Poll

Do we need immediate changes regarding the amount of ranged and cavalry in cRPG ?

Yes
76 (21.2%)
No
86 (24%)
Yes,but only for ranged
67 (18.7%)
Yes, but only for cavalry
20 (5.6%)
No, just remove the roofcamping
109 (30.4%)

Total Members Voted: 357

Voting closed: January 30, 2012, 01:23:06 am

Author Topic: The state of cRPG  (Read 25112 times)

Offline Raki

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Teresa
Re: The state of cRPG
« Reply #150 on: January 10, 2012, 07:41:13 pm »
Umm...would it be an extremely rediculous idea to actually buff melee damage and speed? I mean, ranged has already been nerfed a lot.
- Sure, archers can deal a boatload of damage, but the accuracy doesn't last very long.
- Crossbows can be annoying, but take very long to reload.
- Throwers still deal a lot of damage, but their limited stacksize somewhat limits their viability in larger battles, combined with poor accuracy.

I, as mainly a 2her with an alt of almost every possible class, do however find it rather annoying that melee attacks are very easy to block, leading to very long battles. On top of that, I personally have to get in a lot of hits when fighting an opponent with relatively heavy armor. Usually more than I would need on my 6 PD archer, on which my main gear is a horn bow + bodkins.
My weapon of choice is a MW Danish Greatsword, so that shouldn't be the problem...

Admittedly, my 6 PS "ninja" build isn't supposed to deal tons of damage in a single swing, but it would be nice if a duel between defensive fighters didn't last as long as 3 minutes.

So yeah, call me crazy, but I would like a buff for Two Handed weapons, One Handed weapons (apart from the elite scimitar :P) and Polearms. Seeing polestagger go would definitely make me happy too. :P
Polearm damage buffs might be less important, as one hit is usually followed by a second free hit.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 07:44:34 pm by Raki »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #151 on: January 10, 2012, 07:42:46 pm »
Umm...would it be an extremely rediculous idea to actually buff melee? I mean, ranged has already been nerfed a lot.

That would be nice, but I don't see that happening.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #152 on: January 10, 2012, 09:06:42 pm »
After reading all the pages..

Good job, nice suggestions.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #153 on: January 10, 2012, 09:29:05 pm »
+3
I'd say that pretty much every "imbalance" issue that people perceive has to do with other previous nerfs.  Cav seems OP now (which they aren't, pikes and other cav still counter them).  The reason for this is because Pikes/Long Spears went from 2 slots and unsheathable to being 3 slots and unsheathable.  Lot less pikes on the field now, and a lot more cav. 

So now people suggest "nerf cav!" as the answer, but maybe the answer is to remove a previous nerf...

Seriously fucked up how everyone's instinct is to nerf something, instead of the common sense response of "how can I change my gameplay to counter for this weapon or classes strengths"

Fuck all you whiney bitches who keep ruining the game.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Lorenzo_of_Iberia

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Peloponnesian League
  • Game nicks: Lorenzo_of_Numidia , PL_Hoplitai_Lorenzo
« Reply #154 on: January 10, 2012, 09:33:05 pm »
Its just the roofcamping, it ruins almost every map.

I don't think either class is overly common, they are just more apparent than infantry when there is anomalous amounts of them.
Your local Jav Cav

Looking for like Minded Hoplites? Look no further - http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,22631.0.html

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 10, 2012, 09:34:25 pm »
+2
Its just the roofcamping, it ruins almost every map.

I don't think either class is overly common, they are just more apparent than infantry when there is anomalous amounts of them.
It's over man, it's over. The dawn of a new age.

Offline Remy

• Knight
  • Renown: 68
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remy_the_Fox
  • IRC nick: Remy
« Reply #156 on: January 10, 2012, 09:37:16 pm »
They finally banned Darkoveride!?  :D

Oh thank....wait...ladders...I..mean no more ladders in normal battle yay!

Fox, Horse Archer, Tker of Chagan.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #157 on: January 10, 2012, 09:37:41 pm »
Yeah, why would a ranged unit want to get off the field of battle and on higher ground. 

It's an obvious tactic for a ranged unit to try and avoid enemy infantry and cavalry, it's also an obvious tactic for ranged to get on higher ground.  Why the fuck would you want to take those obvious tactics away from the ranged units?  If they are roofcamping at the end of the round and not supporting their ground troops and cav, then yes that is annoying.  But to take away an obvious "strength" seems retarded.  There's ways to counter archers on roofs, if people are too lazy, dumb or unwilling to take any of the steps to counter it, that is their problem, not the archers using tactics to their advantage.

I just don't understand all the calls for nerfing things that are a "strength" for a certain class or equipment.  It's lazy, and tactically every class or equipment can be countered. 
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 10, 2012, 09:40:10 pm »
It'd also be an obvious tactic for infantry to get ranged-proof armor but that wouldn't be so good for game balance now would it. Even though it could be countered by hitting them in the face.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Lorenzo_of_Iberia

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Peloponnesian League
  • Game nicks: Lorenzo_of_Numidia , PL_Hoplitai_Lorenzo
« Reply #159 on: January 10, 2012, 09:48:22 pm »
+1
It's over man, it's over. The dawn of a new age.

Praise the great Donkey in the sky!
Your local Jav Cav

Looking for like Minded Hoplites? Look no further - http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,22631.0.html

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #160 on: January 10, 2012, 09:51:23 pm »
Like even roof camping proponents in this thread have said, the only counter to roof camping was...more roof camping.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #161 on: January 10, 2012, 09:59:32 pm »
I just don't understand all the calls for nerfing things that are a "strength" for a certain class or equipment.  It's lazy, and tactically every class or equipment can be countered.

So there can never be OP things, just some strengthes, and you shouldn't take away strengthes?

Sorry but it doesn't work this way. You have to CHECK if this strength is BALANCED. If it is not, either nerf this thing or buff the rest.

I do agree with you that pikes need a buff instead of cavalry needing a nerf, but unless you find a way to make infantry and cavalry being completely immune to ranged attacks while still being able to attack, only by using the advantage a map provides (which would be the equal buff for the others to bring them in line with roofcampers) the only possible solution was a nerf.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #162 on: January 10, 2012, 10:06:23 pm »
+1
So there can never be OP things, just some strengthes, and you shouldn't take away strengthes?

Sorry but it doesn't work this way. You have to CHECK if this strength is BALANCED. If it is not, either nerf this thing or buff the rest.

I do agree with you that pikes need a buff instead of cavalry needing a nerf, but unless you find a way to make infantry and cavalry being completely immune to ranged attacks while still being able to attack, only by using the advantage a map provides (which would be the equal buff for the others to bring them in line with roofcampers) the only possible solution was a nerf.
How about a simple xp/gold bonus for anyone spawning with a support polearm? Seems like a rather simple solution that doesn't change mechanics or revert the 3s change.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #163 on: January 10, 2012, 10:08:13 pm »
I would agree to this.  :D
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Haragh

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Napauttaja_von_Perkele
« Reply #164 on: January 10, 2012, 10:24:55 pm »
1. Maximum 1 quiver for archers.
2. More variance in map cycle. Now (at EU1) it's just ruins, desert with few houses, random plains, ruins and so on. There used to be great maps like some forests and swamp maps where battle was not always the same. Problem can be easily solved by adding more variance to maps where battles commence.