Poll

Do we need immediate changes regarding the amount of ranged and cavalry in cRPG ?

Yes
76 (21.2%)
No
86 (24%)
Yes,but only for ranged
67 (18.7%)
Yes, but only for cavalry
20 (5.6%)
No, just remove the roofcamping
109 (30.4%)

Total Members Voted: 357

Voting closed: January 30, 2012, 01:23:06 am

Author Topic: The state of cRPG  (Read 24090 times)

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
Re: The state of cRPG
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2012, 02:25:07 am »
+1
Too bad we don't have wind in this engine.

You know one that could change perhaps every map, or every two rounds or so.

It would add a bit of.. spice to the ranged gameplay.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Stabby_Dave

• Count
  • Renown: 197
  • Infamy: 34
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Stabby_Dave, Squelch, Dave_The_Longbowman, Faggy_Dave
  • IRC nick: Stabby
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2012, 02:30:21 am »
MELEE MONDAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Malevolent_Warlord

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Warlords_Axeman, Warlords_Archer, Warlords_Torturer, Warlords_Skirmisher, Warlords_Infantry
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2012, 02:32:24 am »
Archery doesn't bother me really. Roofcamping cunts do on the other hand piss me off. They just spoil the game.
Give them medium armor and and lower the archery wpf so they don't have to run away all day in their peasant gear.
So more hand to hand combat abilites and reduced bow damage.

Cavalry is fine IMO.

But the thing that sucks about this mod is the lack of gear. We are missing all the beautiful armors, shields, helmets and armored horses. One of this mods fun part is creating a historical character with cool clothes. Most players look like frikkin idiots and peasants archers everywhere.

We need nice looking items and no roofcunts pls.
MP nicks: Malevolent_Warlord, Warlords_Axeman, Warlords_Archer, Warlords_Torturer, Warlords_Skirmisher, Warlords_Infantry, Warlords_Clibanarii

Those who are interested in tactics and tips: http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,225.0.html

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2012, 02:50:57 am »
+3
SOLUTION,  bitches:

dont make the other classes less attractive,  make inf  more attractive.

solution 1)  shieldskill increases athletics by 0.5
solution 2)  4 shieldskill= francesca throwing ability.  give franceskas 0 fucking accuracy,  making them only of use if a complete shieldwall throws them simiultaniusly (in a high
                   parabolic manner) and dont make them usable through powerthrow
Solution 3)  add an inf specific skill like power draw or riding that is not shieldskill.  like sprint,  where every skill point doubles run speed for one second.  just spittballing,  seriously.
                   whatever

Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2012, 02:51:08 am »
native like accuracy takes some kind of skill ? i thought it was just point and click

He means that the body shots would take a lot less damage so people would have to do headshots to take significant damage.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Stjitalurv

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2012, 02:56:05 am »
I agree with everything ujin says. You know alot and are a veteran. I totally agree, something must be done. Remove ladders, add more open plains. Or use only open plains with some small hills. This means teamwork is forced. It was much funnier back in the days... Aaaah, those open plains... Yuuuumm* :)

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2012, 03:21:21 am »
dont make the other classes less attractive,  make inf  more attractive.

This is what I thought about, too, although I didn't find any good solution. And I fear your suggestions are not yet the solution, too.

A relatively complicated solution would be this, where certain "basic" classes (infantry, cavalry, ranged) get certain skills either cheaper or more expensive. You can even extend this to certain WPFs.

This way you can give infantry a lot more skills than the other classes, to make them a bit stronger. The only solution I have.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Lizard_man

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 153
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Lizard_man, Jinmenju
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2012, 03:27:48 am »
+1
On a sidenote, is the shieldwall multiplier which is in Strategus, the +2 +3 etc thingy. Not played as a shielder in a while, but if it isn't, it would be a nice addition to c-rpg aswell. We might see alot more shieldwalls, i.e. more teamwork, which would help against ranged. Having said that, the game is rather frustrating sometimes, it isn't so bad when the servers are full, but when the servers are half full and your opponent is pretty much nothing but ranged, it's incredably frustrating. As for cav, they're annoying as fuck, but overall, i have nothing against cav...

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2012, 03:34:25 am »
+3
Here's a rather simple idea: Add a new kind of respec that allows you to respec without an xp loss but not let you put points into riding, PD, archery or crossbows.

Who would this affect? Few people probably, but that's the point. You don't want a huge change and you don't want to change the stats of any of the items.

What would this do: Increase the attractiveness of going melee and nothing else.

Alternatively, you could rescale the effectiveness of shields so that lower tier ones were actually worth taking, so that 2h/poles might actually start putting points into shields. Otherwise, remove shield requirements, let anyone pickup and use any shield they want or, overhaul the whole system.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 03:36:11 am by Tydeus »
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2012, 03:57:47 am »
Word
Turtles

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2012, 04:01:23 am »
Before I get into it, if whats happening on NA1 and EU1 is giving you the shits, try a less populated server.

Adapt or die. Sometimes adapt and die. Seriously though, is it really a huge problem? The issue seems to be team work and battle field awareness of the average player.

The other day with 250 ping and a sumpter I tied up 6 cav for a minute managed to make one of them de-horse another. Which isn't a statment about how good I am, its about the lack of awareness of the other cav players. They allowed one player to tie them all up when they could have been smashing into the infantry. Had they taken a look at me they would have realised I was no real threat, Sumpter, Yanmaodao and darts... not much chop as cav with that gear. But they chased me around in circles for a minute.

I'm playing a fast hybrid build with darts, riding and shield. 15/18. What I find on NA 1 (can't play in eu my ping is just too massive) is that fast shielders nearly never break off and charge the archers/xbows. Every time I do I pull a couple of kills and disrupt the archers. The way to poo on the archers is to send in a couple of agi shielders in light gear. Round Cav Sheild weighs 4.5, its easy to keep your gear weight low enough to be able to out run most 2hers and other inf.

If more people considered dropping a point or two into PT and dropping 70wpf into throw we would go along way towards cutting down the cav and the xbows. It drives xbows mad when they get disrupted by a dart, and if the cav isn't armoured a wall of darts is going to seriously crap them out.

If more people were concentrating on filling a roll in the field instead of going for kills c-rpg would be a lot more competitive and fun. That roll doesn't have to be fixed to the class you are playing, you need to adapt to what is happening right in front of you. Its not easy but its a skill that is seldom talked about and seemingly over looked.

TL:DR l2p nusb?

Cheers,
Frank
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline isatis

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ink+water showing their true potential!
    • View Profile
    • le Clan des Cochons!
  • Faction: Le clan des Cochons!!
  • Game nicks: Cochon_Furtif_Isatis
  • IRC nick: Isatis
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2012, 04:04:30 am »
my idea, make map where roof are, you now what, accessible WITHOUT a ladder.

inb4 whine

yeah it's like the golden path of roofcamping, BUT no more ''uh i'll destroy dah ladder uh so noone in uh'' so at least you could get to those roofy pick-nick
in addition to that, make some village map with invisible wall on roof.
i like tydeus idea, BUT it's a bit too OP for infantry so let's say only 1/4 xp lost?

for the record I got alt archer, crossbow, thrower, cav, ninja shielder and one staffmaster and my main is 2h.

good roofcamping is a pain in the ass I admit.

I got a strange idea: why not putting smoke bomb into firebomb? make it 3 slot, ultra heavy, with llike 30b radius damage. high cost and maybe relied with a skill like PT. this way dedicated bomberman with 1h could fire in the hole of those roofcamper.
basically we will got a special unit anti-roof camp.

edit: i also love frank idea, even if it's more adapt and live thing with no real solution so maybe just reduce a bit weigh on low-tier throwing wep so carrying as side-wep is more effective?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 04:08:32 am by isatis »
So the new response to ranged ragers is not "get a shield", it is "learn to chamber ranged nub!"

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2012, 04:16:35 am »
Adapt or die. Sometimes adapt and die. Seriously though, is it really a huge problem? The issue seems to be team work and battle field awareness of the average player.

Adapt or die can be used as argument for everything. We invade your country and rape your women. Adapt or die.

In my eyes balance does not only contain the equal (general) effectivity of classes you are fighting, but also the distribution of classes on the server. I think it's not desirable to have a game with class a) being 50% of all players, class b) is 35% and c) 15%. (Just example values).

Possible approach to a solution:

Bonus XP are being distributed after each fight, a sum that depends on the amount of players on a server. For each of the WPF values you distribute a certain amount of XP, and depending on one's percentage of the combined WPF you get the same percentage of XP. If you have a multiplier this value will be multiplied, then.

So if a certain weapon class is overrepresented on the server, you automatically contribute a lower percentage to the combined WPF, and thus you get a small part of the XP cake.

Of course you can modify the XP values for the different WPFs, to even things a bit out. For example the Xp value for archery WPF could be smaller in general, to even improve the effect.

This way you wouldn't lower the efficiency of a class, but still its attractivity.

Feel free to further develop this idea.

Example:

End of the round. 100 players are on the server, which means 100.000 XP are to be distributed (for example, let's keep it simple).

We have 6 proficiences, so the distribution could be:

1 hand: 20%
2 hand: 20%
polearm: 20%
bows: 12%
crossbows: 14%
throwing: 14%

Bows have the smallest value as we want their amount to lower. Later we can raise the value again.

Of those 100 players 40 are archers. Each of them has 100 WPP spent. (Note that the spent WPP should count, not the WPF, as otherwise hybrids would have a big advantage!). Which means you have 4000 WPP. 12% of the entire 100.000 XP would be 12.000 XP, and as we have 40 archers every one of them gets 300 XP. Not much.

But we have only seven throwers on the server. Let's say they all have the same amount of WPP spent, too. 14% of 100.000 XP are 14.000 XP. Distributed among seven throwers means everyone gets 2000 XP! That as three times as much as the archers get! Because they use a weapon that's less rare.

Note that in my example ranged weapons get 40% XP. I would prefer a value of 33% XP combined.

This also encourages people to use alt characters if the server has too many of their current class.

Edit: just noticed that people with high AGi and WM have an advantage over strength whores. Then find another solution, for example everyone gets the same amount of the WPF XP pack, unless he didn't spend WPF on other proficiences. Otherwise he will lose the same percentage of XP of this particular WPF XP pack that he spent in other WPFs. The XP he lost due to having other WPFs will be distributed among the other players in this particular WPF XP pack.

unfortunately you have to do it this way, instead of just looking which WPFs someone has, because otherwise people would give themselves 1 or 2 WPP in each WPF to get from all XP packs. And looking how much someone spent in which WPF (which would be the normal reaction to this behaviour) is nothing else than what I just described above.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 04:35:36 am by Joker86 »
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2012, 04:24:06 am »
my idea, make map where roof are, you now what, accessible WITHOUT a ladder.

inb4 whine

yeah it's like the golden path of roofcamping, BUT no more ''uh i'll destroy dah ladder uh so noone in uh'' so at least you could get to those roofy pick-nick
in addition to that, make some village map with invisible wall on roof.
i like tydeus idea, BUT it's a bit too OP for infantry so let's say only 1/4 xp lost?

for the record I got alt archer, crossbow, thrower, cav, ninja shielder and one staffmaster and my main is 2h.

good roofcamping is a pain in the ass I admit.

I got a strange idea: why not putting smoke bomb into firebomb? make it 3 slot, ultra heavy, with llike 30b radius damage. high cost and maybe relied with a skill like PT. this way dedicated bomberman with 1h could fire in the hole of those roofcamper.
basically we will got a special unit anti-roof camp.

edit: i also love frank idea, even if it's more adapt and live thing with no real solution so maybe just reduce a bit weigh on low-tier throwing wep so carrying as side-wep is more effective?

I would be all for the smoke bomb idea, except at that point ranged would just turn off their particle effects, suddenly no smoke.

Edit: Why not make torch and firebomb capable of burning buildings instead?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 04:25:35 am by Zerran »

Offline Sir Gilinor

• Baron
  • Renown: 94
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
  • Death is Glory
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Blades of Ouroboros
  • Game nicks: Norman_Ithran
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2012, 04:53:06 am »
I agree that there are large amounts of both, but that does add to the diverse gameplay I suppose. I like ladders in battle. because it gives crappy archers like myself some cover and some realism to what the enlisted archers may have possibly done 'back then'. I do think that maybe horses should become more expensive though, since in reality warhorses were about the cost of a small plane. But having to 'repair' (lame) a horse for a crap load of money just seems stupid. My vote is keep it what it is now (in regards to cav and archers), but maybe revamp.

And i do agree that cRPG is seemingly getting more boring. The admins need to pull off something big, something that will add another level of immersive gameplay, in the next patch. I dont know how programming games go, but if we were able to have some sort of customizing our equipment somehow (i.e. color, appearance, etc) so that each person is unique, that would be sick. Like, go off the base stats of a certain equipment type, idk. But thats where i stand!
                                     Cheers
"Deus, deduc armis semper saecula."