Author Topic: It will be a cold day in hell...  (Read 7662 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: It will be a cold day in hell...
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2012, 10:37:23 pm »
Christo help me they are doing it more than once a day now !!!!!

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm going to need you playing at 6AM on Saturday..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: POSTMASTER_PHANTOM0_OF_BIRD
  • IRC nick: PhantomZero
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2012, 01:19:12 am »
+3
Phantom's reply, I am sorry to say, went something like this...
saw 'bundle of sticks' out of the corner of his eye, but did not actually read this :

The threat of silliness should be present in all
things. Otherwise we get a swarm of toughguys yelling
bundle of sticks at the cRPG/Internet population

Then did not actually read my post. It's a shame because he seems to have seen one word, focused on it and colored any view of anything else I read, and erroneously thinks he knows where I am coming from.

I didn't read your post because none of it matters, the issue of race has nothing to do with why you got banned. If you are going to intentionally TK someone every time they spawn when they say something you don't like you will then be banned, no matter what they say or who they are.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1338
  • Infamy: 541
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2012, 01:52:26 am »
+3
Since the other thread got locked, I'll put it here.

For me, this is a pretty serious issue. I'm talking about discrimination. I'm not sure how can we successfully deal with it.

General rule against it won't work because it's hard to tell (for most admins) when it's trolling and when it's racism or hate speech. Also, I'm sure that we have admins who approve various forms of discimination.

We have a lot of younger people in this community, many of them aren't educated in a way to think with their own heads. As long as there are people who don't think on their own, there will be racism and discrimination. Only way to fight it is education but we're here to play a game and have fun, not to educate people.

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2012, 02:04:13 am »
+1
So kick or ban them. Time out is an efficient way to make kids think on what they did wrong, while the rest of us can resume the fun. At first I assumed that this sort of regulation was already in practice here, as it seems to work in other comunities. The devs need only take the next step and make this sort of thing punishable.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 02:05:17 am by Adamar »

Offline RandomOutsider

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2012, 02:13:57 am »
Since the other thread got locked, I'll put it here.

For me, this is a pretty serious issue. I'm talking about discrimination. I'm not sure how can we successfully deal with it.

General rule against it won't work because it's hard to tell (for most admins) when it's trolling and when it's racism or hate speech. Also, I'm sure that we have admins who approve various forms of discimination.

We have a lot of younger people in this community, many of them aren't educated in a way to think with their own heads. As long as there are people who don't think on their own, there will be racism and discrimination. Only way to fight it is education but we're here to play a game and have fun, not to educate people.

Sorry Leshma, I hate locking a topic but it looked like it was devolving.
What I had hoped to get out of it was an awareness of the issue; I don't want someone to be banned for their speech. Hopefully the admins will be more diligent when this issue pops up in-game again.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2012, 02:34:37 am »
+5
So you will TK someone who makes racist comments, that helps how...? I agree with Joker on the issue though don't really feel like getting into the discussion. Perhaps if you have no tolerance at all for racism, what about patriotism and nationalism for example, i would say the line between these is pretty blurry. Perhaps we should ban all the ppl who for example troll about how superior US or any other country is, enough people have been killed in the past for nationalism, sure they most likely mean no harm and it's just teasing to get a few ppl angry but it's most likely the same with most racist comments that you hear in cRPG.

Bad example. I have had this debate with my girlfriend many times (me being white British, and she is Indian with a UK passport but has lived in India for the majority of her life). Race is something you are born with. It cannot be changed. Nationality can and often is frequently. They are completely different things and the lines aren't blurry at all...they are pretty damn clear.

Regardless, I'm someone who has the cynical view that everyone is born inherently racist. However, it was only after having many debates and discussions with my girlfriend that I realised that acts of racism really do encompass our every day lives. It can be something as simple as a dismissive comment to a random black customer whilst paying full attention to a white customer in a supermarket. It may not occur to you at the time because it is subconscious but it will make that person feel like shit. It is only awareness that will ever make a difference and for the majority, they won't ever be different in the way they act for other races. I however, try to make a concious effort not to be quite so bad with it.

But blatant racism is an issue that can't be ignored. I personally believe that anyone spouting racist comments in game should be instantly banned, regardless of trolling or what not. It's hateful and cannot be taken as a joke. If Zisa tked because of it, then that was wrong and Zisa should have just reported them. But anti-racism in game chat is something that should be enforced, regardless of whether this is the internets or not.

The guy claiming that black in spanishes are missing the 5% Neandertal DNA, in which point is he different than the guy claiming that a Katana is better than a Longsword?

You serious?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 02:38:41 am by Overdriven »

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2012, 02:37:41 am »
Christo help me they are doing it more than once a day now !!!!!

Holy crap.

:/

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2012, 04:36:31 am »
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Goretooth

• Duke
  • Renown: 634
  • Infamy: 237
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2012, 11:46:47 am »

Braeden - Clanless maybe? or Free Peasant not sure - Rarely plays, plus might be retarded
Tydeus - Nord EU Scum - Hates adminning

Offline STOPHammerTime

• Baron
  • Renown: 105
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
  • Cant touch this
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2012, 12:00:08 pm »
+3
The guy claiming that black in spanishes are missing the 5% Neandertal DNA, in which point is he different than the guy claiming that a Katana is better than a Longsword?

If you cannot tell the difference between a comparison of two objects and a racist comment about an actual Person, then I for one am thankful people like you spend most of their time indoors and away from society.

You bring nothing positive to any game server except making a nice easy target for cav and archers.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2012, 02:23:30 pm »
You guys just don't understand that it doesn't (shouldn't) make any difference for other persons, all he tries is either to upset you, or to involve you in a discussion. By writing the line no black man is being harmed (unless he allows himself to get offended). The only thing which can be different is that someone believes this, but this is a game and not an education program. You can tell people any kind of shit, and if they are stupid enough they will believe it, and there are 1000 things which could also lead to harm of others (how to make your own drugs, ghost driving is fun and easy, women like it a bit when being opressed and so on...). Stop trying to protect stupid people of other stupid people - you can't.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2012, 03:01:02 pm »
+2
"It was very simple, and at the end of that moving appeal to every altruistic sentiment it blazed at you, luminous and terrifying, like a flash of lightning in a serene sky: 'Exterminate all the brutes!'".
And how!

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2012, 03:07:47 pm »
"It was very simple, and at the end of that moving appeal to every altruistic sentiment it blazed at you, luminous and terrifying, like a flash of lightning in a serene sky: 'Exterminate all the brutes!'".

From where is this from ?  :D

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2012, 03:13:27 pm »
+1
And how!

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2012, 04:31:58 pm »
+1
On one hand, I kind of like it when a few people that are Very Pround of Their Country start going back and forth on EU.It always ends with lots of angry words in at least 3 languages flying by in the chat box faster than you can read. It's one of those things that will always be distinctly CRPG to me...

On the other hand, when it's a single person spouting racist things and saying "I'm not racist, I am just saying statistics" for half an hour I just kind of  :?

I have a coworker that says things like that sometimes, and he is a grown man literally afraid of being near black people. I don't care if you are doing it as a "joke" because it isn't funny. You can say it's not funny because it isn't supposed to be, it's trolling! It doesn't matter if you are actually a bigot, pretending to be a bigot, or ironically endorsing being a bigot. It is unfunny drivel that everyone has heard a million times.

TL;DR I agree with OP. Braun is a turd.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far