Author Topic: Share your thoughts on monotony and cRPG  (Read 3899 times)

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
Re: Share your thoughts on monotony and cRPG
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 09:17:08 am »
Just Cause 2 - most fun out of many alternatives.

The most monotonous is the continual whines about 2handers, cavalry, spam, etc.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Polobow

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoA
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 09:42:23 am »
it derives from the snow village map on native where there is literally a barn that gets you exp.

Team A camps the barn and Team B camps outside of it. Both teams take turns shooting in and out of the barn whittling the player count down.

At the time of exp barns EXP and gold was still awarded by proximity thus you would only get exp by being close to a dying enemy.

In the exp barn it is possible for the entire server to be within the same exp proximity thus meaning that everyone who dies on the map is converted into 10+ exp for you (Or the changed value of 200ish when chadz shook up the exp values)

Vindictus. Now that is a good game. Too bad Nexon hates Europe.

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 03:08:42 pm »
I keep myself entertained by trying to to get my team to use group tactics. Trying to get people to join a battalion, carry the flag around... stuff like that. When i'm doing that, i enjoy cRPG much more. It doesn't feel like a grind then. Every round is a fresh chance to win.

I often die early, leading some charge into a large group of enemies. Then i spectate. This is fun to me:
It gives me something to do when dead, which is nice. You can only spend so much time on buying equipment and pondering new builds.  :rolleyes:

So when dead, i spectate. I zoom out, look at the map as a whole and try to think of a plan. You'll be amazed how much you can see if you just look at the battle from a little distance*. I'm trying to see where- and how players get advantages like: facing a single opponent with multiple players, fighting while having ranged players supporting your fight and giving an area of cover, fighting with cavalry support, etcetera.

Then i run through different scenarios in my head. Would my team be willing to (just an example) try going far left? Or do they want to camp some hill? Would flanking work or is it likely the enemy team counters that by taking up different positions? Is the other team trying tactics? Do they switch it up or use the same plan every round? Who and what are the priority targets?

And when this gets boring or repetitive, i try to entice other players to try suggesting new plans or even to lead for a few rounds. Apart from the occasional and often valid criticisms on my somewhat simplistic tactics, this generally leads to lots of positive feedback and a good atmosphere in-game.

There is so much depth and possible variation to random battles, this is an almost endless challenge. Way more interesting than the many, many other games i've played. I've even taken to creating and equipping my characters so they make a good character to lead from. Having a mount, for example, really helps. Mobility is key.

And if the tactics get boring, i start messing around with odd equipment. Buying and trying new weapons and equipment can be fun. I've also taken to trading equipment and horses at spawn, to try different heirloomed items or stuff i haven't bought yet.

But mostly, i entertain myself with the endlessly fascinating group behaviours that occur during most battles. I bet a psychology student could write an interesting paper or two on that.  :D

* - I do play on a 27" monitor at 1920x1080, so there is still a lot to see when i 'zoom out'.

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 04:29:03 pm »
I keep myself entertained by trying to to get my team to use group tactics. Trying to get people to join a battalion, carry the flag around... stuff like that. When i'm doing that, i enjoy cRPG much more. It doesn't feel like a grind then. Every round is a fresh chance to win.

I often die early, leading some charge into a large group of enemies. Then i spectate. This is fun to me:
It gives me something to do when dead, which is nice. You can only spend so much time on buying equipment and pondering new builds.  :rolleyes:

So when dead, i spectate. I zoom out, look at the map as a whole and try to think of a plan. You'll be amazed how much you can see if you just look at the battle from a little distance*. I'm trying to see where- and how players get advantages like: facing a single opponent with multiple players, fighting while having ranged players supporting your fight and giving an area of cover, fighting with cavalry support, etcetera.

Then i run through different scenarios in my head. Would my team be willing to (just an example) try going far left? Or do they want to camp some hill? Would flanking work or is it likely the enemy team counters that by taking up different positions? Is the other team trying tactics? Do they switch it up or use the same plan every round? Who and what are the priority targets?

And when this gets boring or repetitive, i try to entice other players to try suggesting new plans or even to lead for a few rounds. Apart from the occasional and often valid criticisms on my somewhat simplistic tactics, this generally leads to lots of positive feedback and a good atmosphere in-game.

There is so much depth and possible variation to random battles, this is an almost endless challenge. Way more interesting than the many, many other games i've played. I've even taken to creating and equipping my characters so they make a good character to lead from. Having a mount, for example, really helps. Mobility is key.

And if the tactics get boring, i start messing around with odd equipment. Buying and trying new weapons and equipment can be fun. I've also taken to trading equipment and horses at spawn, to try different heirloomed items or stuff i haven't bought yet.

But mostly, i entertain myself with the endlessly fascinating group behaviours that occur during most battles. I bet a psychology student could write an interesting paper or two on that.  :D

* - I do play on a 27" monitor at 1920x1080, so there is still a lot to see when i 'zoom out'.

This. It's especially fun when most of my clan members are around and banner balance is on. Hell, sometimes I just spectate, fraps stuff, and issue commands from an eagle's eye view.

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ganon, Linkk
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 04:38:36 pm »
No patches and no strategus are certainly a cause, i'm playing less and less (i do a few matches once every 2-3 days now). Throwing needs to get patched badly, and playing the same mode over and over gets old after a while. I'm not even joining a clan because of these reasons (me not playing enough, most clans becoming more inactive, no strategus to do clan battles on).

Offline Vicious666

• Baron
  • Renown: 88
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
  • becouse an image is worth a thousand words
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vicious666_xXx
  • IRC nick: Vicious666
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 06:40:02 pm »
give back   xp and gold  by kill

not "general xp"     

Offline Khalim

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 06:48:33 pm »

not "general xp"   

So much wisdome in your words!

The current system is really a bullshit of gamedesign. Sorry

Currently developing the character is some entertainment, but the REAL motivationdriver is that you can INFLUENCE your fate by yourself not by beeing dependend from somebody else.

I know that the developer of the mod has made up some thoughts on the new XP/Gold system, but to my mind his thoughts are based on wrong assumption.

Probably some ills of the former system have been eliminated but more and even severe problems have been produced.

The current system was a really bad attempt to improve the mod, there are better ways.

PS.: I do not care about teamplay and I dont want to be depended on other people I dont know. I want to improve my skills challanging skilled players dont sit idle in front of the PC until the next round.

The mod would really be freaking awesome, if there was a killed based XP/Gold system AND Teamdeathmatch!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 06:54:06 pm by Khalim »
" ME LONG WOOD PIECE WITH SHARP STONE AT PEAK.ME COME RIDE TO YOU ON BIG ANIMAL FAST."

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 07:07:46 pm »
I have to agree with the guys that mentioned Vindictus in this and the other thread.  I'm being pretty entertained by it so far.  I do miss the mechanics such as blocking (both shielded and manual) and directional attacks however I LOVE that it has a player controlled sprint feature, stamina bar, attack combo's, great physics, destructable terrain, improvised weaponry from objects (pieces of rubble, fence posts, pots/vases, enemy corpses), grappling and double tapped movements (dodges/lunge).  If only we could get these things into warband somehow.... sigh.

Anyways, I do think part of the problem is that this 30-31 grind is killer.  I didn't believe in abusing the broken retirement system pre-patch (with the wpf shit) and so now I have all of my toons gen 1 except gorath who finally made it to gen 2.  But they're all sitting at 30 with 2 mill+ xp to go until I can retire to get an heirloom while I watch the gen10-20 guys retiring every 2 days.  I think that's probably contributing to my burnout and it's probably a bit whiney but alas, it's the truth.  Can't catch up and they just keep getting bigger and bigger leads.  Hell I'd wager some guys like Goretooth are going to start retiring daily here shortly.  So I guess part of my burnout comes from a little bit of butt-hurt and I'll just have to accept that.

And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline joshko

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Eastern Tsardom
  • Game nicks: Tsar Joshko
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 07:44:48 pm »
This. It's especially fun when most of my clan members are around and banner balance is on. Hell, sometimes I just spectate, fraps stuff, and issue commands from an eagle's eye view.

adnd then TS comes on and beats you.

Going through a bit of a slump myself, I just found Mass Effect so there's my temporary distraction.
Hu?

Offline Belatu

• Count
  • Renown: 242
  • Infamy: 111
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • what
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Belatucadros
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2011, 07:57:24 pm »

not "general xp"   

NO!
My fridge is my shield

Offline balbaroth

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 09:02:40 pm »
i have to agree with vicious here , the new system encourage people to be lazy and leech their lvls , ive seen tons of people leeching way more than when you needed to be close and survive to get the most xp possible,

also the repair system was good when it was launched.. hard and without pity , now , its too easy to get money...

i also loathe the banner balance , yes its fun to play with guildies i wont deny that , but its totally unfair to people without a clan ,  there is a reason why i dont play on the ats server that much , its because of banner balance :(

and dont give me the excuse of : get in a clan ,  thats a simpleton way to adress a situation 

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 09:05:59 pm »
i also loathe the banner balance , yes its fun to play with guildies i wont deny that , but its totally unfair to people without a clan ,  there is a reason why i dont play on the ats server that much , its because of banner balance :(

and dont give me the excuse of : get in a clan ,  thats a simpleton way to adress a situation

So then without the banner balance what's the point of having a clan at all?  Strategus only?  No banner balance directly contributed to my disconnect with my clanmates prior to the patch.  But maybe that's just me.  I don't know why you'd rather play with randoms all the time, no such thing as teamwork on an all random "team" (and I use the word team loosely when it comes to those groups).
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Kung Fu Jesus

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2011, 09:23:39 pm »
I'm getting bored as well. You can build a character in two days. After a while, there's nothing left to buy. So money is just there to pay for repairs. So no money goals and no character progression. I'm really left with improving myself as a player, which is fine but not quite enough. The game has become like any standard shooter. At least with Call of Duty or the others, you can work towards meaningless achievements to keep you interested. There's just nothing to sustain longevity with crpg. One of my biggest gripes is that I believe the concept of crpg, with character building elements in a Mount and Blade world has so much potential but its not going anywhere.

I'm hoping strategus will fix some of these issues but at the rate things progress, it may be too little too late for me and a lot of folks.
"My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. What the fuckĀ’'s really going on down there? Who is the real hero?" - Mitch

Offline balbaroth

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2011, 09:37:48 pm »
So then without the banner balance what's the point of having a clan at all?  Strategus only?  No banner balance directly contributed to my disconnect with my clanmates prior to the patch.  But maybe that's just me.  I don't know why you'd rather play with randoms all the time, no such thing as teamwork on an all random "team" (and I use the word team loosely when it comes to those groups).

yeah clans should be for strategus ONLY gamewise ,  you can have teamwork with random people ,

usually (not always) peoples in clans are the ones that play alot , so are better builded geared lvled etc...
so they are let's say strongs characters , well banner balance put them all together...

also ive seen case of stupid banner balancing , like there is 2 clans in the server playing and the lovely banner balance put both clans  in the same side....

Offline Vicious666

• Baron
  • Renown: 88
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
  • becouse an image is worth a thousand words
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vicious666_xXx
  • IRC nick: Vicious666
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2011, 09:40:21 pm »
NO!

no ?

i not have seen a single fucking  shield wall, since   this general xp patch.

previously   the group where together and do tactics,   no leechers   also            nothing    block us from make a mix of the 2 system, like reduce to half the current min/gain,  but add  the   xp/gold    for kill      like was pre patch, only reduced by half
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 10:42:12 pm by Vicious666 »