Poll

Balance Heavy Cav?

Yes
31 (53.4%)
No
27 (46.6%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: Heavy Cav  (Read 2855 times)

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
Re: Heavy Cav
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2012, 11:15:12 pm »
Most of the awesome EU cav quit now or barely play anymore. TomMmy and Oberyn barely play and theyre 2 of the best. Dede is one of the best atm I think.

I rarely see Leed too, and he's probably the best because of his amazing teamplay coupled with his skills. Torben is probably the best active cavalry player, though Kerrigan is also very good.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline a_bear_irl

• Duke
  • Renown: 540
  • Infamy: 252
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2012, 11:19:53 pm »
Tommyhu (who's been playing more now) and Reinhardt are some kick ass light cavalry.  I'm usually hit or miss, but I consider myself to be pretty good light cavalry when I'm playing well.

I added it up and my normal gear costs 49k gold and I lose about 20-30k gold over a gen.

sure there's some, but overall most of the cav you see at the top of the board are on armored horses and there aren't nearly enough good light cav to check them. 
FREE ALLERS

Offline Stabby_Dave

• Count
  • Renown: 197
  • Infamy: 34
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Stabby_Dave, Squelch, Dave_The_Longbowman, Faggy_Dave
  • IRC nick: Stabby
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2012, 11:27:31 pm »
I rarely see Leed too, and he's probably the best because of his amazing teamplay coupled with his skills. Torben is probably the best active cavalry player, though Kerrigan is also very good.

How could I forget Torben  :P

Offline Stabby_Dave

• Count
  • Renown: 197
  • Infamy: 34
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Stabby_Dave, Squelch, Dave_The_Longbowman, Faggy_Dave
  • IRC nick: Stabby
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2012, 12:06:03 am »
Also, on eu 1 atm and basically 1 in 3 people have a spear or pike of some kind and all the top players are 2 handers so cav is not always on top.

Offline BADPLAYERold

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 362
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PRO
  • Game nicks: BADPLAYER
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2012, 12:54:38 am »
/Quit topic and never come back

Well it just depends on how much you win and what gear you are using, In my past 4-5 Gens of only being on a Cataphract Horse in Cavalry Robes/Heraldic Mail the most I lost was 20k gold in a gen and I gained a bit of gold in one of them. If you are using alot heavier armour I guess you would lose gold but it's really not needed so long as you use a shield and just let the horse take the hits.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2012, 10:22:55 am »
+6
An ideal nerf in my eyes would be nerfing the hell out of shield skill when on horseback.  What these heavy cav players do is get themselves into one terrible situation after another that should lead to their death, but if they hold right click down and waggle their character around them AND their horse become impervious to melee attacks, except maybe the horse's head at a perfect angle.  Above, below, and wrapped around the sides of the shield, is a gigantic and often perplexing forcefield that absolutely has to go.

If the shield only blocked directly in front of the rider, I guarantee heavy cav users will find themselves taking way more damage each round, leading to earlier dismounts, and less of the HOLY SHIT HORDE OF CAV factor that ruins the servers, all round every round.

This would have the nice benefit of further empowering melee classes to pick up the slack that ranged leaves, making everyone (except ranged) happier, which is how it should be.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 12:31:26 pm by Smoothrich »
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2012, 05:42:56 pm »
Ok, I agree that the shield force-fields could use a fix because this is really kind of messed up and weird.  But stop nerfing things!   

I mean, forget Cataphracts..have any of you tried to kill a Plated Charger?  It can be done, but to do it consistently you need teamwork and patience.  So don't nerf the horse stats...just buff teamwork and patience.   :wink:

At the same time, the point of taking a heavy horse is that it is a lot tougher and can run into a group of inf and have a chance of riding out alive.  That is their purpose...shock troops, or chargers (hence the name)....as opposed to picking on stragglers and peasants only.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 05:44:38 pm by Garison »

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2012, 05:43:49 pm »
have any of you tried to kill a Plated Charger?  It can be done, but to do it consistently you need teamwork and patience.  So don't nerf the horse stats...just buff teamwork and patience.   :wink:

And remove shield forcefield on horseback
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2012, 05:56:41 pm »

Yes yes, that was the 1st thing I mentioned.  I think the problem is that while on foot the shield protects player model including the legs, and this by extension protects a large part of the horse when the shielder is riding.  This is true even for very small shields.  I wonder if its possible to make the character's legs vulnerable while on horseback holding a shield.  This would solve it.

Has anyone ever used a buckler on horseback?  I bet this would look really funny. :)

Offline Dede

• Count
  • Renown: 161
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2012, 09:35:03 pm »
...In my past 4-5 Gens of only being on a Cataphract Horse in Cavalry Robes/Heraldic Mail the most I lost was 20k gold in a gen and I gained a bit of gold in one of them. If you are using alot heavier armour I guess you would lose gold but it's really not needed so long as you use a shield and just let the horse take the hits.
A few days ago I lost about 60k in one day. I'd be a millionaire if I did not use the cata up now. :)

I wonder if the size of the protecting area is based on shieldskill. With 2 skillpoints I find it not that OP.
Most cav use shield for an other reason (ranged).

Offline Felix_Iron

• Knight
  • Renown: 27
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sword Brothers
  • Game nicks: SB_Felix_Iron
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2012, 11:21:54 am »
+2
Shield forcefield? Ok fix it, then fix lance block forcefield for light lancer cav. When lance block protect a horse legs, then fix all forcefields and disable shield skill forcefield.
A few days ago I lost about 60k in one day. I'd be a millionair...
+100500
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 11:40:47 am by Felix_Iron »

Offline Felix_Iron

• Knight
  • Renown: 27
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sword Brothers
  • Game nicks: SB_Felix_Iron
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2012, 11:26:52 am »
.del

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2012, 06:52:55 pm »
An ideal nerf in my eyes would be nerfing the hell out of shield skill when on horseback.  What these heavy cav players do is get themselves into one terrible situation after another that should lead to their death, but if they hold right click down and waggle their character around them AND their horse become impervious to melee attacks, except maybe the horse's head at a perfect angle.  Above, below, and wrapped around the sides of the shield, is a gigantic and often perplexing forcefield that absolutely has to go.

If the shield only blocked directly in front of the rider, I guarantee heavy cav users will find themselves taking way more damage each round, leading to earlier dismounts, and less of the HOLY SHIT HORDE OF CAV factor that ruins the servers, all round every round.

This would have the nice benefit of further empowering melee classes to pick up the slack that ranged leaves, making everyone (except ranged) happier, which is how it should be.

I'd have to agree.  I think the force-field effect is even worse (larger) when people are manually blocking from horse back than with a shield.  It seems like a down block will block half way down the horses body.  Half the time when I'm aimed as low as I can on a thrust it still gets blocked (and blocks the horse) from a manual block. 

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline oohillac

• Marshall
  • Renown: 724
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player
  • boys don't cry
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2012, 11:16:12 pm »
I've always considered heavy cav as being allowed to make mistakes:

-get slashed by people
-get shot

as well as have major charge damage/disruptive abilities.

But because that heavy cav can charge into polearms, get reared, and often SURVIVE AND RIDE AWAY because of shield forcefield, something needs to be done. Very frustrating when I jab at a reared horse's head and instead hit the shield through the horse's neck. Same with archery, a lot of the time my horse headshots from angles would peg the shield somehow.

Being reared is the kind of mistake that should leave any cav dead.

Otherwise, it seems balanced based on the repair costs, which really hurt after a few hours.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2012, 04:43:26 am »
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are not "nearly unkillable". Just hit them with a fucking weapon.

I've said it way to many times, and I'm going to say it again.

If you want to know how to fight a class, play that class. Once you've played cav you know how to move and how to kill them FULL STOP THE END GET OVER IT!
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(