Add this feature?

Yes
123 (85.4%)
No
13 (9%)
Only if you nerf the secondary mode slightly
8 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 144

Author Topic: Secondary mode for bows  (Read 7524 times)

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
Re: Secondary mode for bows
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2012, 01:23:23 pm »
I make money with a stack of normal arrows, a somewhat expensive twohander, and a tatar bow. + a shitload of heavy armor.
If archers have a hard time making money they should just use normal arrows.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 01:29:18 pm by Zlisch_The_Butcher »
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2012, 01:27:58 pm »
+2
Also, I'm pretty sure now that I think about it, switching arrow type is already possible.
1. drop bow.
2. pick up bow.
3. pick up the two arrow stacks in the correct order.
4. I'm a fucking genius, archers, pay me.  :mrgreen:
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Rico

• King
  • Renown: 1021
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rico, Mila
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2012, 01:38:02 pm »
"To my knowledge you cannot use 2 seperate stacks of arrows properly. If we were to add a secondary mode function to be able to switch between quivers though.. For example, you are cruising around with one stack of 20 barbed arrows shooting peasants, but then you see a plate armoured guy. Oh well no problem. Press 'x' and switch to your stack of 15 bodkins. I think it would greatly add variety to archery and allow for more tactical gameplay from an archers point of view."

Great idea imo. Please add a poll to this suggestion!
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2012, 04:18:30 pm »
Sometimes it still happens, even when you take the right arrows....stop playing mr teacher all the time will you? I know how it should work

Btw, it was actually meant as a joke if you didn't see the   -->  :D  <--

Then you aren't paying attention  :wink: It never happens to me.

Joking aside, many people really had no clue how it works. I'll always provide the lamp of enlightenment anywhere that I perceive the darkness of ignorance. Don't think I do this just for you.  :mrgreen:
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Blueberry Muffin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 749
  • Infamy: 119
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2012, 05:17:44 pm »
Poll added.
Lizard_Man: Fuck all that! Rather buy me 4 cans of Stella..
Cymro: Wife beater stella
Lizard_Man: It'll get ya drunk! You'll be fucking fat girls in no time! You might even fight a nigga or two! Mmmm-mmm, bitch!

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2012, 06:46:02 pm »
+2
My point was that onehander carrying 2x1H weapons is no way a viable option. By carrying 2 different damage type "cheapos" you pay upkeep that would make up 1 weapon which would do the excact same job, even better no matter what the damage type is. Not to mention that 2 weapons tend to be heavier than one weapon. Carrying 2 stacks of different arrows on the other hand is highly viable option. I don't see why anyone would take only one type of them anymore because it is only profit all the way. Other arrows than bodkins = lower upkeep = profit. Able to use cut damage on peasants = profit. Bodkins when that evil platemonster harrasses you = profit.

2 shields? Are you out of your mind??!! Do you have a slightest idea how heavy they are to carry around?

I stop this... I have said what I think about the matter and I have nothing else to add. I just don't agree with you this time Joker :mrgreen:

In this case it is completely irrelevant how viable something is. Often enough I see turtles with two shields. If you don't like the examples of sword+hammer or 2 shields, then how about the example of throwing axes (cutting dmg) and throwing spears (pierce damage)? People DO use different throwing weapons. If you do so, should the second item be nerfed a bit? Or should you be forced to first throw all weapons of one kind and then all weapons of the second kind? Or should you be allowed to switch weapons freely, as you pay with slots and upkeep for all of them? I think latter.

But I think everything boils down to the following question: why should it be OP if an archer can switch freely between his arrows? He wastes slots on them (his bow on its own does nothing, it needs arrows to work. It's not like you need to buy and axe head and a hammer head for your halberd to have it work), they have additional weight, and he pays upkeep for them.

It doesn't matter for you, if you are shot by an archer who has ONLY bodkins, or an archer who uses bodkins BESIDES ordinary arrows. You receive a bodkin. If you complain that you have caught a bodkin because the game mechanics don't force the archer to use up his ordinary arrows first, then all I can say the complaining player is a miserable, unfair cunt.

Not being able to switch ammo is NO part of gameplay or balancing, and thus removing this restriction does NOT require any balancing.

Sorry that I take up the discussion again, although Son of Odin already stopped it, but you set up the voting now, with the option to nerf the secondary arrows, and I think this option makes the poll useless, because it's bullshit. Read my last posts here and then please remove the last option. Keep it just "yes" and "no".
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Shinobi

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2012, 03:08:16 pm »
Just adding If this is implemented you should be able to switch bolts too.

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2012, 03:13:05 pm »
Then you aren't paying attention  :wink: It never happens to me.

Joking aside, many people really had no clue how it works. I'll always provide the lamp of enlightenment anywhere that I perceive the darkness of ignorance. Don't think I do this just for you.  :mrgreen:

You do it for others, too?? :O

Now talk to the hand mister -.-

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2012, 04:57:59 pm »
I am afraid that the secondary mode could slightly break balance. You know, archery doesn't have to be very realistic. I just want it to be balanced and archers should prepare their priorities. If an archer wants to shoot heavy infantry, he should take bodkins. If he wants to take tatar arrows, he had better shoot horses and light/med infantry.

If archers were too multifunctional, it could break the balance.

Just my opinion. There were also topics about 2 different attacks with a spear while holding a shield. It could be done as well.
I like the idea, but as I said before, I am afraid it would make balancing game harder.

BlueKnight

Skyrim UI

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2012, 11:01:28 pm »
Alright, here is what I consider to be an acceptable secondary mode for bows.

Enable Secondary Mode - You can't shoot your bow, but you can block as if it were a polearm.
Switch to Primary Mode - You can shoot, but you can't block with it.

Allowing archers to switch between arrow types without any other changes would be imbalancing and force us to go back to square one. I would rather not see what the Devs would come up with to counter this.

Just load bodkins in slot 1 and cut arrows in slot 2. Aim for armor until you are down to cut. By time you get to the cut arrows, players are bleeding from several cuts and arrows and bolts and it doesn't take a bodkin to finish them anyhow.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2012, 11:54:35 pm »
+2
I think you all are overestimating the effect switchable ammo would have on the game.

They pay for their ammo, same as for every other item everyone else uses, so they should be able to switch freely between them, like everyone else does.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2012, 11:56:38 pm »
I think you all are overestimating the effect switchable ammo would have on the game.

They pay for their ammo, same as for every other item everyone else uses, so they should be able to switch freely between them, like everyone else does.

Jup.

Melee guys can switch through their weapons and throwers cans witch to what they want to throw (cut or pierce and nowadays also blunt) but archers and crossbowers can't :/

Offline Branches

• Noble
  • Renown: 24
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2012, 01:17:45 pm »
THIS is a FANTASTIC idea and just totally makes sense!

-It would also be cool if both quivers showed on your person. like if you had two one went on your upper back the other on your lower back. I believe you can do this in native and it looks sick. but that's a different topic...

Offline Dalfador

• Marshall
  • Renown: 898
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the White Stallion
  • Game nicks: Dalfador
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2012, 11:46:28 pm »