Author Topic: Manual Block - How do I become a jedi master?  (Read 8461 times)

Offline Kung Fu Jesus

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Manual Block - How do I become a jedi master?
« on: March 10, 2011, 08:29:58 pm »
So I've been playing a while now, mostly as a 2-hander. And I still suck at blocking. I just don't get how some people can block 99% of the shit that comes at them. I'm not talking about those who can block pretty good. I'm talking about those that block everything, like Harmless Peasant and these BkS(?) dudes.

Do most folks use block with mouse movement or movement keys? I've always used mouse movement but just flicking my mouse doesn't work too well in a fight. Lots of left blocks turn into overhead blocks instead. Now I'm trying blocking with movement keys but I'm so used to mouse, its hard to get used to. But it does seem to be a little bit better if I can just remember I'm not using my mouse.

Any tips besides hang out in the duel server?

For the record, I don't think straight ping is the issue. A difference of 30 milliseconds is not going to make me a superstar.
"My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. What the fuck’'s really going on down there? Who is the real hero?" - Mitch

Offline Espu

• The good
  • Count
  • Renown: 261
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Espu
Re: Manual Block - How do I become a jedi master?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 08:33:40 pm »
1. Play single player training grounds until you can block everything that an elite infantry tries to hit you with in 1v1.
2. Go practice to duel server, try to fight opponents at similar or slightly higher skill level. Fighting superheroes does not teach you anything until you can somewhat understand what they are doing.
3. Repeat 2 until satisfied.
4. Fight superheroes.
5. Become superhero.

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 08:34:51 pm »
I would like to know what generally people use for blocking, mouse or keyboard.

ive always used mouse and i get allot of wrong blocks, ill try using the keyboard mabe thats the key
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 08:36:36 pm »
I would like to know what generally people use for blocking, mouse or keyboard.

ive always used mouse and i get allot of wrong blocks, ill try using the keyboard mabe thats the key

im pretty sure most skilled pl use mouse

Offline Kutlas

• Noble
  • Renown: 21
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_BD_Kutlas
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 08:44:00 pm »
lowering mouse sensitivity worked for me to make blocks go where they are suposed to

Offline Lobster

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Lobster
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 09:01:51 pm »
Im newish to the game and still learning to block, A great bit of advice a clan member gave me, Go to the Nditions Duel Server, find the naked two hander trainer, you find lurking in a cornor somewhere.

Press F to duel him, Dont attack! Just stand still block everything he throws out you. do this for 30mins everytime you play. Dont bother dueling any human player on Nditions to you can block the trainer for 5 mins.
To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Offline Murchad

• Noble
  • Renown: 24
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 09:16:13 pm »
One tip i would give is to make a char without super high speed or range this will force you to block more rather than rely on spam.
try a high str char with lighter armor so you don't rely on your armor to save you.
30str
12agi
10ps
ath3
4wm

you will gain lots of gold
you should gets lots of kills
you will be forced to manuel block
stay out of the thickest fighting, once the fighting gets to be less of a spam/mobfest start moving around killing/blocking

-when you are a peasant don't just cower back behind the team; run at a high level guy who is flanking your team.
then block block block until teammates come to help or you die.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 09:27:29 pm »
Im newish to the game and still learning to block, A great bit of advice a clan member gave me, Go to the Nditions Duel Server, find the naked two hander trainer, you find lurking in a cornor somewhere.

Press F to duel him, Dont attack! Just stand still block everything he throws out you. do this for 30mins everytime you play. Dont bother dueling any human player on Nditions to you can block the trainer for 5 mins.

Well, I disagree. The training bot is all fine and dandy, but playing against the players is way better in the end and gives you motivation. Most of the people there aren't that good anyways, so just keep dueling people until you find some guys who you can have fairly equal duels with.

Also this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcjnbIF1yAA
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 09:33:47 pm by Xant »
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Toffi

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Honoured Guard)
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 09:27:51 pm »
1. Play single player training grounds until you can block everything that an elite infantry tries to hit you with in 1v1.
2. Go practice to duel server, try to fight opponents at similar or slightly higher skill level. Fighting superheroes does not teach you anything until you can somewhat understand what they are doing.
3. Repeat 2 until satisfied.
4. Fight superheroes.
5. Become superhero.

good guide!

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 09:35:51 pm »
go duel server in native.
ther you char have the same abilities than you enemy char
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline Kung Fu Jesus

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 10:52:20 pm »
What's people's opinion on weapons that are unbalanced? Anyone feel that makes any significant difference because I tend to use them for their shield-breaking effect. Although I have been killed by a peasant Native_ATS using a torch and blocking everything I threw at him. That was embarrassing.

"My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. What the fuck’'s really going on down there? Who is the real hero?" - Mitch

Offline MrShovelFace

• Baron
  • Renown: 119
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • Nobody cares about who I am or what I think
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 11:02:44 pm »
stomach getting your ass wooped in the duel server for 2 hours will give you some understanding of it.

Another way is go to native and choose ffa deathmatch and use the same method on people who havent broken the speed of light

and another thing, even I can spam blocks. Its not that hard if there is only one opponent with a weapon without rediculous speed / huscarl shield hiding their every movement.

so dont feel bad.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 11:05:03 pm by MrShovelFace »
Nobody cares about who I am or what I think

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 07:21:48 am »
Skip the part about fighting with bots. Go straight to the duel server. Fighting bots is pretty useless in this game compared to rl humans.
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 07:42:19 am »
I'd say I'm a pretty good manual blocker, I got better at manual blocking by playing in duel for extended periods of times so you can concentrate on blocking instead of dodging the hailstorm coming your way.

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 07:44:32 am »
Well, I disagree. The training bot is all fine and dandy, but playing against the players is way better in the end and gives you motivation. Most of the people there aren't that good anyways, so just keep dueling people until you find some guys who you can have fairly equal duels with.
agreed.