Author Topic: The State of Archery in cRPG - all fear the machine gun bows  (Read 13544 times)

Offline Aseldo

• Baron
  • Renown: 147
  • Infamy: 80
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • you reading this?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Egad_Captain_TKoV
  • IRC nick: Egad
Re: The State of Archery in cRPG - all fear the machine gun bows
« Reply #105 on: February 01, 2012, 03:17:42 am »
Mr. Shine marry me...this is what I've been trying to tell people that don't use archery but still think its op :(

Offline Aseldo

• Baron
  • Renown: 147
  • Infamy: 80
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • you reading this?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Egad_Captain_TKoV
  • IRC nick: Egad
« Reply #106 on: February 01, 2012, 03:18:54 am »
I'd much rather see some tests where the archer has a decent PD, targets are moving, and where there's certainty about IF. I can see that it's a relatively high strength build, and being NA, the target dummy might have a lot of health. Perhaps the 0.260 patch changes were felt slightly harder in the NA?

Otherwise, my experience is as Dezi's, I have 47 body armor, 50 head and 5IF and it usually takes 3-6 arrows to take me down from what I reckon is a decent archer, sometimes  I lose as much as 60% health (might be a bolt though) and I've yet to be shot in the head without dying.

All headshots you mean?

sorry double post...im trash
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 03:20:18 am by Aseldo »

Offline Gristle

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BRD
  • Game nicks: Gristle_BRD
« Reply #107 on: February 01, 2012, 05:54:46 am »
I've never really played a thrower so I can't say... but I can only imagine how much it sucks right now. 

Anyways, one more vid up that I added to OP (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98qKu-_9YM0&feature=plcp&context=C31e32f0UDOEgsToPDskKt0Fu0g_obCDFz5qMd8_5m)

I still have a bunch and will add them slowly if people are interested... I think it helps to see an archer "in action".  But I'm not loading another one cause I want to play!  (on my main that is..)

See if you can edit it into one long, "A Day in the Life of an Archer" montage. I'd make one if I had a decent amount of room on my hard drive.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 05:56:00 am by Gristle »

Offline Rangerbob

• Knight
  • Renown: 40
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rangerbob
« Reply #108 on: February 01, 2012, 08:15:10 am »
+1
I'm not saying that archery isn't over nerfed but as a direct result of the archery nerf the number of CRPG players has increased by a decent margin.  Archers make the game alot less fun for everyone else.

Offline _Sebastian_

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
  • Lazy Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Bad Bug Busters
  • Faction: Flat-Earth Reptilian
  • Game nicks: Fenris_Sebastian
« Reply #109 on: February 01, 2012, 10:52:48 am »
Archers make the game alot less fun for everyone else.
Yes, like cavalry and also infantry :rolleyes:

Everyone who hit or kill someone destroyes the fun... doesn't matter which class.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 01, 2012, 12:10:41 pm »
Yes, like cavalry and also infantry :rolleyes:

Everyone who hit or kill someone destroyes the fun... doesn't matter which class.

The fun-destroying aspect often is the first thing invoked when people lobby for ranged nerfs. But of course they are all wrong ? I'm sorry I've never seen anyone complain about infantry destroying their fun. I do have about cavalry, but certainly not as much as ranged (at least before this patch)

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 818
  • Infamy: 85
  • "Bloody peasant archers!"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Head)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tenne; Guard_The_Biscuits; Guard_Bugden; Guard_Tennenuff
  • IRC nick: Tennenoth
« Reply #111 on: February 01, 2012, 12:24:50 pm »
The fun-destroying aspect often is the first thing invoked when people lobby for ranged nerfs. But of course they are all wrong ? I'm sorry I've never seen anyone complain about infantry destroying their fun. I do have about cavalry, but certainly not as much as ranged (at least before this patch)

No one likes being killed by something that is nowhere near them, of course people will find ranged as a more fun destroying class, although I have to say that useless cavalry who take a hell tonne of attempts to kill you because you can't attack back is one of the most annoying things this game has. You know, the ones who miss you, come back round for another attempt, chicken out and miss again, and repeat that until you they end up bumping you to death because your light armour can't stand up to it.

That's my most fun destroying thing in the game, of course I have a moan about it but people really dislike range, hence the lobby for nerfs, because they feel they can't do anything to avoid the death and it's unfair. My take on this whole thing of course, but as I've said before, it's still perfectly viable to run around with a longbow or any bow for that matter, although it's easier to use a faster, more accurate bow than one of the heavies and there has been a migration towards these for the people who could get hold of a loomed version of the pew pew bows.

I don't mind either way as long as it's still viable.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

BullDog Clan member since 31/08/2010 / Caravan Guild member since 03/08/2010

How to understand what I say.
Always finish your tea and biscuits regardless of how terrible they are

Offline _Tak_

• Earl
  • Renown: 459
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Retired Dev of FI2
    • View Profile
    • mod :D
  • Game nicks: LC
« Reply #112 on: February 01, 2012, 12:27:15 pm »
1 Arrow to my horse's head = Dead, although i still like the fun of bumping archers, I have 10 riding so my horse has more HP and more charge, Epic :D

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 01, 2012, 12:36:41 pm »
I'm not saying that archery isn't over nerfed but as a direct result of the archery nerf the number of CRPG players has increased by a decent margin.  Archers make the game alot less fun for everyone else.

alot of peeps pick their wep based on the "op'ness" - they use the weapon/class they use simply because its the most overpowered and not because they like the style or weapon. it happend with the polearm-change. right after patch, i saw tons of players i use to know as 2h and shielders, respec. i dont mind it (not much anyway, i just think its a tiny bit lame but whatever makes ur day - as long as its not destroying MY game :p), i just try to prove the point that archery before was op and therefore alot of players were archers. i like this change. now the archer amount have decreased a little (theres still way too many imo) and makes room for more polearms :p

i use to have an archer, fluke_dk. i recently respec'ed him - not becasue of the archer change but due to the fact that i grew a love for melee :) anyway, he was still archer post-patch and i do not think the patch was a nerf. its a change not a nerf. archers is fine! i still see alot of top score archers (eventho score doesnt matter) pls stop moan and instead adapt like a gamer. and that goes for all of you archer whiners :) try something else for a change? why not go xbow? or try some cav? if you dont like your class, maybe its because you dont play it very well and you may want to try another approach to the game... i dont target anyone in particular, but im just abit fed up with all the moan and whine i read all over forums and in game.

edit: sry for general noobish gramma
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 12:40:34 pm by Sniger »

Offline Gristle

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BRD
  • Game nicks: Gristle_BRD
« Reply #114 on: February 01, 2012, 12:38:44 pm »

Why is it that none of the Melee Only servers never seem to last? You would think they would be wildly popular if ranged is supposed to be such a fun destroyer.

Cheap_Shot's comics had some things to say about infantry players. For example:
(click to show/hide)
(Drawn in response to people saying ranged should be taken out of the game, and the tunatown server.)

Offline Okkam

• Baron
  • Renown: 94
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 01, 2012, 12:44:56 pm »
All this nerfs just embitter different parts of community, therefore public mood became worse and worse.

90% of the updates it's just poorly thought-out «balance patches», 10% something interesting (like market, or at least boring and slow but new Strategus, secondary modes for weapons, etc).

I'm sure, that primary balance (balance of 2010 year) was better. There was utterly broken items (like throwing lance, plated charger, bec de corbin), but I doubt that with new level limit (31 - 34max) it can make same problems. I miss this fast and funny gameplay and amicable community.

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 01, 2012, 12:45:16 pm »
alot of peeps pick their wep based on the "op'ness" - they use the weapon/class they use simply because its the most overpowered and not because they like the style or weapon. it happend with the polearm-change. right after patch, i saw tons of players i use to know as 2h and shielders, respec. i dont mind it (not much anyway, i just think its a tiny bit lame but whatever makes ur day - as long as its not destroying MY game :p), i just try to prove the point that archery before was op and therefore alot of players were archers. i like this change. now the archer amount have decreased a little (theres still way too many imo) and makes room for more polearms :p

i use to have an archer, fluke_dk. i recently respec'ed him - not becasue of the archer change but due to the fact that i grew a love for melee :) anyway, he was still archer post-patch and i do not think the patch was a nerf. its a change not a nerf. archers is fine! i still see alot of top score archers (eventho score doesnt matter) pls stop moan and instead adapt like a gamer. and that goes for all of you archer whiners :) try something else for a change? why not go xbow? or try some cav? if you dont like your class, maybe its because you dont play it very well and you may want to try another approach to the game... i dont target anyone in particular, but im just abit fed up with all the moan and whine i read all over forums and in game.

1 Arrow to my horse's head = Dead

argh sorry for repost, was suppose to edit me old one, i phucked up! lol
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 12:46:18 pm by Sniger »

Offline Arrowblood

• Duke
  • Renown: 508
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Arrowblood
« Reply #117 on: February 01, 2012, 01:09:08 pm »
yesterday i was playing  on siege with my main 18 strength, 0  if archer main. i was wearing a milanese sallet ,heavy gauntlets, heraldic transitional armor and  cased greaves.  Templar Steeve hit me with his MASTERWORK LONGBOW and MASTERWORK TATAR ARROWS. 1 hit stole 3% of of my health.

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 818
  • Infamy: 85
  • "Bloody peasant archers!"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Head)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tenne; Guard_The_Biscuits; Guard_Bugden; Guard_Tennenuff
  • IRC nick: Tennenoth
« Reply #118 on: February 01, 2012, 01:10:38 pm »
yesterday i was playing  on siege with my main 18 strength, if archer main. i was wearing a milanese sallet ,heavy gauntlets, heraldic transitional armor and  cased greaves.  Templar Steeve hit me with his MASTERWORK LONGBOW and MASTERWORK TATAR ARROWS. 1 hit stole 3% of of my health.

That's why you use bodkins when firing at heavy targets.
I'm with the infantry players on this one, it's not that bad, sure it's annoying, but it's not as bad as some people think, just class yourself towards what you want to fight!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

BullDog Clan member since 31/08/2010 / Caravan Guild member since 03/08/2010

How to understand what I say.
Always finish your tea and biscuits regardless of how terrible they are

Offline Arrowblood

• Duke
  • Renown: 508
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Arrowblood