07:51:57 pm »
+8
Spinstab? SKILL!
Hiltslash? SKILL!
Jumpslash? SKILL!
Jumpshot? OMG RETARDED @#&*(#@ NERF!!!1!!1111
(click to show/hide)

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2012, 07:53:48 pm »
+2
So what does the lolstab and dragged-overheads (or whatever you call them) add to this game?
It forces you to consider more blocking directions when defending, it makes it somewhat more difficult to tell which direction to block, and it allows a player to threaten every enemy near him within stab distance (allowing a player to punish inexperience and carelessness).

Why can't we come up with some mechanics that add to the complexity of the game without stepping outside of reality in an otherwise fairly realistic melee combat simulator?
Primarily because adding deep new mechanics without access to the game source code is akin to building a sI love youcraper while looking though a microscope.

I'm all for changing melee if it increases the depth of the game. These changes don't do that - they only remove mechanics, decreasing the difference in effectiveness between a moderately experienced player and a very experienced one.

Combat should ideally be as deep as Starcraft II, or Street Fighter 2: Turbo, or other highly skill-based games. No matter how much you practice there should be limitless room to improve, and no matter how good you get there should almost always be players who can completely trash you.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 08:02:47 pm by Vodner »

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2012, 07:54:10 pm »
Jumpshot was even more stupidly retarded than any of the other things on your list, but I may be biased.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2716
  • Infamy: 252
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2012, 07:55:34 pm »
+1
Was?

Jumpshot is possible if you haven't noticed.

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2012, 07:56:19 pm »
Spinstab? SKILL!
Hiltslash? SKILL!
Jumpslash? SKILL!
Jumpshot? OMG RETARDED @#&*(#@ NERF!!!1!!1111
(click to show/hide)

More like melee FUNIST

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2012, 08:03:10 pm »
+1
It looks bad. It doesn't feel like it was a fair kill when it happens to you, players don't like to feel cheated by the game mechanics.

Well too bad. It *was* a fair kill, and anyone who has played this game long enough ought not to feel cheated because he ought to know how the game mechanics work at that point.

The lolstab and dragged-overheads add depth and complexity, that's what they add.

Also, who the hell is stopping you from coming up with "mechanics that add to the complexity of the game without stepping outside of reality in an otherwise fairly realistic melee combat simulator?" I most certainly am not, *provided* you don't remove everything that *adds* to the depth and complexity first and come up with stuff later. That's what's being done here. I didn't see anything that adds to depth and complexity being added in this patch; on the contrary it's been removed.

EDIT: Oh, Saul already posted. I forgot to check for new posts before I posted mine. :x
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 08:16:47 pm by TurmoilTom »

Offline Hobb

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 96
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2012, 08:05:10 pm »
+2
I feel like downblocks should have to be timed so you to block within a 1/2 or 1/4 second of impact so polearms can still use feint stabs etc

It would also help 1h and 2h stabs and most lance thrust are blocked in that amount of time, because they are really easy to time

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2012, 08:06:25 pm »
+2
I feel like downblocks should have to be timed so you to block within a 1/2 or 1/4 second of impact so polearms can still use feint stabs etc

It would also help 1h and 2h stabs and most lance thrust are blocked in that amount of time, because they are really easy to time

so like a chamber?

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2012, 08:09:08 pm »
You know what I would have prefered? I bet you might not care, that's ok, but I'll sum it up :

reduce lol stab - aka Hudson's poop and scoop, or the I DUB THEE DEAD, or whatever.

reduce the time stab is active. Not slow the turn radius while stabbing, and not limit the turn to whatever it is now.

Maybe that could've been a viable alternative but I don't think it would've stopped the insta-shovel-stab with polearms like the awlpike. Malke was always ridiculous to watch fighting 3+ people when he would just backpedal, jump-back stab-twirl his pike into whoever first in line for his pike, then jump through the crowd and repeat. When I was playing earlier with my bamboo spear I didn't really notice too much of a difference but then again I do just hang behind someone with it and drop it when someone starts getting too close to me.
And how!