Poll

Do you think that repairs should be banned? (Re-edited for smart asses)

Yes
No
No just reduce the costs

Author Topic: downsizing or plain getting rid of repairs (Reasons why)  (Read 3262 times)

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
Re: downsizing or plain getting rid of repairs (Reasons why)
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 12:03:54 pm »
This used to be an exploit, it has since been fixed. You don't have to repair for lvls 1-25, unless you respec in which case you start repairing immediately.

Honestly I don't think giving newbies the first 25 levels free of repair is good. I see too many of them grabbing the heaviest, most expensive equipment they can during this time, then when upkeep hits all they have is plate and have to sell it all. Making upkeep hit from the very beginning makes it easier to ease into it, as they start with low tier equipment and can balance upkeep cost with income as they go, rather than getting hit by it all at once with good gear.

Just because some newbies are complete morons with their gear doesn't mean all are. I see no reason to punish those good at financial planning for the idiocy of those who are not. There are dozens of guides and dozens of players who let newbies know exactly what level of gear to expect to be able to handle, if they choose to blast ahead for black plate, so be it on them.

Offline _Tak_

• Earl
  • Renown: 459
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Retired Dev of FI2
    • View Profile
    • mod :D
  • Game nicks: LC
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 12:26:11 pm »

It's so newbies can make some money before they get hit by upkeep, not so people can use plated chargers in black armor forever.

Me

Nah, i meant the Plated Charger, i do not really want war elephants.
When i see a Plated Charger on the field right now i always go d'awwww, they just look so hilarious with their tank like armor plates and all.

Anyway i just updated it :D

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 02:40:51 pm »
*Sigh*

Okay, let's try it.

I've been mentioning this on a couple of servers and i have got to say... Alot of the replys where "You will get the best armor straight" Ok This is a load of crap, as it took me 18hours to even get close to buying the armour but by then i was already lvl 26 and had multiple debts

There we already have the first mistake in your assumption: without upkeep you wouldn't have those depts and thus you would be capable of buying the best armour much sooner. And always remember, this game is meant to be played for more than 4 or 8 weeks. (At least it tries to keep up motivation for a longer period than this :-/ )

which leads me onto my next argument that ok i used a normal crossbow (which costs 10k) and first time using without dieing i spent 700 on repairs..... are you kidding i could buy a nice piece of fur armour with that but instead i got a threat note saying "You Might want to fix that" as if the actual server diliberatly destroyed my items

Well, the more powerful an item is, the more upkeep you pay. It's not like you are supposed to buy new items all the time, you do it at the beginning and then later from time to time if you want to try something different. All the additional money you gain can be spent for repairs. The art is to balance your entire item value accodingly.

yeah so the upkeep for any item on this game is ridicolous so im stuck wearing shitty fur which btw there is nothing fun about it...honestly before lvl 26 i played this game 5hours a day thats how amazing it was but since i was burdened with repairs i barely play 30mins without being fustrated at losing all the money i made using teamwork and a feck load of  stimulant drinks....

I would really LOVE to see the equipment you are using. If you are really losing money this would be the proof your sttement would be wrong that you can't afford expensive items after a short time. But if you are not losing money, only getting less than before level 20, I don't know what you are complaining about. Everyone earns money at the same slow rate, some more (light archers), some less (heavy cavalry), but in the end everyone manages to end up with some money earned. 

I know what i'm asking will be most unlikely but if you could atleast decrease the repair costs or alternativly by getting rid of repairs you could always use other ways to stop players for example you could Increase the lvls of all armours so everybody will actually need to concentrate on levels instead of worrying if they will have enough money to repair there little clubs or peseant knives.   Thanks for reading all this, looking forward for the admins agreeing with me :)

Your biased poll says that farming money is bad, but you want a system that motivates players to farm XP? Where is the difference then?

Really, your topic has two general flaws:

1st: you are wrong thinking that upkeep limits you on equipment, slightly better than what a peasant has. Plate armour and one of the best melee weapons are perfectly sustainable.

2nd: you didn't think properly about the effects your suggestion would have. All classes would only use the same items, as you wouldn't have to decide between equipment any more. And, as I said, this would become real much faster than you would have ever thought. Two weeks at the most.

I would really like to see you answer to this topic, instead of just creating it and then letting it die. This helps noone, neither you nor the community.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 03:16:41 pm »
meow, cav is buffed becasue archery was nerfe, but you have to agree that cav has the hardest time to make money/not lose any. the only solutions to that for cav are:
1 go inf half of the time
2 sell looms
3 get crappy gear
4 get a crappy horse

and you have to pick one atleast to make money. cavalry can't be cav imo, you have to sacrifice looms or being cav at all. you shouldn't be forced not to be able to be cavalry, which is already done by some scenes.
you are going to nerf cavalry because that's the only way to reduce the cav fest and i don't really mind, but then please make the repairs on horses lower, because i just want to be cav.

thx
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • Renown: 467
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Relax, it is just a life...
    • View Profile
    • Wanna work with me? Ping for more info!
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Fapulena, Useless
  • IRC nick: Cepeshi
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 03:20:20 pm »
Very fair poll. Stopped reading there.

This. If you want to be taken seriously, make at least an effort for unbiased poll ffs.

Other than that: repairs are fine once you get used to them.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 03:26:13 pm by Cepeshi »

Offline Herkkutatti

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2012, 03:41:04 pm »
Upkeep is Keeping CRPG GOOD because now most of people can't afford  using Tin can armors on many rounds a row. upkeep is fine.

I use too much time to this game and i'm not poor guy like the guy who made this thread, but still i farm gold :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 03:42:06 pm by joosto »
/l
(゚、 。 7
l、 ~ヽ
じしf_, )ノ Nerf archery ,please!

Offline Brrrak

• Earl
  • Renown: 442
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Brrrak
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2012, 06:05:43 pm »
I can't believe people are still to stupid to realize that if you plant a biased poll people here are going to vote against whatever you are pushing towards regardless of what they personally believe.

Beyond that upkeep is a joke.

If you are Gen 1 you get a free set of levels to do nothing but get free money to build a buffer.

If you are beyond Gen 1, why didn't you sell your loom? 1 loom is enough to support heavy cav for multiple generations, don't tell me whatever gear you're using costs significantly more than my mamluk/dhurizina elite/h. lance/gloves + shield.

If you are worried about upkeep you are playing CRPG terribly wrong. The marketplace has destroyed the concept of upkeep being a mitigating factor.

Not only does one loom sale keep you good for even heavy cavalry for a long while, with standard infantry you can sell a loom, buy a loomed item, and have enough to buy plate, roll around in it until your next retirement, and then sell another loom point.  Of course, this is situation-dependent, but I could definitely right now be rolling around with the most expensive armor.

And I'd feel like crap and probably do even worse (is that possible!?) while doing so.

In short, we need to go back to the proximity system.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Nehvar

• Duke
  • Renown: 550
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2012, 08:50:47 pm »
+1
The majority of the people in this game have enough gold to purchase the heaviest armors.  Removing repair costs is just going to drastically increase the number of plate-crutchers and to that I say: Fuck No.
WSE2 gives us the key to a wonderful world of butthurt...

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2012, 09:30:25 pm »
ATM I have 2 million and 200k gold, it would be fakin' amazing if they took away repair but then I would show up in full plate bumping your sorry arse off, and this would make the game unbalanced, so if you dont like the repairs then go play unbalanced Merc mod

Offline Duke

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2012, 02:06:07 am »
I put a - on the OP just for the biased poll, not going to bother reading the post.

Offline Herkkutatti

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2012, 02:15:59 am »
This. And I wear equip of around 35 k up to 45 k and I´m always making good money, alone 30 k today. If I would play with crap peasant gear like Ricky says he does I´d make around 100 k a day, the least. Ridiculous.
i bet you play 20 hours a day?
/l
(゚、 。 7
l、 ~ヽ
じしf_, )ノ Nerf archery ,please!

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2012, 01:09:16 pm »
After patch that added upkeep for each weapon slot I get around 2k repairs every two rounds (mostly worse than this, infact I lost 5k gold yesterday, and the duel server is the only way I can gain gold (besides glitching upkeep which you're sorta trying to get me to do)... I use four throwing lances, monk armor,  a pilgrims hood, and a pair of rus boots... (I also have a heavy set that I barely ever use as I lose money even in armor that in total repairs for around 100 gold.)
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2012, 09:10:21 pm »
Hi, only wanted to let you know that I didn't read your OP because of that fucking biased shithole of a poll.

cheers.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2012, 09:20:00 pm »
I doubt that anyone claiming they would use the uber heavy armors if upkeep was removed have a clue about how helpless people are when they use one.

There's a reason we still have cav, and we only have a negligible amount of tincans, even though cav costs more.

Offline Haze_The_Hobo

• Baron
  • Renown: 139
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pantheon
  • Game nicks: Pantheon_Haze_The_Hobo Haze_Ze_PewPew
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2012, 01:38:53 pm »
Duh, i get so much money while playing i don't even know where to stash them all, i don't trust banks so that is excluded.