Author Topic: Solution to the Strength Madness???  (Read 12463 times)

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
Re: Solution to the Strength Madness???
« Reply #165 on: March 19, 2012, 11:53:29 pm »
Simple solution to address the above mentioned high STR builds - remove free WPF per level.

0 WM - 0 WPF, as it was mentioned a thousand times

The thing I don't like about this is it's another nerf and it hurts a lot of builds, not just str ones.

My main 1-hander build for example:

Strength: 18
Agility: 21
Skills to attributes: 8
Ironflesh: 4
Power Strike: 6
Shield: 6
Athletics: 7
One Handed: 111

I'd personally rather see an acceleration increase with every point in agility then the loss of free WPF.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #166 on: March 20, 2012, 01:16:11 am »
+2
Just make agility add 1 hit point, same as strength. This will reflect their ability to mitigate the damage taken from a blow by having it be indirect. Unlike the strength goon who just stands there and takes the full brunt.

Done.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 772
  • Infamy: 1605
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 20, 2012, 01:18:42 am »
That isn't good idea.

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
« Reply #168 on: March 20, 2012, 06:54:38 am »
How about just decreasing how much damage PS adds to 5% and removing hp from strength.

To compensate make each point of IF = 3.

?

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 20, 2012, 07:26:24 am »
The thing I don't like about this is it's another nerf and it hurts a lot of builds, not just str ones.

My main 1-hander build for example:

Strength: 18
Agility: 21
Skills to attributes: 8
Ironflesh: 4
Power Strike: 6
Shield: 6
Athletics: 7
One Handed: 111

I'd personally rather see an acceleration increase with every point in agility then the loss of free WPF.

See, this is where you would have to sacrifice your IF for WM to get some WPF. Clearly such builds will not be possible without a small compensation from other skill.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #170 on: March 20, 2012, 07:33:20 am »
+2
dependent upon either weapon proficiency or Power strike would vary depending on the weapon in question. For example;

Weapon Proficiency; All one handed Swords, Lighter Two handed swords [Katana, longsword, Bastard Sword] One handed picks, 'Lighter' spears [Warspear and red tassel spear for example]

Power Strike; Maces, Heavy Twohanded weapons [Mauls, large two handed swords, and large polearms]

Dafuqing hell? No no no no no no no no.

No fucking no ):<
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #171 on: March 20, 2012, 01:35:05 pm »
+3
I was just thinking and removing free WPF wouldn't have the effect that a lot of you think it would. Instead of hurting strength builds it would hurt ranged and it would REALLY hurt hybrids.

The fact is, WPF does barely anything for damage. If you're looking for damage, you're always better off going PS. Also the swing speed increase isn't huge. If you're using a weapon that's already fast, 100 wpf will give you a swing speed increase of about .06 seconds. Not that big of a deal. Everyone knows you can pick a weapon off the ground and do well with it with 0 WPF.  The only time it REALLY hurts you is if you're using something like a Long Maul or a Pike.

Agi could use something, but I don't think removing free WPF is the way to go.

To me, the one really frustrating thing about this game is how often athletics has negative effects applied to it in game: rain, inclines, stairs, indoors. It's shitty that your effectiveness can be dramatically reduced just because of the map. Strength builds don't have that problem. Especially since all of the reductions in this game are percentage-based, it effects people with high athletics more than people with low athletics.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 20, 2012, 05:25:14 pm »
I was just thinking and removing free WPF wouldn't have the effect that a lot of you think it would. Instead of hurting strength builds it would hurt ranged and it would REALLY hurt hybrids.

The fact is, WPF does barely anything for damage. If you're looking for damage, you're always better off going PS. Also the swing speed increase isn't huge. If you're using a weapon that's already fast, 100 wpf will give you a swing speed increase of about .06 seconds. Not that big of a deal. Everyone knows you can pick a weapon off the ground and do well with it with 0 WPF.  The only time it REALLY hurts you is if you're using something like a Long Maul or a Pike.

Agi could use something, but I don't think removing free WPF is the way to go.

To me, the one really frustrating thing about this game is how often athletics has negative effects applied to it in game: rain, inclines, stairs, indoors. It's shitty that your effectiveness can be dramatically reduced just because of the map. Strength builds don't have that problem. Especially since all of the reductions in this game are percentage-based, it effects people with high athletics more than people with low athletics.

Like it was said many times in this thread, free WPF would be compensated with increasing WPP gain per WM. No hybrid/archer that invested in WM before would suffer.

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
« Reply #173 on: March 20, 2012, 09:32:41 pm »
+2
Like it was said many times in this thread, free WPF would be compensated with increasing WPP gain per WM. No hybrid/archer that invested in WM before would suffer.

What if the free WPF you get is based on how much AGI you have and not what level you are?

That way each point of strength = 1hp and each point of AGI gives some wpf.

That way level doesn't give you anything except for points to spend.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #174 on: March 20, 2012, 09:43:10 pm »
Kon's idea seems like it would be the best of both worlds.  You shouldn't get free WPF when you level, but you should get some when you put it into Agility maybe (if they don't want to make it entirely dependent on WM).
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 20, 2012, 11:31:27 pm »
What if the free WPF you get is based on how much AGI you have and not what level you are?

That way each point of strength = 1hp and each point of AGI gives some wpf.

That way level doesn't give you anything except for points to spend.

I guess that's a good solution too.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #176 on: March 24, 2012, 12:28:34 am »
+1
Make hitting/glancing not based on damage but on something else, this way super strength high PS builds wont be able to do incredible hiltslashes and agi based builds wont glance like crazy.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline justme

• Count
  • Renown: 188
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandits
  • Game nicks: Bandit_Elsupreme
« Reply #177 on: March 24, 2012, 12:49:36 pm »
i glance alot with 10 ps.. :P

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 24, 2012, 01:29:12 pm »
+1
this way super strength high PS builds wont be able to do incredible hiltslashes and agi based builds wont glance like crazy.
This is exactly the opposite. Agi builds hiltslash a lot better because hiltslashing is based on movement. A strength build cannot hiltslash someone who has good footwork and an agibuild.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #179 on: March 25, 2012, 12:23:39 am »
+1
This is exactly the opposite. Agi builds hiltslash a lot better because hiltslashing is based on movement. A strength build cannot hiltslash someone who has good footwork and an agibuild.
Yeah, I totally don't hiltslash people with 12 PS on Brunchlady all day long without glancing. It ups my base damage so high it rarely if ever glances.
Besides, strength builds can match movement direction of an agi player, it really isn't a big deal. Direction > speed. The bonus movement speed of an agi build is a double-edged sword. A good player will always use it against them -- or negate it back to square one if both players counter move/swing.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 12:26:18 am by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.