Author Topic: New Autoblock banwave incoming?  (Read 22370 times)

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
Re: New Autoblock banwave incoming?
« Reply #195 on: June 18, 2012, 09:04:45 pm »
+8
I'm pretty much shocked what kind of understanding of justice and punishment so many players seem have here. Fortunatly chadz&cmp aren't one of them.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 18, 2012, 09:05:41 pm »
+1
Exploiting ingame is also quite a visible offence. If people are doing something on their own server that results in silly amounts of gold/xp with no effort required well that could be punished quite severely when discovered. But on admined servers theres a finite limit to what you can do, and as long as it uses ingame exploits you can combat it. There is no limit to what you can do with executables and dodgy models though, and there is a very deliberate attempt to cheat when using third party stuff. To me there is a grey area with exploits, but its very clear cut when it comes to downloading a piece of software designed to make the game artificially easier for you.

It is also a big **** you to the other players that play fairly, and it sows doubt in people when they see naturally good players who put time into getting better at the game. I don't want it to be something on people's minds when they play, that someone may be cheating because its seen by devs as actually not as bad as leaching.
If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #197 on: June 18, 2012, 09:05:51 pm »
+2
I'm pretty much shocked what kind of understanding of justice and punishment so many players seem have here. Fortunatly chadz&cmp aren't one of them.

Hippy

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #198 on: June 18, 2012, 09:12:29 pm »
+1
You directed it at literally everyone posting in this thread that didn't agree with you. There are all flavours of cunts in cRPG, from the trolls to the rage tkers to the exploiters, and I enjoy seeing those get their comeuppance just as much. What's your point?

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #199 on: June 18, 2012, 09:14:58 pm »
+2
In terms of punishment I doubt anyone here really means the perma ban comments except when we're talking about auto-blockers, e.g. people using software to cheat.

Everything else depends on the actual offence and case.

Most games all ban software cheaters with no remorse, key ban for then to hardware ban people if they persist (or straight to hardware ban).
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 18, 2012, 09:18:21 pm »
+5
The hard part is catching someone. This is why its perma in any other game, most of the time its very hard to detect cheaters so any opportunity you get you perma their key or even Steam account for games that use the same game engine. Someone who downloads a piece of software hack just can't be trusted imo, they may do anything else you won't detect

Offline Baggy

• Count
  • Renown: 199
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player
  • Sup brah
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Baggy _Potato Blight_ Famine Emigration
  • IRC nick: Baggy
« Reply #201 on: June 18, 2012, 09:20:24 pm »
+2
No.

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #202 on: June 18, 2012, 09:20:32 pm »
+5
Lets ban macro users too?

Yes if they are using macros for attack patterns, then they should be banned, though not permanently, and a mechanic to block macros using attack patterns would be better.

Any sort of macro that automate attacks, e.g. moving in a specific direction while doing a swing or does 1-2-3 feints for then to release a random attack. All that should be bannable, of course.

Anything that automates the game in an unfair way should be locked, blocked and banned. That is common practice in any game with respect for it self, especially those which have competitive aspects to them.
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 18, 2012, 09:29:35 pm »
+2
If it is as easy to detect autoblockers as they make it seem there is no need to make examples of people, which the only reason permabanning cheaters could be desirable. I think everyone should get a second chance, after a short ban ofcourse. Most of the autoblockers will become law abiding players after that. I like how the devs handle autoblockers and I love the sweet, yumyum drama and discussions it causes.

Any repeat offenders should get an ingame stoning though. Wouldn't that be awesome? And very disturbing and ethically wrong at the same time! Win win situation am I right?

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 18, 2012, 09:32:25 pm »
+2
If it is as easy to detect autoblockers as they make it seem there is no need to make examples of people, which the only reason permabanning cheaters could be desirable. I think everyone should get a second chance, after a short ban ofcourse. Most of the autoblockers will become law abiding players after that. I like how the devs handle autoblockers and I love the seet, yumyum drama and discussions it causes.

Any repeat offenders should get an ingame stoning though. Wouldn't that be awesome? And very disturbing and ethically wrong at the same time! Win win situation am I right?

i'd love to have all autoblockers stacked as level 1 weaponless characters on the same team. on the other a fully equipped team of knights. Have a hunt like kings did when they hunted wild boars  8-)

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 18, 2012, 09:34:37 pm »
+2
I think everyone should get a second chance, after a short ban ofcourse.

So everyone should just cheat until they get their first warning? You don't give second chances for some things or you will just make it worse. People may end up feeling they need to use cheats to stay competitive, and would create a paranoid atmosphere on servers with people assuming people are cheating since they weren't warned yet

Also, it seems autoblock is the only cheat thats detectable. With this sort of attitude people might as well use other cheats..even if they do get caught for some strange reason, they could carry on playing anyway

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #206 on: June 18, 2012, 09:38:51 pm »
+1
Where is the tracer arrows mod?
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #207 on: June 18, 2012, 09:42:42 pm »
+2
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #208 on: June 18, 2012, 10:00:52 pm »
+5
So everyone should just cheat until they get their first warning?

Reading this I wonder if you're just speaking out of your ass without actually knowing our ban policies or what. The people we unbanned did not get a warning - they choose to stop using the cheat after a few hours/days, they never used it again and even then they have 1 (ONE) chance to be honest about it. That is the only possible situation where we unbanned someone.
Quit being internet tough guys because you're fucking obnoxious.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 18, 2012, 10:04:11 pm »
+1
I was responding to a specific point someone made, not about your current ban policy.

But yeah I'll step out of this conversation if you like