Author Topic: cRPG Nations Cup Rule discussions  (Read 19576 times)

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
Re: cRPG Nations Cup Rule discussions
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2012, 02:58:42 pm »
+1
A tournament is intended to showcase skill on an even playing field, correct? Why on earth wouldn't you limit to STF characters? Everyone starts from the same level playing field with the same amount of skillpoints and can buy the same base gear. No one has any sort of loom advantage or disadvantage.

Is this intended to be a sportsmanlike competition or an exhibition to show off shiny toys and grind time?

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2012, 03:05:04 pm »
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline MrExxc

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • Don't pronounce it "EKsKsSee", just "X"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Exxc, Poussiere_Supreme
  • IRC nick: Exxc
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2012, 03:06:01 pm »
+1
Tbh, I'm not afraid of a full plated guy with heirlooms and shit. If he's shit, it doesn't matter, I'll kill him.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2012, 03:54:33 pm »
Tbh, I'm not afraid of a full plated guy with heirlooms and shit. If he's shit, it doesn't matter, I'll kill him.
This is a nations cup, where the teams will consist of a selection of players from the same country, there will barely be any shit players.

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2012, 04:04:28 pm »
I favour using the STF route now, simply because of the options it allows.  To make it work you could do the following

1)  Instead of Class Restrictions within a round go for class restriction within a squad.  Each team is being asked to register 16 players so make them register no more than 4 ranged and 4 Cav.  Within an actual round they can use which ever players they want.

2)  When a team Registers they must assign each of their players a squad number and that player must then create a STF Char using that squad number.  For instance if I was registered with squad number 9 I would have to use the STF name of UK_Tomas_9 and I would be registered as ranged

3)  Each team then gets to design its own banner which will be put in a special Nations Cup Banner Pack

4)  Within the tournament all players must use one of the Heraldic Armours (but not transitional).  Archers are the only exception and they can simply choose something that matches as best as possible

5)  Before each match, the referees can quickly check that each STF Char has the correct name as registered and that they are the correct class.  A quick glance will ensure that the armour is all correct.

6)  Finally, to ensure that all chars are in fact STF I am hoping the Meow will do us a favour and validate all the chars at the start and then at the end.  I am assuming that a simple query on the database will be able to bring up all players with the UK_ tag and that you can see if they are STF and when they were created.  If so then this validation should be extremely easy.

The system above prevents looms, keeps armour at a level where unloomed bows will still be viable, is easy to enforce and still allows plenty of tactics within a team.

Edit: I'm still not against mains though - i'm just pointing out options :D

Seems that everything except 4 makes sense.
Mods compatible with cRPG. New crosshairs, textures, sounds, yay.

Offline BlameMeForTheNoise

• Count
  • Renown: 189
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Varangian Guards
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Sonjarr
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2012, 04:15:37 pm »
+2
Almost all normal clanbattles are fought with the normal maincharacters and looms. There were class-restrictions  though (only 3 cavs, only 2 tincans etc).

I say lets do it the same here... And why not? If its okay for battles, its okay for the Cup. Where is the cRPG (consistent role playing game) else? This is after all not native.

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2012, 04:53:49 pm »
Almost all normal clanbattles are fought with the normal maincharacters and looms. There were class-restrictions  though (only 3 cavs, only 2 tincans etc).

I say lets do it the same here... And why not? If its okay for battles, its okay for the Cup. Where is the cRPG (consistent role playing game) else? This is after all not native.

If one can't fight without looms and extra levels one isn't worthy of being in a competition at all. If one can, then what is the problem with the STF restriction?

Offline MrExxc

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • Don't pronounce it "EKsKsSee", just "X"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Exxc, Poussiere_Supreme
  • IRC nick: Exxc
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2012, 05:29:59 pm »
Well it just doesn't feel like your playing with your Roleplay char.

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2012, 05:39:43 pm »
+1
If one can't fight without looms and extra levels one isn't worthy of being in a competition at all. If one can, then what is the problem with the STF restriction?
Do you REALLY think it's about that ?

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2012, 05:58:53 pm »
+2
when i came with this idea, i imagined countries beeing represented by the player we see everyday on the battlefield, that we are all impressed by.

and the armor thing is bad, you seem to take in account only archers and infantry. i would like to recall their are also hybrid thrower's that have armor wpf restrictions a bit more tricky then that

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2012, 06:52:49 pm »
+1
Do you REALLY think it's about that ?

As i've said before, a competition is only worthwhile if the playing field is equal. I'm not sure why looms would even be considered remotely valid in a tournament setting.

Offline BlameMeForTheNoise

• Count
  • Renown: 189
  • Infamy: 21
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Varangian Guards
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Sonjarr
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2012, 08:10:31 pm »
+1
Because they were the norm in every battle until now. Every clanbattle and (as far as i know) in every tournaments till now too...
They are a large part of what makes people and their chars individual...

Offline Stabby_Dave

• Count
  • Renown: 197
  • Infamy: 34
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Stabby_Dave, Squelch, Dave_The_Longbowman, Faggy_Dave
  • IRC nick: Stabby
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2012, 08:18:45 pm »
+8
If we were to all use STF chars, then why not just play in native and called the Native Cup V2.0?

CRPG Nations Cup should be about CRPG players using their CRPG main chars.

Yes, some people will have more looms or higher levels than others, but I doubt there would be any 1 nation that had such an advantage in this regard that it changed the outcome of the tournament at all.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2012, 10:02:13 pm »
Well, STF chars does not limit the diversity we can have in the game. It just limits players levels. That's where it is difference than a native cup.

-Well either what will be the rule, I suggest deciding it a bit quickly. In either case, people will show their respect and will be eager to play. Decide it quickly so that people can choose their teams more effectively at the moment, including their captains and the preperation stage will be lasting shorter. We should know, so we all can be prepared. If it's STF, the teams would be made of good players; if it's main chars, the teams would be made of high leveled-good players with a captain preferably as a cavalry class. Also, class restrictions; if any; will be taken into account as well in the latter.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 10:04:00 pm by Ronin »
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2012, 10:32:36 pm »
+1
The spirit of cRPG at its core is that people choose how they play. Some wear plate, some have looms, some have levels, some have awesome hairstyles. The spirit of cRPG should be intact in the tournament.