Author Topic: Share your thoughts on monotony and cRPG  (Read 3902 times)

Offline MrShovelFace

• Baron
  • Renown: 119
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • Nobody cares about who I am or what I think
    • View Profile
Share your thoughts on monotony and cRPG
« on: March 01, 2011, 10:30:56 pm »
+1
Write here your thoughts on the current monotony of cRPG and how it could be corrected, or make a counterpoint
[or insult me]

My thoughts on cRPG at the moment is that the game is failing to cater to the more adept players who just want a new experience instead of battle mode or the current state of siege mode
Nobody cares about who I am or what I think

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Share your thoughts on monotony and cRPG
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 10:34:08 pm »
Strategus will fix this :( when/if it's ever active again.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 10:34:41 pm »
I heard there will be new gamemodes soon ;d
Also, do you have an alt in every class?

Offline MrShovelFace

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 10:44:04 pm »
I have made 2 archers, one balanced but leaned more to agi. One is a pure str archer with 33 str and 3 agi wields a long bow and crushes shielders. Made a character bent specificly for running people over on a charger. Made shovelface in maybe 5-6 variations (cant remember how many char wipes we have had) Made a balb clone, made a hoplite char. Made a thrower. Made a cav on the original shovelface and a cav capable char on a later shovelface. Made an athletics pumping freak with a spiked staff. Made a short lived horsearcher. Made a shielder/thrower that didnt last that long past lvl 25. And then a dedicated knifer. A dedicated rock thrower who evolved into a char that used rocks only in melee. Loads of joke characters.

thats about as much as i can remember. Dont you remember me though?

Offline gazda

• Earl
  • Renown: 483
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • Its almost harvesting season.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Saracens
  • Game nicks: Gazda_the_Swine
  • IRC nick: gazda
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 10:45:08 pm »
Well normal mode(battle, siege, and any other future modes) is a bit worse then native couse there are big differences with equipment and skills of players so it gets more frustraiting at a times. But what i think, this mod is created for role playing, so strategus helps it and makes it a mod with very high playability.

Once strategus becomes available game expiriance will be better. IMO strategus is core of this mod, something like Line battles are core of mount and musket.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Belatu

• Count
  • Renown: 242
  • Infamy: 111
  • what
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Belatucadros
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 10:45:44 pm »

XP barn mode?
My fridge is my shield

Offline MrShovelFace

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 10:47:05 pm »
Dont even remind me of the horrors of exp barns

as to strategus, it is never readily available and if you arent in a big clan the only way it applies to you is exp grinding
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 10:48:47 pm by MrShovelFace »

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 10:50:33 pm »
I do remember you as crossbower...
Seems to me that you simply have been playing too much. Chillax, get some Borderlands (Cyber, come on skype you bastard) hours, conquer the world with greeks in R:TW, etc.

Offline MrShovelFace

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 10:52:59 pm »
all attempts to get another drug have alas failed D: but this is off topic

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 10:56:48 pm »
What is XP barn mode?
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline MrShovelFace

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 11:39:23 pm »
it derives from the snow village map on native where there is literally a barn that gets you exp.

Team A camps the barn and Team B camps outside of it. Both teams take turns shooting in and out of the barn whittling the player count down.

At the time of exp barns EXP and gold was still awarded by proximity thus you would only get exp by being close to a dying enemy.

In the exp barn it is possible for the entire server to be within the same exp proximity thus meaning that everyone who dies on the map is converted into 10+ exp for you (Or the changed value of 200ish when chadz shook up the exp values)

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 12:22:38 am »

Not all of us have so much expendable time
Just a soldier

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A friendly archer decorating your ass with arrows
    • View Profile
    • Gab.ai. Freedom of Speech matters.
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: None that you need to know of - except Hirlok the Hermit.
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 04:25:00 am »
so far still having fun, but can see  it coming that the battle/siege-only-mode will soon be enough.
Having a lot of lulz, but some things could be improved (for my taste):

- having the "whole game" ported to multiplayer (part of which strategus might deliver, but so far I do not see much) would make it more appealing to strategists AND real-time battle freaks.

- in battle and siege, it would be nice if REAL teamplay and strategy would be encouraged. Right now everybody runs and tries to get some kills, and the ultimate tactics are "all to FAAAALG", "someone watch that backladder" and "keep that fucking door closed". Formations and tactical proceeding (e.g. in siege - xbows and archers lay down covering fire on an important tower, ladder guy gets ladder up on that tower, melee goes up, cleans it out, archers follow up, people group up with shielders front and sides when they go against fortifications with lots of missiles coming down, and so on... ) are rarely seen, and it it considered "boring" or even "leeching" if you stand watch at a strategically important position and STAY there, even if the enemy does not show up after 30 milliseconds. Not sure HOW this could be done - ideas include hitpoints-based toplists, bonus points for useful actions (being at flag when capturing/saving, bringing down a gate, etc.), a command structure (like the basic formation commands in single player), maybe a "General" or "Warlord"-class with proven tactical track record, etc.

- balancing weapons with emphasis on bringing damage down to realistic levels, not ramping everything up until we throw nukes at the ponyriders.

- setting battles to "slow" speed (is there such a thing?) would make things calm down a bit and make room for more strategy and team communication. Right now everything is in (modest) timelapse, so even more jump&slash and pure reflexes, less thinking.

just my 2c.
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 04:59:55 am »
Probably just a phase of burn-out Shovel.  It happens.  I'm going through one right now in fact.  Been playing Global Agenda for something different the past 2 weeks, but especially the past 3 days and I just downloaded and started playing a game someone else mentioned called Vindictus (sp?).  Basically it's like D3 before D3 hits and I'm diggin it.  Obviously warband and c-rpg are still far more skill based than Vindictus, but the story is engaging enough for me (I like rpg stories and cinematic cut scenes) to hack my way through dungeons and get a chuckle.  Also got the DA2 demo and blazed through that, might have to pre-order it.

Not going anywhere permanently though, cRPG is still by far the coolest game out.  But it's good to step away for a little bit now and then just to get a breather imo.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline 1slander

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Timing that sidestep is key to the 1h battle axe
    • View Profile
  • Faction: NORD
  • Game nicks: Araios, Pallas, Hammer. Formerly DRAC & Duke_of_Hazard
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 08:08:03 am »
I also have felt the burnout.  Can't put my finger on it.  Things changed at patch.  I'm not boo'ing the patch but something is missing.  I feel like things need a change or we will start losing people.  Though I have no suggestion as to what it is. 

Is upkeep not enough?  Is gear too cheap?  Somehow the challenge is not there and I see it taxing the playerbase.  Big changes needed perhaps.  The current play to 31 then reroll thing is gimp I think, I feel it's the downfall of the current patch system.

Float like a butterfly sting like an axe