Author Topic: OP Sidesword  (Read 7844 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: OP Sidesword
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2011, 08:08:46 am »
If seeing players constantly switch builds has taught me anything, it's this: any good player in a melee build is perfectly capable of killing everyone else.

That's true, but sword&board requires less skill to have same k/d.

Offline Varyag

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 72
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
  • Game nicks: Merc_Varyag_
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2011, 08:32:20 am »
I use balanced side sword. And its good against noobs and medium players. But I still can't kill best twohanders with it. SO NERF 2HANDERS for lulz!

On the serious note, side sword is quite expensive, and often I lose 500 gold per round just for having side sword with me. So, you bunch of twohanders calm down and live with the fact that shielders also have expensive weapons, just like u do. As for realism: DO U SERIOUSLY THINK U CAN SO EASILY SWING UR HUGE HEAVY TWOHANDERS IN REAL LIFE LIKE U DO IT IN CRPG? LOL
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Phyrex

• Count
  • Renown: 192
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 22nd Battalion
  • Game nicks: 22nd_Overlord_Phyrex
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2011, 08:39:01 am »
I wish all weapons were as fast as the Sidesword, might make combat exciting again.
Free Bjordhinn!

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2011, 12:10:10 pm »
I use balanced side sword. And its good against noobs and medium players. But I still can't kill best twohanders with it. SO NERF 2HANDERS for lulz!

On the serious note, side sword is quite expensive, and often I lose 500 gold per round just for having side sword with me. So, you bunch of twohanders calm down and live with the fact that shielders also have expensive weapons, just like u do. As for realism: DO U SERIOUSLY THINK U CAN SO EASILY SWING UR HUGE HEAVY TWOHANDERS IN REAL LIFE LIKE U DO IT IN CRPG? LOL

Side sword is less expensive than most top tier 2handers/polearms, as for realism, lol.

If we were to balance anything around realism, archers as an exemple would only be good for volleys.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2011, 12:16:35 pm »
Side sword is less expensive than most top tier 2handers/polearms

True. It's just that you need a shield to go with that one handed sword to make it viable. If I was going to use it without a shield I'm better off taking a 2h weapon.
A sidesword with an elite cavalry shield is allready more expensive than the danish greatsword.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2011, 12:41:34 pm »
I agree with you guys. Fast, can deal a lot of damage, and it's usable with shields..

Yeah, I want a personal tac. nuke too.

If you know the Ru_Conquista group in EU battle servers, you know what I'm talking about. They can slaughter masses by abusing that weapon's current stats. Insane.

Even with a poleaxe, I start fighting with them, shield needs a lot of hits to kill, (high shield skill, I guess), and the speed I have to counter is worse than katana/spammitar in my opinion.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2011, 12:44:16 pm »
True. It's just that you need a shield to go with that one handed sword to make it viable. If I was going to use it without a shield I'm better off taking a 2h weapon.
A sidesword with an elite cavalry shield is allready more expensive than the danish greatsword.

Not necessarely, atleast in duel 1 handers are currently the OP choice as they're incredibly fast and hard hitting, specially the sidesword, as for battle I can agree but in the end a shield is just another defensive tool, much like how a 2 hander would buy an expensive armor, I have a sword and boarder and with 26k worth of stuff I can get stuff like barbutte, heraldic mail, sidesword, huscarl shield no problem.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2011, 01:24:12 pm »
I agree with you guys. Fast, can deal a lot of damage, and it's usable with shields..

Yeah, I want a personal tac. nuke too.

If you know the Ru_Conquista group in EU battle servers, you know what I'm talking about. They can slaughter masses by abusing that weapon's current stats. Insane.

Even with a poleaxe, I start fighting with them, shield needs a lot of hits to kill, (high shield skill, I guess), and the speed I have to counter is worse than katana/spammitar in my opinion.

QFT. Anyone who is whining about 1h being a bad choice can take one long, hard spectate at DimaUrban.

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2011, 01:24:16 pm »
Yeah, 1handed weapons need a shield to be effective and the combo cost a lot... But sidesword is the top tier weapon so it should cost a lot, i don't see problem with this.

Also, it's the last weapon in 1hander category, i guess it have to be good (for example like a flamberge in 2h category) it's true that it's a very fast weapon for such damages (i don't even talk of heirloom version). Since scymi have been nerfed no-one use it, and speed is a key for 1hander, so everyone use sidesword.

I can understand that it's disturbing for 2hander spammers that were used to pwn 1handers, they can't anymore. But good 2handers don't have issue with spamsword, even less if the 1hander try to spam them (backpedal, slash, he's dead) and they are not that fast, you have time to counter attack.

I don't use sidesword, i don't like the design and it cost too much for such uglyness, but i don't find it op.

@ Vibe : i don't see how 1hander have a better k/d. Sure it's easier to survive (arrows) and shield can deal with multiple enemies. But in a battle, 1handers slash foe 2 or 3 times, then a 2h/pole finish the job, or 1h concentrate the block on his shield and a 2h/pole kill the foe in 1 or 2 hit. 2h/pole deal way more damages, then more kills, then better k/d.

But it's'true that we see more and more good skill players using 1h+shield, not only noobs. Ppl think less that the real good players are the one who know to block and we see new 1h build.
But there are very few 1handers that top the scoreboard, ex: RXN, Cyber, Dima(only one using sidesword but for his clan style).

Offline Toffi

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Honoured Guard)
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2011, 01:24:29 pm »
well I'm not using that sword but just checked it out, it's the most expensive sword 9k so I don't care about the stats, it can be op for that price.

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • BOAT OF ANGER FLOATING ON THE SEA OF TEARS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Felipe
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2011, 01:33:33 pm »
Right now I really wondering, why they even added the side sword. I mean, everyone is interested in Balance and that no weapon is too powerful. Now, just take a look at these stats:

weight 1.3
requirement 8
spd rtng 101   
weapon length 95
swing damage 32, cut
thrust damage 26 pierce

The first thing you have to think is: "This weapon is OP!"
At least that was my reaction and I was even more suprised as I saw that they buffed my beloved Espada.  :cry:

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2011, 01:55:25 pm »
you mean nerfed the long espada?  Ya that was my sword before the patch....
Just a soldier

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2011, 01:59:32 pm »
you mean nerfed the long espada?  Ya that was my sword before the patch....
Yes, my fault, i ment nerfed.  :) I will use it anyway after I retired, cause it has style and the range is still a good reason to choose the long Espada.

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2011, 02:01:32 pm »
That sword was my baby! But then they nerfed it and buffed the side sword so it was time to move on :/
Just a soldier

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2011, 02:05:33 pm »
That sword was my baby! But then they nerfed it and buffed the side sword so it was time to move on :/
Maybe, but you still can heirloom it and then it's quite powerful and it has it's speed back.