Author Topic: increase kick risk  (Read 13391 times)

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
Re: increase kick risk
« Reply #90 on: April 19, 2012, 09:09:01 pm »
badumtss

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2012, 02:44:28 am »
thats the complete opposite of what I'm experiencing at the moment. I'm using a MW Langes with 5 ps and I have yet to glance with a stab

I ram my MW shortsword up to the hilt into plate armour all the time, but I have to step back and then lunge as they charge in with their swing. All 1handers glance a LOT, with any PS, if you dont set yourself and your enemy up just right. And when you do, if they are smart: your gonna stab them but your gonna catch a foot in the face at the same time.
I don't know enough

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline EyeBeat

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 175
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 20th BEST PLAYER IN HOSPITALLER
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: EyeBeat_The_Wanderer
  • IRC nick: EyeBeat
« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2012, 02:21:51 pm »
Bumping this because it really needs to be looked at.

This specifically:

The thing that annoys me is blocking range. Can't count how many times someone failed to kick me, and I try to hit their side or back and they just magically blocked it anyways. All that work avoiding and trying to punish to waste..

Being a smallish community doesn't entitle you to act more like a dick than other communities.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2012, 02:56:02 pm »
san and eyebeat, steel pick and scimitar (no thrust left swing spam weapons), kickers cant block thrusts + counter face hugging shielders = balance issue, or proper counter??  u decide
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2012, 04:52:29 pm »
+2
It helps balance things out, although I do assume kicking was implemented to help longer reach weapons perform better up close when most of them already do. I'm not sure kicking is an exact counter since it can be avoided and in ridiculous cases jumped over.

What I mentioned was that if you successfully dodge and go to the enemy's side/close to their back, they'll still block it, even though their character was seemingly standing still. Spin overheads work better instead of side swings.

Allowing shielders to block while kicking/shield bash or whatever could make shielder duels interesting

Offline Artyem

• King
  • Renown: 1218
  • Infamy: 264
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • SODOM Shaman
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul / Raven / SODOMY
  • Game nicks: Artyem
« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2012, 07:43:06 pm »
What blows is walking around a corner, getting shot in the chest by King Harv just to watch him walk over and slow-mo kick you (he's in full plate so his kick looks like he's in the matrix) and while your stunned from the crossbow bolt and the kick he pulls out his danish greatsword and lops your headoff before you can even think about attacking back.

Sordida asinum latronibus sumus

Offline EyeBeat

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 175
  • 20th BEST PLAYER IN HOSPITALLER
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: EyeBeat_The_Wanderer
  • IRC nick: EyeBeat
« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2012, 09:54:16 pm »
What I mentioned was that if you successfully dodge and go to the enemy's side/close to their back, they'll still block it, even though their character was seemingly standing still.

Just have to keep reiterating this since it is hard for people like smooth to understand.  He does not understand we are talking about kicks that fail to land and not actually getting kicked.

Being a smallish community doesn't entitle you to act more like a dick than other communities.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2012, 10:18:42 pm »
+1
and if you had a stab, you could hit them during that.  but you both use weapons without stabs, so you get owned

also a shield bash mechanic that allowed shielders to actually attack WHILE still blocking seems OP to me, manual blocking while kicking is limited to 3 directions and you can't pivot, some shield bash troll mechanic would just encourage face hugging strength build shielders even more, which cmp wants to discourage so I can't imagine this being too likely (or fun/balanced)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 10:23:53 pm by Smoothrich »
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2012, 12:37:33 am »
no block after kick.
You can kick and block which results in you holding your weapon up blocking a fuckmassive weapon, all that just standing on one foot

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2012, 12:57:39 am »
no block after kick.
You can kick and block which results in you holding your weapon up blocking a fuckmassive weapon, all that just standing on one foot

just so you guys know, kick changes will go through eventually, you won't be able to block, but you will be able to pivot more

Offline NuberT

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: NuberT_HRE
  • IRC nick: NuberT_HRE
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2012, 01:00:07 am »
buff chambers !  :mrgreen:

Offline Strider

• Baron
  • Renown: 110
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 23, 2012, 01:50:55 am »
Theres no reason to change it. Some things are better off kept the same...

Offline Vingnir the Wanderer

• Knight
  • Renown: 50
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Snowhawk
  • Game nicks: Ving
« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2012, 01:56:58 am »
Should make the kick animation slower, so if your fast enough, you can just take the f*ckers foot off at the ankle.... lol

but seriously, I dunno, I hate when I (very defensive shielder) am doing my job by taking front and blocking for people, am coming through a doorway, get blocked by my own guys behind me into 'being too close to avoid it' and get kicked and then smacked to death by some guy whose weapon shouldnt even be able to do anything in a doorway (but perhaps stab, although at kick distance, with a polearm thats arguably not likely).  But I'm just complaining, I'm not saying I shouldnt be at that disadvantage because of the impatient numbskull behind me...

Kicks ARE OP - compared to rl, but they seem to be a good counter.  And shielders can get good with them  - the only reason you dont see me using them is I've run outta buttons on my keyboard that make it super fast to reach comfortably and consistently - But, if I put it where my jump button was, or pst button, etc, I'd be able to pull it off pretty regularly. It seems no harder to me as a shielder to use, than using timing to hit people just barely in range with your right-to-left swing etc, or some other moves that you get good at after a while. 

How bout if you counter kick while the guy is in a kick animation you knock him onto the floor like he got hit with a mace? lol  Just joking, but that thar would be funny  :D

I tend towards sticking with what works, even though I'm a shielder, i'd say keep it in all likelyhood

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2012, 02:35:07 am »

How bout if you counter kick while the guy is in a kick animation you knock him onto the floor like he got hit with a mace? lol  Just joking, but that thar would be funny  :D

An active counter to kicks is being thought about and might be implemented in the future too as far as I know, would add more dynamic gameplay. 

Hopefully in a more advanced medieval melee combat engine they expand on the whole "grappling" thing too instead of just kicking, since grappling was a gigantic part of fighting.  Such as active maneuvers to lock up someones sword arm, inflict polestagger like effects but because of concussive head trauma with your gauntlets or hilt or something, take people down, maybe more expanded abilities when using a dagger as your active weapon such as pulling it out after a knock down for a critical hit (and not cheesy as shit like the gears of war rip off in war of the roses).

How sweet would the game be if the big group clashes were still reach games, shield walls, pikes, skirmishers, and 2 handers guarding the flanks like it typically is in big clashes, but once the battles turned into chaotic 1 vs 1s in isolated pockets, it became more effective to use daggers and grapple moves and you saw plated knights being taken down by faster characters or two plate my old friends looking more like wrestlers then helicopters. 

Offline Vingnir the Wanderer

• Knight
  • Renown: 50
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Snowhawk
  • Game nicks: Ving
« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2012, 03:38:28 am »
Would be sweet to see, i agree.  :)