Author Topic: Cavarly is broken  (Read 8485 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Cavarly is broken
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2012, 12:24:08 pm »
The problem isn't the loudness of horses, it's that you can't differentiate between enemy and ally horses based on sound.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2012, 12:35:08 pm »
I would love if it my horse made an arse load of noise.

Some one should code in window shake, so if 10 horsemen come bolting at you your screen shakes like a fucking earthquake.

Leshma you vile human being, I'm already wearing mostly crap, using the cheapest shield, using war darts instead of a lance and riding the second cheapest horse, don't make me slap you!

If the rouncy cost 15-20k maybe, but not x4 the pirce. It would just mean new player would not be able to afford to ride a horse until gen 2, and that would just be fucked. Most of the guys riding cav in NA1 have an arse load of money sitting around, so you aren't really going to see any meaningful drop in horsemen.

The reason the amount of cav has "doubled" (show me your records) isn't because horses don't die from a slight breez anymore, its because riding a horse is fucking awesome fun (and walking is for suckers) and more people have cottened onto the obvious. My rouncey still dies from a couple of bolts, a few arrows (depending on bow blah blah blah) and 2-3 throwing weapons. It can survive 1 Throwing lance now, but its has pretty much no health.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 12:37:20 pm by FRANK_THE_TANK »
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline diez

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2012, 12:55:56 pm »
I think  cavalry is ok now.
Don't forget that the price of the equipment of a horseman is much larger than an infantry man.
Also all of you who whine about cavalry,what do you do about it in the battlefield?My self I tried to play as halberdier...I would mainly protect my team's infantry from cavalry attacks..Most of them would just go back,and the ones who attacked were stopped/killed.It is accurate and realistic for cavalry to destroy shielded infantry and ranged one.Two handers can kill cavalry depending on skill.
All of you want your class to kill everything and be efficient in money.
Shielders are cheap,can kill rangers,2handers,why should they kill cav too?
2handers are ok in money,kill every other inf except ranged that is easy to cover from and can do good with cav.
rangers are ok with money,can do good with everything from a distance....
spears and pikes are cheap and are only good against cav
poleaxes and good vs both inf and cav but are a bit more expensive.
Cavalry suck in money are good vs rangers,shielder,capable vs 2handers and suck vs polearms

I think this balance is ok,just use your polearms more effectively.They should protect their teammates against cav,not other inf.LEARN TO WORK AS A TEAM...The only thing that I dont like about crpg that with the new update archers are waaayy too weak.Just a bit more dmg would be good...

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2012, 01:02:53 pm »
So, if you can't deal with something it is OP?

I will tell you exactly what is your problem: Lack of awareness.
Try looking around you once in a while and turn off any background music.

If you are not smart enough to understand why cavalry players top the scoreboards I will tell you why.
It's for the same reason as it has always been; unaware enemies with no skill whatsoever. Just like you guys who whine right now. You suck bigtime.

I've never had any problems with melee cavalry when I've played on the ground.
Instead it all other classes.

ps
No matter if you are the best duelist of crpg. You still suck if you can't deal with a single horsemen.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2012, 01:20:47 pm »
The problem isn't the loudness of horses, it's that you can't differentiate between enemy and ally horses based on sound.

Yes it is. Surround sound was jacked with. Face a horse and you can hear it, turn around and magically it is a stealth ninja horse. It is a well known fact that you can't hear something behind you!
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2012, 01:25:10 pm »
This. Increase all horse stats a lot (to realistic levels, or even to the super-zero-inertia-frictionless-turbojet-bugs level of "humans" in this game) and make them horrible to control.

Your title says Beta tester, but given the bolded statement, you never actually play as a "human" in this game.  :shock: Unless in real life Humans can't sidestep further than 2 inches left and right at a time  :rolleyes:
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2012, 01:42:15 pm »
in RL humans have this thing called mass and momentum, and this little thing called inertia. Crazy, I know.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 01:43:30 pm by Oberyn »

Offline Stjitalurv

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2012, 01:53:04 pm »
So, if you can't deal with something it is OP?

I will tell you exactly what is your problem: Lack of awareness.
Try looking around you once in a while and turn off any background music.

If you are not smart enough to understand why cavalry players top the scoreboards I will tell you why.
It's for the same reason as it has always been; unaware enemies with no skill whatsoever. Just like you guys who whine right now. You suck bigtime.

I've never had any problems with melee cavalry when I've played on the ground.
Instead it all other classes.

ps
No matter if you are the best duelist of crpg. You still suck if you can't deal with a single horsemen.

I totally agree with you riddaren..

And why many cav top scoreboards? One more thing is because we can cover alot of ground and look for those that are unaware. Every kill gets your team closer to a win and closer to that x5. I think everyone that gets a free kill-chance take it. Its just that with cav you get it more often.  And every time you are unaware in this game you will and should die. Get your awareness skill up and you will notice a big difference. And why not try to help your team by covering an archer or other infantry with a long pike? You will scare off most cav just by equipping a pike or spear. And STICK TOGETHER.

I dont think cav are one bit overpowered. When i meet good players or smart players (teamhelpers) as cav, i have to get all my senses together and try my hardest and use every trick in the book of cavalry to have a chance to take them down. But its quite easy to see if the enemy you are meeting know what to do or not. So those who suck at countering cav will die an embarassing death imho.

Dont come whining now about "when there are 5 cav you have no chance..." You shouldnt have a chance against a group of five cav/ranged/infantry if you have left your group or are playing it stupid. I have seen smart/good players holding off 4-5 cav and killing some of them and dehorsing some and maybe even surviving himself...

Cav are fine.

Edit: I have just retired, and im gonna make a 2 handed cav again i think, maybe a clean 2hander. If i go 2hcav its because i have a champion destrier and I think its very fun to be able to ride. But i wouldnt make a cav 2h without my champ destrier.

I have played through most classes now and i would not lie about my experiences. I have topped scoreboards with every class i have played. I have never chosen a class because its overpowered. I choose what i find fun, and I make them overpowered ;) I dont have much time to play anymore because i got a little kid irl, so i have no time to follow the trend of "overpowered classes" But when i play, i play the game serious, and im trying my very best to be good for my team and to beat others.

Ok. done.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 02:06:20 pm by Stjitalurv »

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2012, 01:55:58 pm »
The whole idea is that because cav costs more to play in upkeep, it will keep the cav population lower. But with the amount of gold you can rake in from one heirloom point, you can afford to ride not just cav, but heavy, plated cav, for generations to come off of it.

The other big problem is the hitboxes. The horses head is a ridiculous small area of snout, and if the rider has a shield and can hold down the right mouse button, especially if they are Heavy cav, they can ride away from most rearing situations fine. Stab into the horses lower side? You hit a shield. Do an overhead from behind when the rider turns slightly? Hit his shield. Try to swing through the body of the horse just a little too high? You hit the shield. It's really bogus how a medium-high shield skill on horseback can protect you from what should be a lot of damage to your mount. Add to this the fact that ranged damage on ponies are pretty wimpy now, and you're going to see a massive influx of cav, as we are.

I mean I saw a Destrier riding around with 2-3 arrows, 2 throwing lances in it's body, and watched it get hit at least once in melee. That is totally redonkulous. High tier throwing should be one of the natural foot counters to cavalry. Pikes and pokey things should be the other, and they are to an extent, but fall very, very flat on heavy cav.

To make matters worse, at least on NA 1, you'll often see one team get almost ALL the cav balanced to their side, and it's really lame. The natural counter to heavy cav at the moment is light-medium cav, but what can you really do when they're all balanced to one team?

So my two-cents on solutions: reinstate ranged damage to horse bodies, alter horse head hitbox to encompass actual head instead of just the tip, and do something to separate the horses body from a shield forcefield. Lastly, work skills like PS, riding, PD, PT more into balance if that's at all possible. Phantom edit.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 02:26:11 pm by Malaclypse »
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2012, 01:57:44 pm »
The whole idea is that because cav costs more to play in upkeep, it will keep the cav population lower. But with the amount of gold you can rake in from one heirloom point, you can afford to ride not just cav, but heavy, plated cav, for generations to come off of it.

The other big problem is the hitboxes. The horses head is a ridiculous small area of snout, and if the rider has a shield and can hold down the right mouse button, especially if they are Heavy cav, they can ride away from most rearing situations fine. Stab into the horses lower side? You hit a shield. Do an overhead from behind when the rider turns slightly? Hit his shield. Try to swing through the body of the horse just a little too high? You hit the shield. It's really bogus how a medium-high shield skill on horseback can protect you from what should be a lot of damage to your mount. Add to this the fact that ranged damage on ponies are pretty wimpy now, and you're going to see a massive influx of cav, as we are.

I mean I saw a Destrier riding around with 2-3 arrows, 2 throwing lances in it's body, and watched it get hit at least once in melee. That is totally redonkulous. High tier throwing should be one of the natural foot counters to cavalry. Pikes and pokey things should be the other, and they are to an extent, but fall very, very flat on heavy cav.

Well stated Malaclypse.  :idea:

Offline Death_Dealer

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
  • to Shish your enemies, see them Kebabed before you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Shishkebab, Ronaldinho, Colossus, Death_Dealer, Brunhild, Whorecraft, Fahishe, Altair
  • IRC nick: Shishkebab
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2012, 02:03:41 pm »
whine about shields dude not the cav

Offline Rhombeus

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Werdume
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2012, 02:22:45 pm »
Cav should be more expensive, a horse plus feed plus livery costs a fortune, always has. In this mod they are 2 a penny and way to cheap. I agree they should be devistating in combat. But there should be less of them around. Simple.

Offline Maximus101

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Merciless_Takeolan
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2012, 02:22:50 pm »
If you are shit, go cav.
Make horse reapair rates the same as arrows.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 02:41:49 pm by Maximus101 »

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2012, 02:48:28 pm »
To those who are suggesting upkeep, or repair chance increases:

You're getting the wrong end of the solution. This suggested change will not effect those players, who are sitting on millions of gold.
Don't even have to be millions, just a good enough amount.

Think a bit ahead.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2012, 02:58:22 pm »
Cav are balanced. There are simply to many of them (makes it crap to play cav now...to crowded). Simple solution is fixed ranged. It was obvious that if ranged got nerfed then cav numbers would explode.

Cav should be more expensive, a horse plus feed plus livery costs a fortune, always has. In this mod they are 2 a penny and way to cheap. I agree they should be devistating in combat. But there should be less of them around. Simple.

Cav already costs a shit ton. Besides...upkeep changes don't actually make a difference, all I'd have to do is sell 1 loom point to play it happily for several gens. Marketplace wooo.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 02:59:46 pm by Overdriven »