Poll

Balance Heavy Cav?

Yes
31 (53.4%)
No
27 (46.6%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: Heavy Cav  (Read 2856 times)

Offline a_bear_irl

• Duke
  • Renown: 540
  • Infamy: 252
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Heavy Cav
« on: January 23, 2012, 11:37:07 pm »
+2
Heavy Cav has needed a nerf for a while. On NA at least, the 5 riding armored horses are very common.

The main problem with heavy cav is that they're nearly unkillable as melee, catas for instance can get stopped in the middle of a clump of melee and ride off multiple times (this is also thanks to the ridiculous forcefield on the elite cav shield).

In my opinion the heavy horses should be mostly immune to ranged, arbs or throwing lances should still take them down but your standard archer scrub with a hornbow shouldn't be able to do much to them - but if they get stopped in melee they should die. I think this is the ideal balance because it gives people a good reason to ride them (avoid being dehorsed by ranged), but you still need to be careful to do well.

Currently though it takes me, a melee with 8 ps and a danish probably 10+ hits to kill a cata, and if the rider is looking to the side and holding up an elite cav shield even overheads from directly behind get blocked.

I think most players will agree with this, the main problem is how to implement it. The horses still need to be tough enough to give them the desired archer immunity, but also need to be killable by melee players. badplayer i think suggested a multiplier, maybe horse HP could be increased and armor decreased (since cut is much more prevalent among melee players, pierce more common among ranged)

I wouldn't even really call this a nerf, the toughness vs melee has been out of control for a long time and even heavy cav players agree.
FREE ALLERS

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: Heavy Cav
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 11:46:02 pm »
I would be fine with heavy cav being tough to kill with arrows if there was some way for melee to beat them up easier. I kinda wish there was a way to buff some weapons to have "bonus against Cav."

Otherwise though, bowmen do need to be able to take them out rather well as currently we need a predator.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 11:50:19 pm by Tears of Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Okkam

• Baron
  • Renown: 94
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 11:46:53 pm »
more you play, more unbalanced your opponent become, ye?

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 11:50:00 pm »
For 3k+ upkeep per tick, i find it kind of fair that my cata is barely worth the money , compared to a champion light horse."Balance" it not, thanks.

Ranged will most probably be un-nerfed imo, that should solve the increased anti-cav moaning.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 11:50:54 pm »
Ranged will most probably be un-nerfed imo, that should solve the increased anti-cav moaning.

cmp says otherwise. "tweaks" are in the future.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Ujin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 11:51:41 pm »
Also forgot to mention how easy it is to dehorse any heavy cav via couch lancing .1-2 couched lances and even a plated charger will go down.

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 11:52:49 pm »
Lower the resistance they have on blunt damage if it's even possible so they remain great moving tanks since most people use cut and archers have cut or pierce and we will maybe see more diversity on the maps.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 11:52:53 pm »
On NA you are considered a disgrace if you let your Cav get couched  :lol: Though I suppose if a light Cav is hunting a heavy to couch it then you might have a chance against equal skilled players.

Offline Ujin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 11:54:44 pm »
On NA you are considered a disgrace if you let your Cav get couched  :lol: Though I suppose if a light Cav is hunting a heavy to couch it then you might have a chance against equal skilled players.
Never had problems dehorsing heavy cav with my champ. destrier, the only heavy EU cav that managed to more or less avoid it was Reyiz.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 11:59:21 pm »
+1
Never had problems dehorsing heavy cav with my champ. destrier, the only heavy EU cav that managed to more or less avoid it was Reyiz.

Reyiz is very good though.

Only annoying part with cav is the wonky forcefield of the shield of the rider. The amount of times I've stabbed, hacked or shot at the horse for the shield to magically suck it up is continuously growing, and it's very frustrating to say the least. When you hit the horse, you should hit the horse, not get your attack magically sucked up by the shield of the rider.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 12:07:33 am »
Reyiz is very good though.

Only annoying part with cav is the wonky forcefield of the shield of the rider. The amount of times I've stabbed, hacked or shot at the horse for the shield to magically suck it up is continuously growing, and it's very frustrating to say the least. When you hit the horse, you should hit the horse, not get your attack magically sucked up by the shield of the rider.

QFT

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 12:09:18 am »
"It should be easier for melee to kill"

Where have I heard this line before....oh yeah!  Every single nerf that has happened to cav and ranged since the dawn of crpg!!

Forget it.  Cav is fine in all its incarnations.  Cataphracts are indeed very tough horses, but the upkeep alone makes it balanced. 

Wants a melee weapon that has bonus against cav?  How about pikes, longspears, and pretty much anything that's long and pointy. :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 12:13:35 am by Garison »

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 12:09:42 am »

In my opinion the heavy horses should be mostly immune to ranged, arbs or throwing lances should still take them down but your standard archer scrub with a hornbow shouldn't be able to do much to them

Having such a thing would be awesome for everything

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1092
  • Infamy: 1543
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 12:31:08 am »
+2
For 3k+ upkeep per tick, i find it kind of fair that my cata is barely worth the money , compared to a champion light horse."Balance" it not, thanks.

Balancing based on upkeep is bullshit and you know it. There are far too many of us who don't give a damn about upkeep costs.

Also, you usually sit on x5 most of the time...

Offline Ujin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 12:45:43 am »
Balancing based on upkeep is bullshit and you know it.
No , i don't . Otherwise you'd see me using my champion cata +heavy armor on every map.