Author Topic: Lolstab range  (Read 12858 times)

Offline v/onMega

• Count
  • Renown: 234
  • Infamy: 67
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_vMega
Re: Lolstab range
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2011, 02:23:19 pm »
The 2h stab is a lot easier to counter that it seems, if you have LHB for example all you have to do is downblock than, unless you are a low-agi build you will have time to release a sideswing, that has enough range to hit your opponent, just make sure you advance if he backpedals. And if you ever try it you will see that if not used properly, the lolstab bounces easily, and if it bounces you get the same staggering effect as from polearm stun and usually gets you killed.

As for the nerfing, range speed and damage are fine but the prices for the mid-tier hafted polearms should be doubled, so they fit their 2h counterparts (for example with german greatsword+medium 10k armor I have a total gear price of 35k so I have to wear lighter armor to keep up with the upkeep, while a person who uses LHB/Glaive/LHSM can use his medium armor all the time and go with heavier armor from time to time). Also the STR requirements should be a lot higher, something like 16 STR for LHB/Glaive, 18 STR for Long Hafted Spiked Mace. 2h STR requirements should be increased as well.

+1 for that.

Just by using polearms now:

Allthough some are limited in att. diections...they can be used really effectively. Some, specially one, have a really good dmg output.

I dont see any reason  to change anything maybe some prices.

P.S: Are there any plans to nerf LHB or LHSM?

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2011, 02:25:21 pm »
+1 for that.

Just by using polearms now:

Allthough some are limited in att. diections...they can be used really effectively. Some, specially one, have a really good dmg output.

I dont see any reason  to change anything maybe some prices.

P.S: Are there any plans to nerf LHB or LHSM?

i would like to make these changes:
higher price for the mid-high tier polearms
higher requirements for the mid-high tier polearms

shorter range for 2H thrusts (read all my other posts for reasons)

and i've heard rumors on some nerfs coming on those 2 weaps, but nothing official

Offline Punisher

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Punisher
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2011, 03:44:17 pm »
The thing is if 2h loses the stab range (that is already considerably shorter than pre-patch) some polearms will need a nerf as well or they will be stronger than 2h in just about any aspect. So it's either nerf both, or don't nerf either, in my opinion.

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2011, 03:47:27 pm »
The thing is if 2h loses the stab range (that is already considerably shorter than pre-patch) some polearms will need a nerf as well or they will be stronger than 2h in just about any aspect. So it's either nerf both, or don't nerf either, in my opinion.

i have to agree with the fact, that we shouldnt make polearms better than 2H, they should be balanced.
I just can't help to feel, that a 153 length polearm shouldnt be outranged by the stab of a 123 length sword... suggestion for a solution coming soon :D

is it possible to make polearms much less effective at short range?
so a 153 length polearm only does half dmg when you are 75 (m/ft, whatever) away? cause you wouldnt be able to make a clear hit from that distance when the blade is on the end of your stick...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 03:50:00 pm by Torp »

Offline Punisher

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2011, 03:57:35 pm »
i have to agree with the fact, that we shouldnt make polearms better than 2H, they should be balanced.
I just can't help to feel, that a 153 length polearm shouldnt be outranged by the stab of a 123 length sword... suggestion for a solution coming soon :D

is it possible to make polearms much less effective at short range?
so a 153 length polearm only does half dmg when you are 75 (m/ft, whatever) away? cause you wouldnt be able to make a clear hit from that distance when the blade is on the end of your stick...

Don't think it's possible without WSE, so I think for the time being the only adjustment to keep things balanced is increasing str requirement and price for mid-tier polearms, and a general str requirement increase for all weapons.

We could do some tests on the duel server later, I really think you can have the same reach as 2h stab with a right swing, maybe less range with left swing, but I might be wrong.

And I actually plan to switch to polearms once I hit 31, so I will have the chance to be at the other end of the lolstab, at least for a retirement :)

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2011, 04:22:13 pm »
Don't think it's possible without WSE, so I think for the time being the only adjustment to keep things balanced is increasing str requirement and price for mid-tier polearms, and a general str requirement increase for all weapons.

We could do some tests on the duel server later, I really think you can have the same reach as 2h stab with a right swing, maybe less range with left swing, but I might be wrong.

And I actually plan to switch to polearms once I hit 31, so I will have the chance to be at the other end of the lolstab, at least for a retirement :)

we can go try it out anytime :D

but i have already made 2 tests with different persons, and the lolstab outranged my long hafted both times.

one of the times i also tried a 175 long voulge, i was able to outrange lolstab with right-swing and stab

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2011, 04:29:09 pm »
we can go try it out anytime :D

but i have already made 2 tests with different persons, and the lolstab outranged my long hafted both times.

one of the times i also tried a 175 long voulge, i was able to outrange lolstab with right-swing and stab

How did you measure the range? If you just used downblock to see when the stab hits, you wouldn't have accounted for the stab bouncing, which it does like to do at extreme range. And how much was the difference between the stab and the lhb swings? I can't imagine it would be a lot.

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2011, 04:30:34 pm »
How did you measure the range? If you just used downblock to see when the stab hits, you wouldn't have accounted for the stab bouncing, which it does like to do at extreme range. And how much was the difference between the stab and the lhb swings? I can't imagine it would be a lot.

i didnt downblock, i waited till it could hit me (two tries on each distance)

and the difference was more than you would imaging, i think the range of a lolstab is equal to the stab of a 165-170 polearm or something like that

Offline Toffi

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Honoured Guard)
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2011, 05:20:18 pm »
I've just been on the duel server and i noticed, that the lolstab outranges all the attacks i can perform with my long hafted blade... by far.
I dont see why a 123 length weapon should outrange a 153 weapon by far, even though it is a sword... it just doesnt make sense to me.
Therefore i think that this should be fixed.

Could you please clarify what you mean by "lolstab" first because I don't have a clue. I only know the lolhammer ;-)

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2011, 05:22:21 pm »
Could you please clarify what you mean by "lolstab" first because I don't have a clue. I only know the lolhammer ;-)

In this case he just means the 2h sword stab. Usually lolstab is used for spinningthrusts though, like phyrex does.

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2011, 05:23:18 pm »
In this case he just means the 2h sword stab. Usually lolstab is used for spinningthrusts though, like phyrex does.

yes you are right, and i know that it is actually just spin-thrusts :D

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2011, 06:17:42 pm »
I'm fairly sure that the stab outranges the long hafted blade, even the right swing. You can only comfortably outrange everything 2h swords can throw at you with a long voulge (which is, however, not a great dueling weapon), but this IS balanced, the new stab is sensible (unlike the old which outranged everything short of a pike), and gives some advantage to the overall more expensive 2h swords, which have shorter sideswings anyway.

The 2h sword stab is fine and sensible, how else would you thrust with a twohanded sword (bar halfswording for extra damage, which is however gimped at the moment)? The old one was silly with 2m range and super-instakill amount of pierce damage, it's fine now.

Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2011, 06:22:42 pm »
I'm fairly sure that the stab outranges the long hafted blade, even the right swing. You can only comfortably outrange everything 2h swords can throw at you with a long voulge (which is, however, not a great dueling weapon), but this IS balanced, the new stab is sensible (unlike the old which outranged everything short of a pike), and gives some advantage to the overall more expensive 2h swords, which have shorter sideswings anyway.

The 2h sword stab is fine and sensible, how else would you thrust with a twohanded sword (bar halfswording for extra damage, which is however gimped at the moment)? The old one was silly with 2m range and super-instakill amount of pierce damage, it's fine now.

so you think it is a good idea that the 123 length sword outranges my 153 length polearm and with it's super-fast stab one-hits my 15 str with 38 armor?

Offline Punisher

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2011, 06:44:00 pm »
Most (if not all) stabbing polearms would 1hit you with 15 str in 38 armor too.

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2011, 06:49:40 pm »
Most (if not all) stabbing polearms would 1hit you with 15 str in 38 armor too.

German greatsword: 30 pierce thurst

LHB: 19 pierce
LHSM: 20 blunt
great long bardiche: 18 pierce
elegant poleaxe: 26 pierce
bec: 26 pierce

the german greatsword has 1,5 times the thrust dmg of the most popular polearms, and the same/more than many of the high tier polearms with the best thrust dmg.