Author Topic: Why was polestagger removed?  (Read 6836 times)

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
Re: Why was polestagger removed?
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2012, 03:06:08 am »
+1
Plz get this! Polestagger was op as fuck, one of the most op things ive ever seen in c-rpg. It was for sure the most op effect ive ever seen a weapon inflict. Thats why we got rid of it.

The game is more balanced than it has ever been. There is no need to add another effect to ''replace'' polestagger, polestagger was something which got removed because it was op. So it seems dumb to replace it with another effect, which might end up fucking the balance again.

Polearms does still have some stun, but its not ridicolous anymore. The 2h swords or 1h swords does not have a special effect at all, so why should polearm? Polearm alrdy has the biggest arteleri. Stopping horses, being able to have incredible reach and support options with spears/pikes. And they have waaay better weapons with bonus against shields. Ontop of that, they have decent stats. I dont see what u can really complain about, there is +'s and -'s to every weapon.

If u want another effect to the weapons, u should first of all be very careful. And u should probably not only add it to 1 weapon class, since that would probably fuck up the balance. So the effects should be more spread between the classes.

I get what you want to say, and basically I agree.

In fact the only reason why I limited my suggestion to polearms was, that I think polestagger can only be applied to polearms without bigger effort. Of course I would also like to see some kind of "hitstun" effect on other weapons which look cruel, but I think it would be difficult to implement it on 1hd or 2hd weapons. On the other hand, we have WSE  :mrgreen:

If you can apply polestagger to other weapons, I don't see a reason why you can't apply "can stop horses" to other weapons than polearms, too. Of course not every 2hd sword, in fact I would only give it to the Flamberge, but all in all I don't see a reason why you shouldn't mess around with weapon flags a bit.

All I want to say is:

If there are people who did not only know about polestagger, but balanced their build/fighting technique around it, I see no reason why you should not give them certain, carefully balanced weapons with this feature. I mean, knockdown works very similar, if you get hit you are stunned, too. So basically it is not OP. It was the mere fact that it was applied "randomly" to a certain weapon class without gameplay or balance justification.

Yes to more diversity concerning weapon flags!
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Baggy

• Count
  • Renown: 199
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player
  • Sup brah
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Baggy _Potato Blight_ Famine Emigration
  • IRC nick: Baggy
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2012, 03:07:32 am »
+1
Polestagger is gone, why would you want to bring it back?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2698
  • Infamy: 2806
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2012, 03:10:39 am »
Sing it back bring it back

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2012, 03:15:39 am »
Polestagger is gone, why would you want to bring it back?

For the sake of diversity and for those players who enjoy taking advantage from it.

Note: I am not one of those. I don't need or miss polestagger. But the idea of a weapon which causes bad hits and makes you bend in agony sounds fun to me  :mrgreen:

As I said, it's basically just a variation of knockdown.

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2012, 03:21:32 am »
Plz get this! Polestagger was op as fuck, one of the most op things ive ever seen in c-rpg. It was for sure the most op effect ive ever seen a weapon inflict. Thats why we got rid of it.

That's why we got rid of it?  Are you a game dev?

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2012, 03:28:18 am »
Fuck off about the gd DGS already.

Thoughtful contribution.  Keep up the good work.

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2012, 03:31:13 am »
god i open my mouth and Zisa pounces on me like a Lion on a Zebra O.O
He's always so insightful and literate isn't he?

Offline Sauce

• Duke
  • Renown: 597
  • Infamy: 83
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Remnants
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2012, 03:37:14 am »
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 07:52:57 pm by Sauce »

Offline Visconti

• Count
  • Renown: 278
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Velucan
  • Game nicks: Tristran_Steward_of_TKoV
« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2012, 04:04:28 am »
+1
I personally dont think polestagger should have been removed. Screwing with the games mechanics is just making combat more and more bland. Devs should quit trying to balance the game by nerfing everything, and focus on adding new game modes, fixing bugs, and retexturing some of the god awful armor that are from the first Mount and Blade. Game was balanced, or as close as it was gonna get, before this patch

Also, to the people QQing about how 2hs are OP, think about it. Polearm users are some of the most versatile in the game. They have the longest, best support weapon in the game (pikes), they can use the incredibly fast 2 directional lawlpikes, rear horses, most of the mid - high tier weapons get bonus against shields, and most of the high end weapons have viable secondary modes (poleaxes, bec). As a 2her, here are your option : Mauls (which polearms have as well), the short, unbalanced axes/maces, and then the greatswords/longswords. Not alot of versatility there. Of course there are the 2hs without a stab, but they are basically in the same category as the greatswords. Do you honestly expect, on top of being so versatile, for polearms to be as good as a 2h in a straight up 1v1? Thats basically the only perk 2hs have going for them.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 04:08:00 am by Visconti »
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2012, 04:08:30 am »
+1
I personally dont think polestagger should have been removed. Screwing with the games mechanics is just making combat more and more bland. Devs should quit trying to balance the game by nerfing everything, and focus on adding new game modes, fixing bugs, and re  texturing some of the god awful armor that are from the first Mount and Blade. Game was balanced, or as close as it was gonna get, before this patch

Also, to the people QQing about how 2hs are OP, think about it. Polearm users are some of the most versatile in the game. They have the longest, best support weapon in the game (pikes), they can use the incredibly fast 2 directional lawlpikes, rear horses, most of the mid - high tier weapons get bonus against shields, and most of the high end weapons have viable secondary modes (poleaxes, bec). As a 2her, here are your option : Mauls (which polearms have as well), the short, unbalanced axes/maces, and then the greatswords/longswords. Not alot of versatility there. Of course there are the 2hs without a stab, but they are basically in the same category as the greatswords. Do you honestly expect, on top of being so versatile, for polearms to be as good as a 2h in a straight up 1v1? Thats basically the only perk 2hs have going for them.

In the first paragraph you complain about polearms losing polestagger, in the second post you compare them to 2hd and find out they are superior?  :?  :?:

Offline Visconti

• Count
  • Renown: 278
  • Infamy: 52
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Velucan
  • Game nicks: Tristran_Steward_of_TKoV
« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2012, 04:17:10 am »
In the first paragraph you complain about polearms losing polestagger, in the second post you compare them to 2hd and find out they are superior?  :?  :?:

I never said they were superior, just trying to point out that with all the perks polearms have, theres no reason they should be as good as a 2h in melee, as so many people seem to want.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2012, 04:22:42 am »
+1
Mauls (which polearms have as well)

Comparing the likes of mallet and great maul to the long maul is quite ridiculous. 2H mauls are by far better than the long maul, but I guess that's balanced by the fact that poleaxes are quite a lot better than 2H axes.

are you trolling?

bill, bardiche, and german poleaxe are 3 of the most OP weapons in the game, all do way more damage than any 2 hander weapon does, most are longer, and have polestagger, balanced, rear horses, and bust shields (not the bill but it does massive pierce with the length of a pike basically, broken weapon)

no thanks

I don't agree with Joker's suggestion, polestagger was a joke on weapons that were fast enough to sneak in an extra hit for every successful stagger, and I'm happy to see it gone as a dedicated polearm player. However, calling German Poleaxe, English Bill and Great Long Bardiche 3 of the most OP weapons in the game, and calling Bill a broken weapon is a joke too. I think they're fine now that polestagger is gone, if anything the english bill is maybe a bit too bad now that the turning rate was limited too. Only the overhead is useful, pretty much. :?
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Vkvkvk

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2012, 04:27:15 am »
+1
I personally dont think polestagger should have been removed. Screwing with the games mechanics is just making combat more and more bland.

One thing you people have to understand is that not everyone has the same definition of combat becoming more and more bland, in continuation, the removal of polestagger could also be seen as making the combat less bland, people hiltslashing and spinning around and jumping everywhere like they have god damned spring shoes gives me brain cancer, it doesn't make me think the game is more interesting, I get nauseous from all the god damned spinning shit going around and I would much rather alt+f4 than have to deal with brain cancer to get a +1 to my kill count.

On to the polestagger itself, that technique adds ANYTHING but depth to the game, I don't see how getting an additional second hit, with no action on your part more than just hitting the guy to begin with,  adds any depth to the game.

If you mean in relation to support weapon, the only combat depth it add is free kills because the guy fighting against 4 guys just got polestaggered because some random guy that conveniently happened to had a long fucking weapon just stabbed through his physically unexistant teammates.

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2012, 04:55:13 am »
Thoughtful contribution.  Keep up the good work.
Fuck off about my contributions.

Long maul - one of the shittiest weapons in the game. Getting killed by it is a priviledge.

Polestagger - stupidest shit ever.

Whiffle build - polestagger someone all day with a kiting scythe.

Strength build - get that second (usually fatal) hit for free.

'balanced' build - see a and b above.

I feel dirty with polestagger still in. Please remove from NA 1.. NAOW. Or at least in a couple days when I need to level my pole alt again.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2012, 05:18:24 am »
  You, being a new player are actively seeking ways for the game to be made easier.  Veterans however, have put in the time and experience to advance their skill. The experience gap between you and a veteran does not justify a reason to change or "nerf" game mechanics. All you are supporting is a game that is decreasing the depth of it's battle system.

Again though, if polestagger or being stabbed because of the lack of experience blocking down are destroying crpg for you, you have bigger problems.

As if 3-4 months difference between forum register date makes you a "veteran" and me a "new player" right? lol. As for "seeking ways for the game to be made easier," surely the guy supporting features that helps him crutch-farm easy or gimmick kills is more applicable, is he not? I also like how personal your response is, are you frightened for the day these changes are implemented in NA?

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.