Author Topic: It will be a cold day in hell...  (Read 7663 times)

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
Re: It will be a cold day in hell...
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2012, 09:05:17 pm »
[...]

Yes, insulting and getting personal always helps. Great way of debating.  :|

Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2012, 09:10:58 pm »
In a free society we are burdened with the nessissary evil of having to tolerate the... darker... aspects of freedom such as bigotry and ignorance.  If we were to outlaw these things, we wouldn't exactly be a free society, and that shit would suck.

I think that condeming the aspects of society that limit someone's quality of life can only be a positive thing in the long run.

Offline TheFocusedOne

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2012, 09:21:01 pm »
I think that condeming the aspects of society that limit someone's quality of life can only be a positive thing in the long run.

Yes, exactly.  This type of philosophy is called 'utilitarianism'.

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2012, 09:24:19 pm »
+2
Yes, insulting and getting personal always helps. Great way of debating.  :|
~'Because you think this is the argument room, but this is abuse...'

The first paragraph was directed at you, but since you seem to be devoid of any type of humor chose instead to be insulted. Also you missed the point, or perhaps you recognize the 'ignore it till it goes away' action really is a shitty non action, and want to deflect the issue.

The second paragraph contains the word 'you' but is not directed at you but at those who keep chiming in about their right to spew. My apolgies for any clarity issues.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2012, 09:28:23 pm »
Yes, exactly.  This type of philosophy is called 'utilitarianism'.

Not exactely, we already know the path we'd take. In order to solve the problem of racism we can either educate racists(as its mostly done now), or we can start a global ethnical clensing. An utilitarianist wont care what way its done(like G. W. Bush), while Im suggesting the less suffering possible.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2012, 09:38:26 pm »
+1
~'Because you think this is the argument room, but this is abuse...'

The first paragraph was directed at you, but since you seem to be devoid of any type of humor chose instead to be insulted. Also you missed the point, or perhaps you recognize the 'ignore it till it goes away' action really is a shitty non action, and want to deflect the issue.

The second paragraph contains the word 'you' but is not directed at you but at those who keep chiming in about their right to spew. My apolgies for any clarity issues.

Well okay, in this case no apology needed  :mrgreen:

Look, actually I know what you mean. I don't want to read "burn all friends in gas chambers" in the chat too, that's disgusting. But always keep in mind WHY you would write that. Till now we have two motivations:

- Trolling
- Propaganda

I guess we only disagree about the relations. But never mind which relation it is, due to the "unsteady" nature of chat, disappearing after a few seconds ingame and a few minutes in the log, ingame chat is a very bad medium for spreading racist thoughts. And if you don't get any feedback at all, you will soon have the feeling of speaking only to yourself, and stop.

Okay, perhaps you shouldn't allow it, because a few scenarios came to my mind where it would really reach ugly extends, e.g. two racist finding each other on the servers. But in most cases just ignore it, don't pay it more attention than it deserves. The random black or jew joke shouldn't be commented at all, same as names like "sandfriend" "towelhead" "bimbo" or whatever. I think the only occasion where you should react is when someone really wants to start to argue about stuff. Either just mute him, or take screenshots and report him, but do NOT answer him, in any way, nor do something that harms yourself like teamkilling him. He will still be able to write to everyone who's dead, and next round he's back, with new motivation as he sees some reaction.

People do things only because they WANT something, it's one of the most basic rules of life. Just don't give those people what they want, it's the best you can do. Everything else would be a victory for them.

Edit: also keep in mind that an offended reaction towards something which wasn't really meant racistically could provoke that kind of: "Uh? What? You don't like it when I say friend? friend friend friend friend friend friend!"-reaction, making a drama where no drama was.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 09:41:38 pm by Joker86 »
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2012, 09:43:58 pm »
+1
http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,32513.0.html

And Zisa went and TKed him.

So, Now what makes you any different than the racist? If this was RL, you'd have been sent to prison for murder of the first degree.

Sigh this reminds me of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, the time you are on Manaan. The selkath: "Words can be ignored, but action will not" This was in terms to the fact that Sith were essentially doing much the same as people do with "racist" speech. The Soldiers of the republic had enough and attacked the sith. They got thrown into jail. Who's wrong there, the sith or the republic?(in terms of today) Both were.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 09:46:27 pm by Lt_Anders »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Cyber

• Count
  • Renown: 237
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Cyber
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2012, 09:49:15 pm »
+2
So you will TK someone who makes racist comments, that helps how...? I agree with Joker on the issue though don't really feel like getting into the discussion. Perhaps if you have no tolerance at all for racism, what about patriotism and nationalism for example, i would say the line between these is pretty blurry. Perhaps we should ban all the ppl who for example troll about how superior US or any other country is, enough people have been killed in the past for nationalism, sure they most likely mean no harm and it's just teasing to get a few ppl angry but it's most likely the same with most racist comments that you hear in cRPG.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 09:55:58 pm by Cyber »

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2012, 09:55:37 pm »
+2

So, Now what makes you any different than the racist? If this was RL, you'd have been sent to prison for murder of the first degree.

Sigh this reminds me of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, the time you are on Manaan. The selkath: "Words can be ignored, but action will not" This was in terms to the fact that Sith were essentially doing much the same as people do with "racist" speech. The Soldiers of the republic had enough and attacked the sith. They got thrown into jail. Who's wrong there, the sith or the republic?(in terms of today) Both were.

(click to show/hide)
Anders, you happily run to the ban forum any chance you get. Are you hoping for a gold star from the teacher?

The shit you are full of is so putrid it is not worth my time to try and wade through to find any sense. Go find someone else to make miserable you whiney rules lawyer. Go argue with shadows.
Alas nodachi
a tin can's hatchet.

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2012, 10:01:21 pm »
Anders, you happily run to the ban forum any chance you get. Are you hoping for a gold star from the teacher?

The shit you are full of is so putrid it is not worth my time to try and wade through to find any sense. Go find someone else to make miserable you whiney rules lawyer. Go argue with shadows.

Please state when My last ban request was for something?

I mean, If i do something, it's for a GOOD reason. If this guy bothers you that much, BAN REQUEST HIM. I mean,you have the SSes and the EVIDENCE FOR IT. Why not do something WITHIN the "law" rather than be the Judge, Jury and executioner yourself? I mean, is it really THAT hard to take the "Racist" thread picture and post it into the ban thread section? Or those SSes of the log you had?

Edit: Also, with that post, what makes YOU any different now than that racist idiot?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 10:20:30 pm by Lt_Anders »

Offline RandomOutsider

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2012, 10:01:48 pm »

I think there's a difference between hate speech/tking in game and hate speech/murder in real life. It's comparing apples and oranges.
Also it would most likely not be first degree homicide as it was not premeditated (at least in the US states).

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2012, 10:05:07 pm »
I think there's a difference between hate speech/tking in game and hate speech/murder in real life. It's comparing apples and oranges.
Also it would most likely not be first degree homicide as it was not premeditated (at least in the US states).

Very VERY true. But I was making a point that why would ZISA go and risk banning for breaking a rule and not post in the ban section themselves?

But rules are rules. Zisa got TKed and got banned for it. Least You could do is make a ban thread for the other guy for racism. Just look at Ylca, he's offended by it and he doesn't go off and TK people. He does things the proper way.

I can think of TONS of RL analogies, but no point. Just let this simmer down a bit.

EDIT: Phantoms Reply to Zisa was much the same as I said.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 10:07:31 pm by Lt_Anders »

Offline Fartface

• Earl
  • Renown: 476
  • Infamy: 288
  • cRPG Player
  • Centurii
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deathcore,Djentcore,Deathmetal,Brutal,Slam
  • Game nicks: Growling,Grunting,Screaming,Squeeling
  • IRC nick: Fuck I love it.
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2012, 10:14:01 pm »
BITCH BITCCH BITCCHHH BITCH BITCHHH BITCHHHH , that' how your motorcycle rolls 8-)

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2012, 10:30:31 pm »
+2

EDIT: Phantoms Reply to Zisa was much the same as I said.
Phantom's reply, I am sorry to say, went something like this...
saw 'bundle of sticks' out of the corner of his eye, but did not actually read this :

The threat of silliness should be present in all
things. Otherwise we get a swarm of toughguys yelling
bundle of sticks at the cRPG/Internet population

Then did not actually read my post. It's a shame because he seems to have seen one word, focused on it and colored any view of anything else I read, and erroneously thinks he knows where I am coming from.
Alas nodachi
a tin can's hatchet.

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2012, 10:34:26 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Maybe about the bundle of sticks stuff, but not the TKing part. You were warned once not to do it and you committed it twice. Tking in spawn twice in a row.