Poll

Balance Heavy Cav?

Yes
31 (53.4%)
No
27 (46.6%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: Heavy Cav  (Read 2861 times)

Offline BADPLAYERold

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 362
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PRO
  • Game nicks: BADPLAYER
Re: Heavy Cav
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 01:44:04 am »
I used to use a Champion Cataphract for quite a while and I have to say it's very OP, I could get stopped by long spears 3-4 times and my horse would survive even while other melee slash at it from the sides. I don't think upkeep balances it either because if you ride a horse like that you have a good chance of almost always having x5, I always broke even riding a Cataphract.

As Bear says I think armoured horses should take alot of ranged damage but still take very few melee hits so you have to be careful and are punished for being reckless.

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 02:09:29 am »
I used to use a Champion Cataphract for quite a while and I have to say it's very OP, I could get stopped by long spears 3-4 times and my horse would survive even while other melee slash at it from the sides. I don't think upkeep balances it either because if you ride a horse like that you have a good chance of almost always having x5, I always broke even riding a Cataphract.

As Bear says I think armoured horses should take alot of ranged damage but still take very few melee hits so you have to be careful and are punished for being reckless.
If you are really reckless with a heavy horse, getting stopped by a polearm once can easily get you killed thanks to heavy horses having crap acceleration speed.

Offline Dede

• Count
  • Renown: 161
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 02:43:56 am »
Currently though it takes me, a melee with 8 ps and a danish probably 10+ hits to kill a cata,

It depends on what part of the horse you hit. With 2 well placed hits do the head of the horse you should be able to kill a cata. It is much easier to kill the rider. Why are some players trying desperately to kill the Heavy horse.You are even able to kill a well armored Rider(IF6) with an one handed weapon with only one hit.(Of course, cav at full speed).

Heavy cav have pros and cons:
+ hp & armor (allows you also to face 2h and polearm inf frontally, without fearing to get dehorsed by one hit)
+ bumpdamage
- slow (easy target for ranged and light cav)
- maneuver (after the lance angle nerf this has become more important for lancers)
- high upkeep

PS: I am also using a Cata, but I cant use it all the time.(upkeep) Most of the time I play Siege naked with a Staff, to gain some gold in order to play as Heavy cav.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 02:57:58 am »
I am a light cav,  so no bias here.  Imo horses are fine,  the shield forcefields however make them the tanks they are,  also making the rider immune to many attacks.
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 06:13:16 am »
+1
The shield force-field is obnoxious and should be fixed at some point in the future.

If SOMETHING else HAD to be altered though, I'd suggest increasing the armor of the heavy horses, and decreasing their Hitpoints, to keep them less vulnerable to light ranged fire and light melee attacks, but more vulnerable to heavy ranged and heavy melee attacks.

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2012, 01:07:45 pm »
You can easily get away with your horse because all inf reacts the same :

When cav gets stopped, the angry mob kill whore infantry will always jump and do an overhead on the rider.
non noob cav will just hold upblock > win

how infantry should react : attack the horse with side swings, then when the rider is on the ground overhead him

sadly enough the first case is what happens 95% of the time, and i admit i sometimes also get carried away by my bloodthirst and apply the first case scenario.
attack the horse, unlike it's rider, it cant block...

play smart
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 01:09:15 pm by Lactose_the_intolerant »

Offline a_bear_irl

• Duke
  • Renown: 540
  • Infamy: 252
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2012, 01:20:10 pm »
+1
overhead is the only real option (besides backing up and stabbing) when you're in the mob surrounding a stopped horse, no room to sideswing
FREE ALLERS

Offline a_bear_irl

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2012, 01:24:10 pm »
It depends on what part of the horse you hit. With 2 well placed hits do the head of the horse you should be able to kill a cata. It is much easier to kill the rider. Why are some players trying desperately to kill the Heavy horse.You are even able to kill a well armored Rider(IF6) with an one handed weapon with only one hit.(Of course, cav at full speed).

Heavy cav have pros and cons:
+ hp & armor (allows you also to face 2h and polearm inf frontally, without fearing to get dehorsed by one hit)
+ bumpdamage
- slow (easy target for ranged and light cav)
- maneuver (after the lance angle nerf this has become more important for lancers)
- high upkeep

PS: I am also using a Cata, but I cant use it all the time.(upkeep) Most of the time I play Siege naked with a Staff, to gain some gold in order to play as Heavy cav.

you might not be able to afford to ride around on a cata for very long but most "veteran" cav players can, selling even one loom point would set you up for probably 6+ months. also decent light cav is rare and with the recent ranged nerf only the more powerful ranged weapons can present much of a threat to heavy cav horses.
FREE ALLERS

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2012, 01:28:11 pm »
you might not be able to afford to ride around on a cata for very long but most "veteran" cav players can, selling even one loom point would set you up for probably 6+ months. also decent light cav is rare
/Quit topic and never come back

Offline a_bear_irl

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2012, 01:30:12 pm »
on NA there's huey newton and uhhhhhhh

cyranule? who doesnt even play anymore?

edit: and as your own tournament showed, the cav skill levels on NA are so much higher they beat you on EU servers

edit2: i run around with about 50k in gear cost and make money, you could do a large warhorse+decent armor+heavylance/sidearm for about 65
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 01:36:56 pm by a_bear_irl »
FREE ALLERS

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 620
  • Infamy: 1749
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2012, 04:07:48 pm »
Most of the time I play Siege naked with a Staff, to gain some gold in order to play as Heavy cav.

Siege is waste of time. Change your banner to ninja, enter rageball server, check is khorin online, if he is then profit :D

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2012, 06:49:43 pm »
sadly yes, when you'v got only the overhead option, it's when you are surrounded by angry team mates and in most cases the damage inflicted to the horse will be inferior to the damage dealt in between teamates (horsehate can make most player enter in berserk mode)
I generally try to stay out of the horde

but if there isnt any, or little team mates around, side swing!

heavy cav isnt a eu problem, they are well regulated by light cav and no heavy horse rider comes to my mind

You come to post that heavy horses are op, then proceed to rule out all eu from the conversation cuz USA won the cav tournement?

(i dont make money with 50k equipment)

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2012, 06:57:08 pm »
+1
Shield forcefield is a bigger problem than heavy cav stats.

Or 2h cav is OP.
Turtles

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2012, 08:42:40 pm »
on NA there's huey newton and uhhhhhhh

cyranule? who doesnt even play anymore?

edit: and as your own tournament showed, the cav skill levels on NA are so much higher they beat you on EU servers

edit2: i run around with about 50k in gear cost and make money, you could do a large warhorse+decent armor+heavylance/sidearm for about 65

Tommyhu (who's been playing more now) and Reinhardt are some kick ass light cavalry.  I'm usually hit or miss, but I consider myself to be pretty good light cavalry when I'm playing well.

I added it up and my normal gear costs 49k gold and I lose about 20-30k gold over a gen.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Stabby_Dave

• Count
  • Renown: 197
  • Infamy: 34
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Stabby_Dave, Squelch, Dave_The_Longbowman, Faggy_Dave
  • IRC nick: Stabby
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2012, 10:48:36 pm »
Tommyhu (who's been playing more now) and Reinhardt are some kick ass light cavalry.  I'm usually hit or miss, but I consider myself to be pretty good light cavalry when I'm playing well.

I added it up and my normal gear costs 49k gold and I lose about 20-30k gold over a gen.

Most of the awesome EU cav quit now or barely play anymore. TomMmy and Oberyn barely play and theyre 2 of the best. Dede is one of the best atm I think.

On the topic of OP heavy cav. Yes, heavy horses are very survivable against melee and even more so against ranged now BUT they do cost a shit load to upkeep so while we do need balance for heavy cav I dont think that should necessarily mean a nerf. If there is a nerf, for example a hp/armour nerf, then upkeep should also be lowered a little.