Author Topic: It will be a cold day in hell...  (Read 7935 times)

Offline Swaggart

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: It will be a cold day in hell...
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 06:10:25 pm »
+3
It's funny how people want to ignore racism. Sure, this is a video game and all and over the internet to boot, and I largely agree that people should have thicker skin online. However, at the same time I can't agree with letting racism slide simply on that basis alone. Ignoring racism leads to accepting racism, and once its accepted it takes all kinds of effort to get rid of it. Besides, I thought this was the 21st century and we moved on from acting like attention starved shitheads.

And if it DOES lead to harm, it's still irrelevant, because the harm is the bad thing, not the motivation.

Really, motivation is not important? Perhaps you should ask some police investigators. Motive is just as important as the action because it explains the person's state of mind and is the difference between a murder one or a murder two charge. Simply because you think its irrelevant doesn't mean that you're horribly wrong.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 06:19:27 pm »
+1
Really, motivation is not important? Perhaps you should ask some police investigators. Motive is just as important as the action because it explains the person's state of mind and is the difference between a murder one or a murder two charge. Simply because you think its irrelevant doesn't mean that you're horribly wrong.

Of course there are differences, no question. If you shoot somebody because he was raping a woman or because he entered your lawn or because he was black is definitely three different things. But it doesn't change much about the question if you should do it or not. It's only about "was it wrong?" or "was it VERY wrong?". In the end something wrong's done, and this is what must not happen. Spamming the chat is not really something wrong done, especially if you take a look at the community, it's full of trolls anyway.

I wonder why people think "trolling is funny", but if someone decides to troll do-gooders with things like "Why do Jews have such big noses? - Because air is for free!" then they go nuts and say "You can't say that OMG". Things like these are 99% trolling and 1% racism, if at all. Use your brain, goddammit!
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Lech

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 06:21:12 pm »
It's funny how people want to ignore racism. Sure, this is a video game and all and over the internet to boot, and I largely agree that people should have thicker skin online. However, at the same time I can't agree with letting racism slide simply on that basis alone. Ignoring racism leads to accepting racism, and once its accepted it takes all kinds of effort to get rid of it. Besides, I thought this was the 21st century and we moved on from acting like attention starved shitheads.

Letting racism slide leads to tolerating racism. And there is nothing wrong with it, it's not like someone force you to become racist and consider racism good - you can freely consider it hell on earth. It's not like racists are more likely to harm someone physically than non-racists.

You know that american law is not international law and shouldn't be taken as gossip ?

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 06:22:48 pm »
+1
Of course there are differences, no question. If you shoot somebody because he was raping a woman or because he entered your lawn or because he was black is definitely three different things. But it doesn't change much about the question if you should do it or not. It's only about "was it wrong?" or "was it VERY wrong?". In the end something wrong's done, and this is what must not happen. Spamming the chat is not really something wrong done, especially if you take a look at the community, it's full of trolls anyway.

I wonder why people think "trolling is funny", but if someone decides to troll do-gooders with things like "Why do Jews have such big noses? - Because air is for free!" then they go nuts and say "You can't say that OMG". Things like these are 99% trolling and 1% racism, if at all. Use your brain, goddammit!

That's a racist joke, jews will generaly get offended by it. It's pretty simply.

Offline Adamar

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 06:24:17 pm »
+1
Letting racism slide leads to tolerating racism. And there is nothing wrong with it, it's not like someone force you to become racist and consider racism good - you can freely consider it hell on earth. It's not like racists are more likely to harm someone physically than non-racists.

You know that american law is not international law and shouldn't be taken as gossip ?

Racism is just one extra motivation for violence and overall contempt. Why are we even discussing this? Xenophobia is wrong!

Offline Lech

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 06:31:46 pm »
Racism is just one extra motivation for violence and overall contempt. Why are we even discussing this? Xenophobia is wrong!

There are already too many excuses for violence, if someone want to do, he will find another one.

What is wrong with xenophobia ? What is wrong with mistrust toward people from different area ? It was there, is there and will be there. Only naive persons don't use limited trust.

Offline Murmillus_Prime

• Earl
  • Renown: 424
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player
  • Dying is gay.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Murmillus_Prime
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 06:34:13 pm »
Racism?
Dumbfuck.Fuckwit.Cuntshit.Brickfuck.

Offline Swaggart

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2012, 06:35:19 pm »
+2

Wow, I'd love to know from which orifice you pulled this out of. All of the various black people that were lynched in the southern US simply because they were black, or the Jews killed simply because they were Jewish, or any other incidents that I haven't mentioned would not have happened if they were not the victims of racism. I wonder if Breivik's racist views on immigrants were a motivation for massacring all those people in Norway.. oh wait they were. Racism gives many people a pretext and justification for violence and this is the very reason why it shouldn't be tolerated

I'm not American. Establishing motive is a practice in both common and civil law.

However, as I was just reminded, I'm arguing on the internet, so I'm gonna go register for the special olympics.

Offline Adamar

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2012, 06:38:57 pm »
There are already too many excuses for violence, if someone want to do, he will find another one.

What is wrong with xenophobia ? What is wrong with mistrust toward people from different area ? It was there, is there and will be there. Only naive persons don't use limited trust.

It promotes violence and death.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2012, 06:45:26 pm »
+1
That's a racist joke, jews will generaly get offended by it. It's pretty simply.

Every joke which is on the cost of someone can offend him.

So other people can't be offended by other jokes? Like "A woman crosses the street. A man in a car sees her, steps on the gas and overruns her. Whose fault is it? - The woman's! Why did she leave her kitchen?". Shouldn't women be offended by this? Or the "Your mama..." jokes. "Your mama is so fat, when she puts on a yellow raincoat people start to shout 'Hello! Taxi!'." Should people with fat mamas or the fat mamas themselves be offended? And there are so many jokes about certain professions, from lawyers to politicians, computer scientists and whatnot. And most of them are considered "acceptable". But when someone comes and makes a joke about the noses of a certain folk, people suddenly get offended. I guess it's because they learned that now it's time to get offended.

Why? Why is xenophobia wrong? Why can't I stay among my people, if I prefer them over foreign people? Am I not allowed to choose who I like and who I don't like?

Contempting black people is wrong, but contempting contempters is right? Shouldn't your point be that contemption itself is wrong? If you decide to argue that way?

Wow, I'd love to know from which orifice you pulled this out of. All of the various black people that were lynched in the southern US simply because they were black, or the Jews killed simply because they were Jewish, or any other incidents that I haven't mentioned would not have happened if they were not the victims of racism. I wonder if Breivik's racist views on immigrants were a motivation for massacring all those people in Norway.. oh wait they were. Racism gives many people a pretext and justification for violence and this is the very reason why it shouldn't be tolerated

Well, although you are not completely wrong ofc, especially about the blacks and jews, I think the case of Breivik is rather special, because it can be that he is not one of those cases who becomes violent because he is racist, they rather become racists because they are violent.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2012, 06:49:21 pm »
It promotes violence and death.

There is a huge gap between disliking certain people and harming them.

By the way different extends of wealth also promote crime => violence and death. The higher the differences in one society, the more crime there is, just take a look at South Africa, for example. Should being rich/poor get forbidden? Everyone is only allowed to earn the same salary, and if someone has great luck or bad luck the money is being taken away/refunded?

I still say you can't remove the right to dislike things.

Offline Adamar

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2012, 07:00:29 pm »
So other people can't be offended by other jokes? Like "A woman crosses the street. A man in a car sees her, steps on the gas and overruns her. Whose fault is it? - The woman's! Why did she leave her kitchen?". Shouldn't women be offended by this? Or the "Your mama..." jokes. "Your mama is so fat, when she puts on a yellow raincoat people start to shout 'Hello! Taxi!'." Should people with fat mamas or the fat mamas themselves be offended? And there are so many jokes about certain professions, from lawyers to politicians, computer scientists and whatnot. And most of them are considered "acceptable". But when someone comes and makes a joke about the noses of a certain folk, people suddenly get offended. I guess it's because they learned that now it's time to get offended.

If it promotes oppression then it's wrong.

Why? Why is xenophobia wrong? Why can't I stay among my people, if I prefer them over foreign people? Am I not allowed to choose who I like and who I don't like?

Contempting black people is wrong, but contempting contempters is right? Shouldn't your point be that contemption itself is wrong? If you decide to argue that way?

Contempt is wrong if it produces a negative result, as is the case with people being mistreated because of xenophobia. Feeling contemp for xenophobes is obviously a good thing for society.

There is a huge gap between disliking certain people and harming them.

By the way different extends of wealth also promote crime => violence and death. The higher the differences in one society, the more crime there is, just take a look at South Africa, for example. Should being rich/poor get forbidden? Everyone is only allowed to earn the same salary, and if someone has great luck or bad luck the money is being taken away/refunded?

I still say you can't remove the right to dislike things.

You can like whatever you want, but you can't treat people in a lesser way because of the way they look, that's the point of tolerance. Economics is a different matter, no need to shift the subject.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 07:04:56 pm by Adamar »

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2012, 07:07:23 pm »
Contempt is wrong if it produces a negative result, as is the case with people being mistreated because of xenophobia. Feeling contemp for xenophobes is obviously a good thing for society.

I think I need to clarify things: I am always talking about racists saying their opinion. I am NOT talking about racists who decide to "do something about it". I think you should be allowed to say "I don't like black people" as much as you are allowed to say "I don't like strawberries with cream." I do not say it is okay to express this animosity in means of mistreatment or even violence. But whenever you have the choice which is basing on your PERSONAL PREFERENCES, like who you want to let in your hobby club, which of your working mates is invited to barbecue on the weekend, and which of the two apprentices you will accept to work in your (!) bakery, you shouldn't only be allowed to do so (as you indeed are), you shouldn't also not be treated like a criminal for doing so. Of course you are free to being disliked, that's the right I am defending, but your way of judging shouldn't be more or less "forbidden". Less popular okay, unacceptable no.

You can like whatever you want, but you can't treat people in a lesser way because of the way they look, that's the point of tolerance. Economics is a different matter, no need to shift the subject.

Why is economics different? Your argumentation was that racism needs to be removed as it is a source for violence. I told you another source of violence, so it needs to be removed as well.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 07:14:15 pm by Joker86 »

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2012, 07:17:10 pm »
+2
A small sample from 15/05/2012 11:49am to 1:03pm GMT-5

(click to show/hide)

I do not expect anyone to have to manually wade through chat logs. It would be simple to write a search proggy though.
Search by:
character name
date
keywords

Could probably do it with notepad++ or even VC++ without bothering to write the code just 'search'.

Look for :
Whiskey
Sir Donkey
BlindPew - likes to quote Sir Donkey as a reliable source, visits pseudo science websites and thinks he will find truth there.

all times mentioned my time, GMT -5

21/05/ 1:42 am (GMT- 5)
Recruiter - name should be a clue. Probably wears a pointy white dunce cap.

21/05 10:17 pm
Raziel1

23/05 12:54 am
Zol - try not to be a douche.

24/05 12:18 am
Takeda - mild vs whiteys. Just here as an example of what is probably within acceptable limits.

24/05 7:09 pm
Ugdalf very poor taste. Misogynist and racist all in one.

24/05 11:48pm
BigUncleRuckus - baby's first keyboard. Sadly, baby lives amongst twisted parents- GIGO.

25/05 1:07pm
Braun  - here he is again, spouting the same type of shit Sir_Donkey started and quoting it like it is some sort of wellspring of knowledge. If you have not figured out this guy has an agenda you may as well call yourself an appeaser.
Go on, ask him about DNA and other fun 'facts' this acclaimed researcher has gathered.
This guy could be a hateful imam spewing shite into young arab minds, or some 'pastor' doing god's work by holding placards proclaiming that the gay soldier is going to burn in hell, or some other fucking waste of a life we have on this planet who will undoubtedly leave nothing but a stink when he passes. Only the variables are different, not the formula.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Werfried

• Knight
  • Renown: 56
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
  • Goat bless my peasants!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Werfrieds Peasant Battalion
  • Game nicks: Werfried
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2012, 07:20:19 pm »
+1
ImO politics and especially racism dont belong in this game. Its a game where EVERYBODY should have fun and should not get insulted.
Today some guys wrote about somalian people, that they steal and dont work and such xenophobic bullshit.

I mean, i dont care if someone writes niggah once or something, but i get pissed off when some guys think they have to spread hate on the servers over and over again.
There are enough hatesites in the internet, you can go there and post shit and let off the steam.
Dont pollute crpg with this crap :evil: