Poll

Do we need immediate changes regarding the amount of ranged and cavalry in cRPG ?

Yes
76 (21.2%)
No
86 (24%)
Yes,but only for ranged
67 (18.7%)
Yes, but only for cavalry
20 (5.6%)
No, just remove the roofcamping
109 (30.4%)

Total Members Voted: 357

Voting closed: January 30, 2012, 01:23:06 am

Author Topic: The state of cRPG  (Read 25054 times)

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
The state of cRPG
« on: January 10, 2012, 01:23:06 am »
+29
This is pretty simple.

This is what cRPG is now.

And this is what i remember cRPG for, as well as what i like(d) about it and what i'd like to see more in cRPG.

I may be bad at understanding how balance works, at coding, programming and whatsoever, but i can clearly see that something has to be done. Jokes/trolling (i know, impossible) aside, this is getting sad and boring already.

Dear cRPG developers, please try to do something about the current state of cRPG, people have posted many suggestions recently, like removing ladders, increasing prices for bows and horses and so on. I'm sure with the help of the (reasonable part of the)  community we can figure something out.

It is an endless circle of cRPG where at some point the amount of ranged or cavalry (or both) classes becomes too overwhelming and i think we've reached it again .Don't get me wrong i'm not calling for a nerf per say in terms of stats or damage dealt by archers/xbowmen(debatable)/cavalry , i'm simply talking about finding a way to reduce their numbers.

So i've got a question for the cRPG community, do you think  something should be done ASAP about what cRPG has become , yet again ?

p.s. i have a shield, i am a sword n board + cavalry character . this is not a rage nor a whine topic.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
Re: The state of cRPG
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 01:25:01 am »
+5
Yes, indeed.

Following should be done:

-Revamping map rotation, taking out maps that get a lot of downvotes, OR have unbalanced easy access roofs like that village you show us, they even combined it with ladders there. My god.

-Ladders need to be disabled in battle mode.
 Speaks for itself.

-Balancer needs to equal horses and ranged somehow, getting too much on one team is a terrible experience, if you are on the other side.
I don't know if this is possible, probably by equipment or something, but it would be great.

The main problem, as you descibe it, is their numbers. Do anyone have an idea that's not despotic to solve this? Seriously, I'm all out of ideas on this one. Making it more unattractive somehow.. but that would get a lot of flame, ranged players tend to switch to other ranged classes, if one gets hit by the nerfbat.

Anyone remember the funny Archer-Thrower-Archer migration?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 01:29:50 am by Christo »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 01:31:30 am »
+2
The problem is, that I don't think that cav or ranged are OP atm, (I only think spear-/pikemen are UP, but that's a different story), but they are too popular.

The problem is to lower their attractivity without changing their effectivity. And to be honest, I don't have a clue how to achieve this.  :?
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Ujin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 01:31:57 am »
Yes, indeed.

Following should be done:

-Revamping map rotation, taking out maps that get a lot of downvotes, OR have unbalanced easy access roofs like that village you show us, they even combined it with ladders there. My god.

-Ladders need to be disabled in battle mode.
 Speaks for itself.

-Balancer needs to equal horses and ranged somehow, getting too much on one team is a terrible experience, if you are on the other side.
I don't know if this is possible, probably by equipment or something, but it would be great.

The main problem, as you descibe it, is their numbers. Do anyone have an idea that's not despotic to solve this? Seriously, I'm all out of ideas on this one. Making it more unattractive somehow.. but that would get a lot of flame, ranged players tend to switch to other ranged classes, if one gets hit by the nerfbat.

Anyone remember the funny Archer-Thrower-Archer migration?
It might actually be so that if the ladders get removed, the ranged would become more vulnerable and therefore some of them will respec to melee. So far i like all the suggestions you've posted, can't really say if it can be done in terms of coding though.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 01:33:47 am »
Problem is I read somewhere that chadz doesn't want to remove ladders from battle. He really wants to have them in. But it's hearsay, of course, never read it myself from him personally.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline dado

• Baron
  • Renown: 104
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TWISTED
  • Game nicks: TWISTED_FACE
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 01:35:08 am »
+3
+1 ujin , i pray for removing ladders  :rolleyes:

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 01:36:18 am »
It might actually be so that if the ladders get removed, the ranged would become more vulnerable and therefore some of them will respec to melee. So far i like all the suggestions you've posted, can't really say if it can be done in terms of coding though.

Why Thank you mate.  :wink:

A good theory indeed, it might make ranged less attractive, however I don't really think that this would solve the problem.

About coding, yeah I don't know if the balance tweak is possible or not, or it's liked or not.

But the ladder restriction should be easy to do, and maps can be sorted as well.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 01:37:21 am by Christo »

Offline Ujin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 01:36:34 am »
Problem is I read somewhere that chadz doesn't want to remove ladders from battle. He really wants to have them in. But it's hearsay, of course, never read it personally from him.
Well, all we can do is try over and over and over again till the point where he gets the message the community is trying to bring to him. I'm sure we wouldn't mind seeing another workaround for the problems mentioned above, but so far we can't come up with any other alternatives.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 01:38:23 am »
I heard that rumor too.

But what is the reason?

I never hear about that.

@Ujin:

How old are those pictures?

(Second part)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 01:40:03 am by Christo »

Offline BerG

• Baron
  • Renown: 95
  • Infamy: 66
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusader Aliance
  • Game nicks: SB_BerG
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 01:41:23 am »
Don't remove ladders. Just nerf all bows damage/accuracy. And accuracy is primary.

Oh, forgot one more thing: remove pierce damage type from arrows.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 01:47:12 am by BerG »

Offline Ujin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 01:42:35 am »
I heard that rumor too.

But what is the reason?

I never hear about that.

@Ujin:

How old are those pictures?

(Second part)
Who knows ? We should hire a private detective (or a whole squad of them) to find out.

And those pictures are pretty damn old. Kinda sad , isn't it ?

Offline Stabby_Dave

• Count
  • Renown: 197
  • Infamy: 34
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Stabby_Dave, Squelch, Dave_The_Longbowman, Faggy_Dave
  • IRC nick: Stabby
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 01:44:27 am »
+1
It would be interesting if the devs could post stats as to how many people play what class like in that big survey we did not long ago although data will have changed since recent patches. We may think that there are millions of archers and xbowmen compared to other classes but maybe we just have rage induced paranoia.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 01:44:59 am »
And those pictures are pretty damn old. Kinda sad , isn't it ?

Yeah...

*sigh*

It is.

Offline Ujin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 01:46:36 am »
+2
It would be interesting if the devs could post stats as to how many people play what class like in that big survey we did not long ago although data will have changed since recent patches. We may think that there are millions of archers and xbowmen compared to other classes but maybe we just have rage induced paranoia.
I don't really care about those stats to be honest . I have my own eyes and they definetly don't like what they see lately. And apparently i'm not the only one.

Offline Chagan_Arslan

• Earl
  • Renown: 372
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Chagan_Arslan
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 01:47:01 am »
+2
map makers must stop making village maps and try to be creative with terrain rather than playing with placement of the buildings...

than jacko need to put them in rotation, i think it would help